Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sharky05

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
Not good news, but I was expecting something a little more dramatic for an 'exploding' battery :)

lego8

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
I was in my local apple store today and a guy brought in a few week old
macbook pro. The battery had one of the cells explode. I was able to snap a pic on my iphone quick and discreetly before the genius's swarmed the battery and replaced it quickly and quietly. Thought I would post the pic for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy.

Quite scary.

YoseMan

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2007
This happened to me in early May 2008 (and its out of warranty). Set the Macbook Pro on the desk at work in the morning and at lunchtime the computer was rocking side to side. I realized quickly the battery was no longer flush with the MP case bottom. Headed straight for the Apple store after work.

A Genius promptly greeted me and I told him what I needed. Then I said, "I also need to ask someone what happened to my battery." That stopped him dead in his tracks. "What do you mean?". I explained that situation. Now I had the attention of the manager, the Genius, and the head tech guru. I had a new battery in the thing with in 10 minutes, free of charge. Manager made a point to tell the other two, "When someone has a battery gone bad, they are not to leave the store with it. Its a hazard to person and property."

I was impressed.

YM:D

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Had the pie-eating battery problem with a number of my MBP's - at least 3 that I can directly recall - since late 06 I believe. Number of pie-eating battery problems with non-Apple notebooks in the same period: 0.

zsft

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
Hehe...when a battery in a Windows laptop explodes, it's because Windows (and the laptop's manufacturer) sucks. When a Macbook Pro battery explodes, it's clearly the fault of the battery manufactuer! :D

lol

bret

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2005
This happened to me in early May 2008 (and its out of warranty). Set the Macbook Pro on the desk at work in the morning and at lunchtime the computer was rocking side to side. I realized quickly the battery was no longer flush with the MP case bottom. Headed straight for the Apple store after work.

A Genius promptly greeted me and I told him what I needed. Then I said, "I also need to ask someone what happened to my battery." That stopped him dead in his tracks. "What do you mean?". I explained that situation. Now I had the attention of the manager, the Genius, and the head tech guru. I had a new battery in the thing with in 10 minutes, free of charge. Manager made a point to tell the other two, "When someone has a battery gone bad, they are not to leave the store with it. Its a hazard to person and property."

I was impressed.

YM:D

I have the exact same problem, they let me leave store with it, twice.

There are pics in this thread.

Jatku

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
This totally just happened to me. This morning as I was editing in FCP, all of a sudden I noticed my laptop was wobbly on my desk. I turned it over and the battery had swollen up huge. I called applecare, and they said I was out of warranty so I had to buy a new, $130 battery.

Luckily, I live pretty close to an apple store. I took it in, and they replaced it for free. Makes me wonder why the apple store employees are so nice and the applecare guy was so unhelpful.

It just depends on who you talk to. Some people don't care, and others actually try to help you out.

But about the batteries, I read that the type of batteries they use are not that dangerous when they fail. Where some may explode, the type that Apple uses just swells up like the picture.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Umm I don't call this exploding, I call this swelling. Sorry.

As for the issue ... wasn't there a battery recall? And it certainly isn't Apple's fault but it is their problem.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
This totally just happened to me. This morning as I was editing in FCP, all of a sudden I noticed my laptop was wobbly on my desk. I turned it over and the battery had swollen up huge. I called applecare, and they said I was out of warranty so I had to buy a new, $130 battery.

Luckily, I live pretty close to an apple store. I took it in, and they replaced it for free. Makes me wonder why the apple store employees are so nice and the applecare guy was so unhelpful.

I've found it the exact opposite. Just goes to show it depends on the individual person you reach...and who knows, maybe what they had for breakfast that morning.

Good story abo the battery, when people say their battery "exploded" they don't mean it literally. Its a figure of speech...it usually swells and maybe contorts. Quick question, did your notebook stop working when this happened or was it plugged in at the time?

Guess this is why they don't call them laptops or recommend you use them on your lap.

bret

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2005
I've found it the exact opposite. Just goes to show it depends on the individual person you reach...and who knows, maybe what they had for breakfast that morning.

Good story abo the battery, when people say their battery "exploded" they don't mean it literally. Its a figure of speech...it usually swells and maybe contorts. Quick question, did your notebook stop working when this happened or was it plugged in at the time?

Guess this is why they don't call them laptops or recommend you use them on your lap.

Mine was unplugged and resting in the corner of my office for weeks when this happened. Not sure exactly when it happened, as most of the mbp has failed and its more or less a paper weight until I have the time to start repairing everything.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
I was in my local apple store today and a guy brought in a few week old
macbook pro. The battery had one of the cells explode. I was able to snap a pic on my iphone quick and discreetly before the genius's swarmed the battery and replaced it quickly and quietly. Thought I would post the pic for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy.

Wow. That's one messed-up battery!

Mine went bad twice, but never swelled. I simply walked in, got a replacement (free under warranty), walked out.

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
This just happened to the battery in my MBP 2,33 C2D 17"...
Visible both over and under, but not as bad as the first picture. (Still wobbles on the table etc...

And I can't fully charge the battery (just switches between green/amber light), and it turns off without warning at mid 30'is % capacity..

I figured this would be an obvious case where they would replace the battery, but just called them and they said that they wouldn't give me a new one since it was of the "wrong series"... Thumbs up for Apple "service".. :mad:

Model A1189

kenaff

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
My Macbook just had the same problem. My battery started to bulge so I took it to where I bought it at Epi Center (Micro 2000 Technology Pte Ltd) in Singapore and they refused to replace it. They said it was year and a half old so it's out of warrantee, and besides its only bloated. I asked them to escalate to Apple, which they did, and Apply refused to replace it. I will continue to use it and hope that it doesn't get worse or cause a fire or leak. :(

Attachments

• March'10 014.jpg
    March'10 014.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 124
  • P3160007.jpg
    P3160007.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 117

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
My Macbook just had the same problem. My battery started to bulge so I took it to where I bought it at Epi Center (Micro 2000 Technology Pte Ltd) in Singapore and they refused to replace it. They said it was year and a half old so it's out of warrantee, and besides its only bloated. I asked them to escalate to Apple, which they did, and Apply refused to replace it. I will continue to use it and hope that it doesn't get worse or cause a fire or leak. :(

It's over a year old and it's out of warranty, so of course they're going to refuse to replace it.

Its your job to get a new battery. Suck it up and get a new battery. The cost of a new battery is less then an burnt down house or medical bills.

kenaff

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
I could see if it wasn't holding a charge, which it still is. Regardless, products should not risk causing fire after 1 year. It's not a warrantee issue. It's a liability issue. Perhaps if they put a sticker on it saying "may cause fire or explosion after 1 year". Any new battery would likely have the same issues. They should be recalled and fixed. Not just sell more.

It's over a year old and it's out of warranty, so of course they're going to refuse to replace it.

Its your job to get a new battery. Suck it up and get a new battery. The cost of a new battery is less then an burnt down house or medical bills.

djdizzy

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Just happened to my buddy yesterday!

Attachments

• IMG01996-20110105-1625.jpg
    IMG01996-20110105-1625.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 76

grit

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
Another post on exploded batteries

Well, I just couldn't resist in posting here. My MacbookPro also has blown his battery. Called Apple support and got a new angle on 'exploding batteries'. The guy said:

"This is perfectly normal reaction for a battery of that age. It has swollen up to alert you it has to be exchanged"

What a cover-up... A+ on creativity again Apple...

ViviUO

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
This thread is from 2008 and has been necro'd twice. Once in 2010 and again in 2011. If we include the time span between the two posts above me, then this thread has been necro'd thrice.

This concludes the fact of the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.