Macbook Pro Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whatlifeforme, Aug 29, 2011.

1. whatlifeforme, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

whatlifeforme macrumors member

I just purchased a Macbook Pro. When I first opened it, it already had a full charge so I waited to charge it after use, instead of doing the "first charge," procedure - essentially charging for an extended amount of time before using.

I hope this will not be an issue. It came loaded with stuff for school, so I suppose it was used already anyways (the box was not open). I am not sure how they do this with colleges...? They just have preloaded harddrives maybe?

I have used (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490) to calibrate the battery.

What duration should I be seeing with battery time on the 15" macbook pro?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's fine. Your battery life from a charge is dependent on many factors. See the "BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE" section of the following link. You can also search this forum to check out some of the hundreds of threads that already exist on this topic. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, it is advertized for 7 hours, although you'll likely see slightly less (5.5-6 hours or so). You don't need to leave it plugged in for a long time the first time, it quits charging once it's full, so that doesn't really do anything anymore.

4. whatlifeforme thread starter macrumors member

I have used the computer for less than 2 hours this morning, and the battery status is already at 64%.

-google chrome + wifi
    -powerpoint for ~20 minutes.

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

What size of Macbook pro do you have? If it's anything above a 13", you'll need to install gfxcardstatus. Google chrome needlessly uses the high end graphic card in your computer. Without disabling this using gfxcardstatus, the battery of your mac could be greatly affected. Give it a try.

6. whatlifeforme thread starter macrumors member

i have a 15" macbook pro. it doesn't seem to improve when not using google chrome.

i am really quite disappointed; I can literally sit and watch the percentage count drop by 1%, as it drops that rapidly.

i need to compare my old thinkpad for reference.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

did you listen to blondie and get gfxcardstatus

8. whatlifeforme thread starter macrumors member

not yet, as a default macbook just purchased should have better performance than that.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your using google chrome or flash based websites isn't helping it. Also, it might still be indexing if you have a brand new computer, this eats away CPU cycles and batteries.

You do know how Apple reaches those 7 hour figures, right?

-Wi-fi on
    -bluetooth off
    -1/3 brightness
    -no time machine
    -safari refreshing a page every 30 seconds, with no flash
    - word document open

10. treestar macrumors 6502

No, you're right in line.

11. XandeR803 macrumors member

Powerpoint and chrome both use the discrete gpu. That will kill your battery life.

12. whatlifeforme thread starter macrumors member

so what do you fellow college students do? use for 2-3 lectures then charge? i suppose you would have to carry a charge around with you then.

13. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

mine goes strong for 6 hours with gfxCardStatus keeping me on the integrated GPU...

14. whatlifeforme thread starter macrumors member

what about without it?

15. bb426, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

What I generally do is charge it whenever I find an outlet at school like after class, studying, or waiting. I don't like to charge it during a lecture because I can just put it away whenever I need to without having to wind up the cord.

However, I don't even need to carry around a charger. I'm there from 7-3 and I can get home and have a 40-50 percent charge left over. I just like to bring it anyways, it helps so I don't go through so many cycles.

16. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

hmm... usually some random program pulls the GPU on... I've never used it long enough to know, but i'd say definitely a smaller number.

17. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

You say you have a default setup yet you are using Chrome. Using Chrome is not a default setup, plus it is a resource hog. Even when you're not using it, it can be pulling power. Took me about two days to figure that out so I uninstalled it. Loved Chrome on my PC but hate it on the Mac! My battery life almost double one I uninstalled that resource hog and disabled Bluetooth.

18. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

so what do you use? safari? i can't stand safari...

plus i don't think it has my favorite extension, anesidora

19. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Chrome is an ok browser, but Ladytonya is right, it's not the best choice if you're running on battery. Might improve in the future, but right now Safari is probably the best browser optimized for battery performance on a Mac.

20. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

chrome canary is where it's at :D :cool:

21. snaky69 macrumors 603

I use safari, a browser's a browser. I don't use extensions or anything like that, I don't see a point to them. I use my browser, to browse the web, and that is it, nothing else.

22. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i run the beta, actually. xD

23. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Mine lasts an entire day without needing to be charged. Leave the house at 9 and come back between 430 or 9, depending on whether I have a lab or not.

If you get the application to restrict the integrated GPU (HD3000) and don't watch much video/play many games, you should be able to get at least 7 hours easily.

24. Wavechaser macrumors member

I just downloaded this to try it out.

No matter how many times I switch to "Integrated Only", after a few minutes I go up and check the status and it's right back to "Discrete Only".

Not sure what's going on with it.

Edit: Or wait, do I want it on Discrete Only?

25. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

depends, do you wanna use the integrated card (battery life) or the dedicated (powerful)?

make sure you're running the latest version, and go into settings and make sure that it's set up correctly (make sure it's not set to pick based on being plugged in or not... unless that's how you want it to work.)