Macbook Pro black screen, Dead???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tfrog, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Tfrog macrumors newbie

I have a Mid 2009 15" Macbook Pro, A1286 model. It was dropped pretty good, so I changed the hard drive and then optical drive after. I reinstalled
    OS X 10.5.7 and then installed the apps, worked fine for hours until I tried to run Diagnostics on it twice, both times it will shut down during the diagnostic and it's dead with the black screen. First time, i waited until morning and tried to resart which it did, then died again during diagnostic. I took out the battery to reset SMC and I got it to turn on, it worked fine. Then I shut it down and now it won't turn back on?

Anybody have any ideas what i should do now?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Do you get it to post (the bong sound). Also, did you run the Apple Hardware Test?

3. Tfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

It was sitting for about two hours with the power plugged in. It just started up? I have it powered on, everything seems to work fine at the moment...

I ran the Hardware Test twice by shutting it down and starting while holding D. Both times it shut down and then was dead for hours and hours.

Then it will start up again after a long break?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call AppleCare and explain the situation. This obviously is a hardware problem that can't be software corrected. But how deep is unknown yet. Have you taken your Mac to Apple before this? Any repairs?

5. Tfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

One more thing

I forgot to put this up, the battery is cracked in the corner where it was dropped. I went to system information and it says the battery is good. I don't know if this has a effect on what's going on?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Picture of the cracked battery please? I also cracked my battery, well opened it in a sense. But I put it back together and it lasted one more year before it started degrading at its expected time (no sooner).

7. Tfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it in when I first dropped it a a while ago, they said it would be expensive to fix, so I bought a new Macbook Pro, I have been trying to fix this thing though, like I said I bout a new hard drive and optical drive.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How expensive? Because for me, I was given a $280 option that is "everything included even labor" to fix whatever issue my Mac had.

9. Tfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't remember, i took in about a year ago when it happened. Like I said I bought a new one. But now I am hell bent on fixing this thing.

Could it be the logic board?

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I understand, probably so, show me a picture of where the damage was caused. Let's try to determine what got whacked.

11. Tfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok here you go...

Attached Files:

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok, it seems the battery got the blunt of the hit. Wow, strong hit. Anyways, the force of the impact could have been transmitted over to the motherboard which is right after the battery. Any signs of damage to the motherboard? Lifted edges, moved board? Anything that seems off or out of place by a tiny bit. Remember, Macs (unibody) are engineered to be very precise, and a small misalignment means damage somewhere.

13. Tfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

No signs of damage to the mother board. I don't see anything the looks broken? The fan was spinning, so that works. I also check both USB and Firewire by hooking up and external drive and they worked.

Any other suggestions?

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Can you get a close up to the battery/motherboard boundary? I see from the second picture a small dinge to the mobo...

15. Tfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

I found this, one the small spring loaded gold pins is broken on the tip.

Attached Files:

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The pin is supposed to be free moving (up and down); broken and it might be a problem.

17. Tfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Mother board pics.

Attached Files: