Macbook Pro battery - Apple won't replace

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jethryn Freyman, May 2, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Santa Rosa Macbook Pro. About two years old, now battery health is down to 18% after 150 cycles. Lasts for about 25 minutes when not on A/C power, sometiems shuts down when around 60% capacity remains, according to OS X.

I've got Applecare, but the Apple retailer I visited won't replace the battery under warranty, because they only give a 1 year warranty on batteries as they are "consumable."

No battery should fade this fast. Could I be able to get it replaced under warranty for being obviously faulty?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

3. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Applecare is 3 years. I've got 1 year left.

So even though the battery is obviously defective, Apple won't replace it., because they only put a 1 year warranty on their batteries?

It makes sense, from a warranty point of view.

4. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ya I totally agree. Try using more verbal "force" at the Apple store.

Sometimes angry customers at the Apple store that distract the Apple customers get what they want. :)

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

while i agree with NT1440 (two years old and you only have 150 cycles you must have left it plugged into the ac charger a lot), i would definitely try what adamvk is suggesting. i mean what have you got to loose.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nope, batteries are covered for the term of AppleCare if you have it. Definitely try to call AppleCare again and see what happens, they should swap with you no problem.

7. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Thanks everyone.

I'll give AppleCare a call tomorrow.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you need to prove that the battery has a manufacture defect as stated:

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think people need to EXPECT to buy replacement batteries. The battery is just like gas, or an oil change, and is not included as a long term guarantee item.

What I really don't understand is why people don't check their battery right before is one year old and replace then if problematic. I think a two year old battery is expected to fail, and I wouldn't complain one bit if I had to replace a two year old battery on my own dime.

People expect too much. Really, check it before one year, or it's on you.

10. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

did you leave the battery out of the laptop with no charge for extended periods of time? How did you manage to reduce the battery's health so low!

Apple should definately replace the battery as it's covered under applecare. Ask to have them show you where in applecare it says batteries, or even consumables are excluded. then ask the guy if he used to sell cars :D.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No they aren't. They're covered for 1 year, 300 cycles, or if the battery's charge capacity falls below 80%- whichever comes first.

12. packgrad2000 macrumors regular

You're correct, batteries aren't covered. As stated in the TOS of what's NOT covered: "Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship."

I'm not sure where this 1 year/300 cycles comes from, because I've seen that before. I think that's GENERALLY the rule the Genius's and Service Centers use to determine if they will replace the battery or not, but AFAIK they're not even held to that since the whole 1 year/300 cycles rule is nowhere to be found in the TOS. So unless you can prove it's a "defect in materials and workmanship", I think the OP doesn't have much ground to stand on. I recently tried to fight the same battle, as I have a bad battery with only 61 cycles on it, although it was a replacement from my original battery. The bottom line is, there are a lot of crappy MB/MBP batteries out there.

13. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

they used to have a MBP 15" battery recall page on the apple site, some batteries were recalled and repair centers/apple stores should have a list of affected serial number ranges, if you are in the range and have issues with a battery with less than 300 cycles and are out of warranty you should still be able to get a new battery.
    but the big if is IF you are in the serial range, my MBP's battery only had 36 cycles and out of warranty and would shut down less than 5 min after being unplugged from AC with no warning, obviously a bunk battery, but I wasn't in the 'defective' serial range so I was basically told tough luck.
    I bought a new battery a few days ago after being tethered to AC for over a year(a DR. Battery version, it was $20 cheaper than apple's but still had the apple branding and same length warranty).

14. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

No, nothing like that.

I've had mine for 2 years, it's had 150 charge cycles, and it's at 18% charge capacity.

If Apple thinks this is acceptable, I feel a little sorry for the people who have picked have the new Macbook Pros with built in batteries.

Anyway, I'll call up AppleCare and see what they have to say.

[​IMG]

(iStat Pro gives me the same stats)

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Theres something definitely wrong there. You should at the max after 150 cycles be down to 85-90%.

Not to mention it says your Mac is 2,038 years old. :3

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Batteries are covered for the AppleCare term if there is only a defect and not through consumption. If you don't have AppleCare, then regardless if it's a defect or if it's consumed, it won't be replaced.

What's going to happen is if you call AppleCare, you're going to give them your battery information (Charge Capacity, Cycles, etc.) and the computer will tell you if it's consumer or not. Clearly from your information, it's only been through 148 cycles and has a capacity of 1029. If it's consumed, the computer will flag it as consumed which at that point you will be notified to purchase a new one. Like Reanimaion stated, worse case is that your health should be around the 80-90 range not 18 percent which would occur if you were over say 350+ cycles.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Right, but if it falls below 80% within 300 cycles or 1 year, it's considered a defect and you'll get a replacement.

Depends. If your battery starts bulging and you call up Apple Tech Support they'll send you a replacement as well as a box to ship the defective one back in. If your computer no longer recognizes the battery, you'll probably be out of luck if you're outside of the standard 1-year Applecare window.

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you have AppleCare, it covers that as well. Portable no longer recognizing battery is a very common problem.

19. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Genius bar does everything based on there current mood, what jerk you get or nice guy you get.

When it comes to Apple Care over the phone. They are ALWAYS in help mode, since that is there only function. They usually will look up the problem in there "known issues" database and try to find something that matches your issue as closely as possible.

They'll then schedule a time for you to go to an Apple Store with the notes from your conversation and they will always take the cue from those notes at the Apple Store. So if they said over the phone they'll do something, at the Apple Store it will be done, ie replace battery.

My battery just exploded and that's exactly how it went down for me.

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that is pretty weird did you ever calibrate your battery?

21. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

CoconutBattery does that. It's a known problem but isn't significant.

22. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

didnt know that thanks, but my question still stands.

23. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

What does CoconutBattery do that is a known issue? I have it installed, but only run it on occasion. I also have iStatMenus and Battery Health Monitor as well. The only one of the three that is generally running is iStatMenus. It would seem to me that a small utility app that isn't even running most of the time would have very little effect on a battery, so I'd really like to know what the deal is so I can get rid of CoconutBattery if it's toxic.

24. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's not something that harms the computer in anyway but in tends to give inaccurate readings of the age of your Mac. When I first got the unibody, it said the age of it was 200+ months. I found it weird and did a little search and many people were experiencing the same thing. One poster in another forum said it was a problem (not a big one) when he got a reply back from the developer.

25. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It happened after I got my new logic board (I had one of the faulty NVIDIA graphics cards.)