MacBook Pro Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Resist, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

I was reading on the Apple site that the life of the MacBook Pro battery is 1000 full cycles, which they claim is around 5 years of average use.

I have to charge my 13" MacBook Pro everyday, so after doing the math I won't get 3 years out of my battery. I know I'm not the only person that uses their MacBook Pro on a daily basis and needed it charged just as much. Or am I?

2. bamf macrumors 6502

You should ask this in the MacBook Pro forum. ;)

Each time you charge the battery does not equal a cycle though.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What's the point of this thread? 5 years of average use does not equal 5 years of above-average use. This should be fairly obvious.

4. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

This is the Macbook Pro Forum.

Each time I charge my Macbook Pro it is a full cycle because I only do it when the battery is almost completely dead.

I don't see how using my MacBook Pro everyday is considered above average use. It is normal to use a computer on a daily basis, in this day and age.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For you, 1000 cycles will clearly come sooner than 5 years. That's because you use it more often than what Apple considers "normal." Not rocket science.

6. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Maybe you need to look at my post again, because it was not a complaint.

7. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Using it every day is not considered above average. Using it on battery power, every day, is considered above average. I use mine a lot, every day, but it's plugged in, so my battery will last me longer than yours.

8. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I do that also, but I often use it unplugged on my couch, while watching TV.

So using it plugged in a lot, has little or no effect on the battery?

9. ABadSanta macrumors regular

I'll be 99% sure in saying that your battery will not last your 5 years. It will definitely suffer after a few years of constant use.

Just replace the battery whenever it starts to get back a few years down the road, or get a new computer.

10. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

I've only had my MacBook Pro about 3 months and already I have over 100 cycles on it. :/

11. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

12. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

I use Coconut Battery.

13. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Replacing the battery is not a big deal anyway.

14. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i'm at 15 months with 488 :X

15. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I use the Istat Pro widget.

16. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

in two months i've used 52 cycles...

so 26 a month means i have 38.46 months till i start to lose battery capacity.

that's only 3.2 years. ah well. still better than any other laptop batteries i know of.

17. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

What's your battery capacity at? I'm already down to 90%

18. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Little effect on the battery, I gather. Like ABadSanta said, just use your computer the way you want to. Down the road, you will either need to replace your battery or not, but don't let that dictate your experience. Everything wears out and needs replacement some time, so enjoy it before that time comes!

19. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

So it's unlike other laptops where leaving it plugged in damages the battery? Most laptops have this problem; is the macbook pro battery controller smarter than that?

yes, i'm new with macbooks. pardon my dumb questions

20. Eradik macrumors regular

You're right, the MacBook Pro is smarter than that. The battery will NOT charge until it is at (I believe 93 percent), meaning when you leave it plugged in all the time it's taking juice directly from the cord and bypassing the battery.

That is why you'll see your battery percentage at like 99, or 98, because the battery will slowly drain without usage, but that is proof right there that it's not getting charged. Once it gets down to that magic percentage it will then charge.

Other computers are (were?) stupid, and they take the juice for the computer from the battery, which then causes extra wear on the battery due to a consistent charge/drain. I do not know if this is still a problem with new laptops, but my old Sony did this and my battery life was terrible. Macs are not like this. I always have my MBP plugged in and do a full cycle/calibration on it once a month.

21. snaky69 macrumors 603

Lithium polymer batteries have a built in chip that prevents damage from overcharging amongst other things. This whole "be unplugged as much as you can to avoid damage to the battery" myth needs to die.

22. GoGamecocks macrumors member

So would it be better to keep it charging while at home, even though the battery is full? Or would that still wear the battery out

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Leaving it plugged in doesn't harm the battery. Now, using it until it dies and then plugging in will harm the battery (this is called 1 cycle). I suggest not killing the battery just for the purpose of charging it. If you really had to use the battery, then go for it; otherwise don't try to completely kill it before you charge.

24. smithmanny macrumors newbie

I heard keeping your battery charged when it don't need charging is draining the life out of the battery.

25. snaky69 macrumors 603

Like previously mentioned, this comes from the older Ni-Cad battery days, this is no longer true with today's batteries.

Do you fully discharge and charge your cellphone everytime? Thought not. I bet you didn't notice any effect on battery life from doing this either.

You can keep your MBP plugged in 24/7 without harming battery, though it is a good idea to use it on the battery once in a while to keep the juices flowing. Constantly charging and discharging from 0 to 100% is more harmful to the battery than keeping it plugged in all the time.

I suggest you search for GJGStudio's battery FAQ on this forum, it should answer most of your questions regarding the battery.