Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Can you please recommend a hard case for my new 15 inch rMBP? The one they have in the apple store has really bad reviews. I'm looking for one that hopefully doesn't scratch it?
I know there is a sticky thread on this topic, but that is just making me more confused! :eek:
Thanks in advance

Speck cases are worth the money.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I don't know if plastic will scratch the aluminum, but dirt or sand that gets inside the case definitely will.

I have the Speck snap-on case and love it. Took it off after one week to inspect any stragglers getting inside, and so far none have. No scratches, either.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Please, are there ANY stylish, sleeve like cases that have shoulder straps? :(

I bike commute to campus, so a strap is a 100% must. That said, all I need is my Macbook, I don't want to carry a messenger bag. :( I found the Brenthaven Collins vertical (Here's a link: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HFMN2ZM/A/brenthaven-13-collins-vertical-sleeve-for-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro?fnode=4eab7743d52486ab5f929ca1789d6dc80287dd2066358e666fefcfdcdeb5e55f30b898217642abe406e847bce67ed0f505c61e56322e8a6667c43628c816448853eba9ca06300dff241a0d6d824a84b4cf9278b8584f50446f63931a2e8432d176154809d21074a52a0bc956cfe4f33a ) and I LOVE the style, but I hate that it's vertical. It looks like a purse to me.

That case in horizontal would be PERFECT. They make it, but for a 15. :( Any recommendations?

Yes. Check SF Bags. Here's one: http://www.sfbags.com/collections/macbook-cases/products/outback-macbook-sleeve

Cablekevin

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2014
Please, are there ANY stylish, sleeve like cases that have shoulder straps? :(

I bike commute to campus, so a strap is a 100% must. That said, all I need is my Macbook, I don't want to carry a messenger bag. :( I found the Brenthaven Collins vertical (Here's a link: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HFMN2ZM/A/brenthaven-13-collins-vertical-sleeve-for-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro?fnode=4eab7743d52486ab5f929ca1789d6dc80287dd2066358e666fefcfdcdeb5e55f30b898217642abe406e847bce67ed0f505c61e56322e8a6667c43628c816448853eba9ca06300dff241a0d6d824a84b4cf9278b8584f50446f63931a2e8432d176154809d21074a52a0bc956cfe4f33a ) and I LOVE the style, but I hate that it's vertical. It looks like a purse to me.

That case in horizontal would be PERFECT. They make it, but for a 15. :( Any recommendations?
I really love this one by Fabrix: http://madebyfabrix.com/collections/laptop-accessories/products/satchel-2-0-13
And the quality is awsome!

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
my 3 cents...INCASE ICON versus Thule Attache

I was just at the Apple Store to get a case for 2014 rMBP. I compared the INCASE ICON TENSAERLITE with the Thule Stravan attache, and I have to say the Thule striven attache is one beast of a case.

The ICON is a sleeve of course, perfectly snug fit, it's slick thin, but I question the side-paddings although if you want a thin sleeve i still highly recommend it.

The Thule on the other hand, great padding, an almost perfect snug fit, the movement is just BARELY there so you don't have to worry about anything, numerous pockets, and imo a higher quality compared to the incase icon case...

URL to Thule: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H...van-deluxe-attache-for-macbook-promacbook-air

URL to INCASE ICON: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H...nsaerlite-for-macbook-pro-with-retina-display

Justin Horne

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2007

I alllllmost bought that one. I don't quite like the style, but thanks for that link, that was very nearly a winner.

I really love this one by Fabrix: http://madebyfabrix.com/collections/laptop-accessories/products/satchel-2-0-13
And the quality is awsome!

I freaking love the look of that, but no shoulder strap. :(

I ended up going with the Brenthaven. It seems relatively new, I'll post photos when it arrives.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
My setup

Great thread, here's my work setup..

IMG_0075.jpg

I'll use this bag to schlep around in.

Thule_Crossover_25L_Backpack.jpg

Works great for my needs.

