Macbook Pro Battery Health: Possible cause for concern?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alskdj, Aug 2, 2010.

1. alskdj macrumors member

I have the 17" Early 2009 model, purchased new in March this year. Has been cycled 28 times, and currently after calibrating is at 85% health. It's got the 1000 cycle battery, and at this rate, I doubt it will meet Apple's stated benchmarks.

As per title, is this a cause for concern?

2. vgalbin macrumors newbie

Not Really

You shouldn't worry about it because at 85% the battery will still last a pretty long time. The only time you should worry is when all of the battery indicator lights are flashing. Apple will replace it for free anyway cause its under warranty so dont worry. :)

3. alskdj thread starter macrumors member

mm, thing is I had an '06 model macbook, (which has a 300 charge battery), and was still at 98% health last month, after going through ~400 cycles.

Regarding Apple's battery policy, do they only cover 1 year from purchase, the duration of my Applecare, or their stated life span (~5 years)?

4. AnodizedFish macrumors member

You're not alone

My MBP 13 inch has 81% of battery capacity left... and it only has a 108 cycles! But yours sound a lot worse than mine...

5. NJuul macrumors 6502

Hmn, I would be a bit worried...
    If it is consistent, at least.
    I would keep monitoring it over the next several months, checking how the capacity measurements fluctuate. If it seems to be consistently dropping a few percentages every month, even after calibrations, go see apple.
    No need to do anything drastically just yet though.

6. Deedz macrumors newbie

Ummmmm my mac is about 3 weeks old. 23 cycles & 94% health. Is this a problem?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You just need to use it and recalibrate it and keep using it, and it will read the percentage properly.