Macbook Pro Battery Already Used

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikethebigo, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Hey, quick question for you guys. I bought a uMBP last night, and the first time I turned it on, iStat stated that my battery's already been through 6 cycles. I know it makes no difference in the long run, but why would that be? Just out of curiosity. I have to assume this is not a returned/refurbished unit since the store just got these systems 2 days ago!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. peppernut macrumors newbie

peppernut

macbook pro battery life

Hmm, I didn't know that the batteries had only so many cycles before dying. I noticed that mine now dies about 30 minutes after you unplug it starting with a full battery. My computer is about a year old, but is under an extended warranty. Do you know if that's covered under the warranty, or is it an expected running expense to replace the battery from time to time?
    Thanks so much,
    peppernut

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Call Apple and explain it to them ... they might send you a replacement.

5. peppernut macrumors newbie

peppernut

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Freakin humid.

7. jgo78 macrumors 6502

i just bought a new 17" 2.8 last night and installed coconut battery, it said my mac was 5 weeks old (i guess from build date) but had 0 cycles on battery.

8. cababah macrumors 68000

Mine said it had 2 battery cycles when I first turned it on...I called Apple and they said they would replace it if I wanted for free. I don't think it is an issue since these batteries are supposed to have 3x as many charge cycles but you should be able to get it replaced for your own peace of mind if it bothers you.

9. peppernut macrumors newbie

peppernut

Hot!

LOL, yep, I used to live in SE TX, worse I'm sure than even Ft Hood. Too bad so sad, I'm lovin' the 60s and 70s here in sunny London! :D

10. peppernut macrumors newbie

peppernut

Battery Replacement

Yeah, I guess I'll give 'em a call. I just had it in for a new logic board (thank God it was still under warranty) I wish I'd asked then... Thanks r.j.s.
    pn

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

What's the capacity according to coconut?

Mine shows 98% already and shows 2 load cycles.

12. TeeRav1 macrumors newbie

Same here except I have a 13" 2.5.

13. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't think 6 cycles is anything to make a bother about, I was just wondering how it could have happened. Factory testing makes sense. Here's another weird thing, iStat says the battery's health is only 98%. Again, not a big deal, but do battery health scores change after use or is it really already 2% gone?

14. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

Here's what coconut battery says:

Current Battery Capacity is 6386 mAh
    Original Battery Capacity is 6500 mAh

so battery health is at 98%.

Battery loadcycles is 6, and the age of my mac is 6 weeks.

15. cababah macrumors 68000

Same here...after 2 load cycles mine showed 98% health. I posted it on the Apple discussion forum and people said this is normal. When I charged it up, it went to 99% health and back down to 98% health.

I don't think it is worth splitting hairs over small issues like this..unless you notice a severe problem, it is nothing to worry about. I would just let it go and enjoy your computer..nothing is perfect.

It is just weird because one guy said his 13" MBP came with "0" cycles on the battery..you said "6", I said "2." When I called Apple they were kind of puzzled when I asked them if that is normal..seriously we cannot be the only ones. My guess is that most users don't pay attention to the Power management feature and actually know what a battery cycle is or do not actively monitor it like a lot of us do. If it is factory testing, why did they have to cycle mine twice??? or yours 6 times? Seriously, what gives? I would like to get to the bottom of it and find out what is really going on in this whole factory test. Is it random?

16. Lou142 macrumors member

Battery issues

Peppernut,

Just took my macbook pro to the apple store for consultation with a genius concerning my dying battery (I got about 1.5 out of the thing before I purchased a new battery). Apparently, extended warranty applies in certain cases except normal wear and tear - at least that is what I was told and what I read on the apple.com website. I've had my macbook since late 2007 (thought I was going to qualify for a new battery under the advisory apple put out about bad macbook batteries).

17. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

So now, just a few minutes later, I rechecked iStat and my battery health is back up to 100%. Very weird. I guess it does change on the fly.

18. atombu macrumors newbie

it got my UMBP17 on april.
    coconut battery said my UMBP17 is 3 months old,
    but actually my UMBP is only 2 months old..............:confused:

did anyone know the age is count on battery or the factory making date??

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It also might be that CB is not really capable of assessing these new batteries accurately yet.

20. ELab2 macrumors newbie

21. Radioman macrumors regular

I was wondering if the new built-in batteries needed the regular cal. :confused:

22. ELab2 macrumors newbie

hmmm it says (All Models) and it was updated on May 29th, if they keep it up-to-date you would think they would have added that it was unnecessary if it was. The battery is more or less the same anyway I think so I don't see why there would be a difference.

23. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm in the process of wearing it down right now for calibration. Hopefully that will help make my battery meter accurate.

24. joelones macrumors newbie

Is it normal that coconutbattery reports the following for a new 13" mbp in its 1st cycle?

Current Battery Capacity is 5509 mAh
    Original Battery Capacity is 5450 mAh

I see that your capacity 1050 mAh higher.

25. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

The 15" has a larger battery to power the extra fan and larger screen. Actual battery run times should be similar.