Chiba

itsLouieV

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Chicago
anyone have the full size incase icon backpack? or if you have the slim, what do you think of the quality? I've never really been into incase, but I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the incase icon (full size). Not sure if i should get red or grey though (not really interested in black, ALL my previous bags have been black, looking to mix it up).

anyone have an incase bag that is the same color as the grey icon? is it tough to keep clean?

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Just received my new 13" RMBPro and an SFBags.com Outback Solo case. The Solo is a waxed canvas small messenger bag with a very solid chocolate leather flap. The flap buttons with a magnetic snap. For a bit extra, you can order the Solo with a carrying strap that threads through the back of the leather flap.
On the front of the solo are two pockets. One is obviously designed for an iphone 5s, the other is a nicely bulky pocket with an extra large fold at the bottom so you can keep larger items in the pocket and they won't interfere with the closing of the leather flap. In the phone pocket I keep several pens, an apple ethernet adaptor, and a pair of nail clippers. The large pocket is easily able to hold the charger, a couple of cables, my in ear headphone bag, a cellphone charger and has a little room to spare. On the back is a long, slim magazine pocket. I can fit my ipad 3 in the pocket.
The build quality is amazing as with all Waterfield Design bags. I already have a Cargo, a waxed Muzetto, 3 gear bags, a laptop sleeve, and 2 wallets. The seams are all very thick and double stitched, and the inner bag is solidly padded. The leather flap is made of high quality leather and the magnetic fastener doesn't come unlatched.
My only small quibble is that my laptop doesn't fit quite as tight as my MBA fit in its WF laptop sleeve. Literally you had to grab the end of the sleeve to get leverage to pull out my MBA. There is some wiggle room on the Solo for my RMBP. It slips easily in and out, but is still a nice fit. However, I don't see my laptop sliding out of that bag as long as the leather flap is buttoned. That fastener is strong!
All in all a quality product as is all SFBags.com equipment. I would never hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

PS. I apologize for the image quality. The galaxy note 3 just doesn't take very good low light pictures.

Attachments

• 20140816_081555.jpg
    20140816_081555.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 292
Last edited:

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Came here to recommend the Incase Tensaerlite. Dumb name, but it works well.

It fits my 2014 MBPr 13 like a glove. It's relatively easy to take the MacBook in & out, and the magnetic latch seems secure enough -- it stays shut if you turn it upside down and shake it (not that I'd advise doing this). It's very slim, and it looks/feels like you'd imagine from the photos -- neoprene, with a thick bumper all around for protection (feels like hard plastic). You can leave your MBP in the case while charging it.

It's somewhat overpriced, but what sleeve isn't? The only drawback of this design that I can think of is that it's a bit wider than a zipper case would be, due to the magnetic strip to keep it shut. Not that that's a big deal.

I can't believe it took this long for someone to come up with a decent sleeve made specifically for the MBPr 13.

I was previously using a Booq Taipan Spacesuit, which looks nice and is well made, but it always annoyed me that it was a little loose since it was also made to accommodate the Air. Still, I may have kept it, except that, in addition to the perfect fit of the Incase, I also like the idea of the bumpers for protection.

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
I'm getting an sfbags outback sleeve or case for my new 13" rmbp. It's just perfect.

Here's the question. I'll be taking it out in public, in librarys, coffee shops, and using it on the pop up table in my Eurovan. What is the best way to protect the bottom from scratches? Is a skin enough? Or do I need a hard shell like the moshi? I really don't want both, I'd be bummed to have to buy all three things...

Any advice?

jmelick07

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Does anyone have a recommendation for a messenger bag for a 15in macbook pro? I am going to be getting a new machine for work and need a bag for it. Thus far only timbuk2 and booq have really piqued my interest.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I'm getting an sfbags outback sleeve or case for my new 13" rmbp. It's just perfect.

Here's the question. I'll be taking it out in public, in librarys, coffee shops, and using it on the pop up table in my Eurovan. What is the best way to protect the bottom from scratches? Is a skin enough? Or do I need a hard shell like the moshi? I really don't want both, I'd be bummed to have to buy all three things...

Any advice?

Normally an SFBags sleeve is pretty darn tight. I have never tried to put a skin on my laptops and tried to put them in a SFBag sleeve, but I have used a slim line USB device and it wouldn't fit.
I use my laptops all the time on such surfaces without fear of a lot of scratches. I get more concerned when I use mine up on a ladder at work, or when I am having to use it on bare concrete when working on a construction job. Even with those scenarios, no major scuffs or scratches. The feet get a little worn, but its my understanding they can be replaced. I never had to replace them on my 4 year old MBA.

Zaakkk

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
Tucano shell sleeve+Wenger slim case = £59

This is what I got for my MBPR 15" 2014 and how it looks like:
1. Tucano Innovo Shell Sleeve for 15 inch MacBook Pro/Air - Black £35

Good quality shell perfectly snugging my MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2014. It came from Italy with two years warranty and £10 voucher for new Tucano purchases.
The only reason I give 4 and not 5 stars review is that the ventilation perforation holes are situated on the bottom of the sleeve corresponding to the old MacBook Pro 15'' models. The perforation for the new models should be where the display is connected to the body and nowhere else.
817AQUMg8XL._SL1500_.jpg

61d5D2fAYyL.jpg

61QLb3--COL.jpg

61qFWX-cOOL.jpg

61YP7Id6-5L.jpg

61AMC-OSHrL.jpg

2. Wenger 68376601 Slim Index Case for 16" £24
68376601-1.jpg

68376601-2.jpg

Why 16" case? Because one must go inside of the other :)

Last edited:

mrs1986

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Uruguay
I know it's probably already discussed but what case would you use for your 15inch retina if you already own a backpack?
I bought the Incase ICON Pack the "big" one, and while the bag already has padded and fur compartment, I would like something for the laptop for when is not in the backpack. For example if I'm in a class, the desks here are tremendously small, and I don't want to put the aluminum scrapping directly on the desk...

What do you recommend? Hard case or a sleeve?

----------

anyone have the full size incase icon backpack? or if you have the slim, what do you think of the quality? I've never really been into incase, but I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the incase icon (full size). Not sure if i should get red or grey though (not really interested in black, ALL my previous bags have been black, looking to mix it up).

anyone have an incase bag that is the same color as the grey icon? is it tough to keep clean?

I got the black one, but just because I'm using it for work to, I think the red is the best looking of the three colors...

About the bag, I can't tell you anything because I haven't received it yet, but I think is the best looking bag I have seen in a while, and incase is a good brand, I have a sleeve for my air and it is just like new after 1.5 years of CONSTANT use...

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Does anyone have a recommendation for a messenger bag for a 15in macbook pro? I am going to be getting a new machine for work and need a bag for it. Thus far only timbuk2 and booq have really piqued my interest.

The Timbuk2 is the one I use for my 15"

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

cyrex78

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
What is the best hard shell/case for the 13" rMBP?

Still looking for an answer my self, just bought a new rMBP and looking to buy a new case for it.

The teck21 sold from the apple store is amazing but very expensive.
The speck seethr satin red and black looks very nice but heard a terrible reviews about it and want to see if they are true or not from someone who already owns it.

Currently have a normal case that i got it from ebay but i want something better that would not scratch my laptop when i take it off to clean it.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
Still looking for an answer my self, just bought a new rMBP and looking to buy a new case for it.

The teck21 sold from the apple store is amazing but very expensive.
The speck seethr satin red and black looks very nice but heard a terrible reviews about it and want to see if they are true or not from someone who already owns it.

Currently have a normal case that i got it from ebay but i want something better that would not scratch my laptop when i take it off to clean it.

Yeah, the tech21 looks good but I don't really want to spend $100 on it! I thought about a skin from BSE, but I would drive myself crazy trying to get it on perfect. That's why I thought I'd get a hard shell and then a sleeve...

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
I'm looking for a rMBP 15" sleeve and couldn't find one yet.

1. High quality material (leather, cork, ...)
2. A recess/cutout(?) so I can charge my Macbook while its in the case
3. An external pocket/compartment for the charger

So something like this but with a pocket.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.