Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MossyForest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
The current look for the macbook pro's have been around for 2 generations.
Heck, even the macbook's got an aesthetic update, going from a look-alike macbook pro to the new polycarbonate unibody. It seems only logical that the macbook pros will be getting a similar update in the coming days....
Can't wait, this will be the first macbook I will get and I'd rather get the newest model as opposed to the current 13" model.

What do you all think? Likely?

jsol92

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
I really hope they don't ditch the Aluminum - personally, I love it. It's one of the main reasons I'm going to buy a MBP.
Whenever I go to the mall I need to go to the Apple store just to feel one. "Mmmmm.....Aluuuuminum...."

I really don't like polycarbonate. It just looks cheap to me.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
The MBP design is fairly new. I don't see them changing the design for AT LEAST another 3 years or so. Don't get your hopes up.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
why would Apple change MBP to polycarbonate? if anything, Apple is moving away from polycarbonate towards the aluminum look. Unibody MBP was introduced late 2008, and is unlikely to receive major updates in terms of looks for the foreseeable future.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Not gonna lie, I'd like a carbon fiber MBP :)

Me too, but if i think about it, it isn't that awesome, it would get scratched as easy as Polycarbonate, and Carbon fiber cracks pretty easily of you drop it, aluminium is a better choice.

I just hope they update them soon, if they also change the outisde way better, but soon please!

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The current look for the macbook pro's have been around for 2 generations.
Heck, even the macbook's got an aesthetic update, going from a look-alike macbook pro to the new polycarbonate unibody. It seems only logical that the macbook pros will be getting a similar update in the coming days....
Can't wait, this will be the first macbook I will get and I'd rather get the newest model as opposed to the current 13" model.

What do you all think? Likely?

I'm thinking that the only reason you want Apple to change the aesthetics of the MBP is so that when you use it in public, people will be able to tell that you've got the newest one.

why would Apple change MBP to polycarbonate? if anything, Apple is moving away from polycarbonate towards the aluminum look. Unibody MBP was introduced late 2008, and is unlikely to receive major updates in terms of looks for the foreseeable future.

Aluminum is also more eco-friendly than the polycarbonate, and Apple has been recognized for this.

MossyForest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
I'm thinking that the only reason you want Apple to change the aesthetics of the MBP is so that when you use it in public, people will be able to tell that you've got the newest one.

Aluminum is also more eco-friendly than the polycarbonate, and Apple has been recognized for this.

Or possibly an aesthetical update would be a good thing. I'd like to see them make the mouse pad a little bit wider, doubt this'll happen.
Carbon fiber would be a great thing as its much lighter but the contrary more costly. The only problem with aluminum is that its a very soft metal and it will bend very easily to any medium impact or light drop. Possibly an alloy to increase the strength of the aluminum and resistance to malleability.
another good update would be to introduce colored macbook pros similar to the 5th gen ipods.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Or possibly an aesthetical update would be a good thing. I'd like to see them make the mouse pad a little bit wider, doubt this'll happen.
Carbon fiber would be a great thing as its much lighter but the contrary more costly. The only problem with aluminum is that its a very soft metal and it will bend very easily to any medium impact or light drop. Possibly an alloy to increase the strength of the aluminum and resistance to malleability.
another good update would be to introduce colored macbook pros similar to the 5th gen ipods.

Yeah, nothing says "Pro" like a pink laptop.:rolleyes:

The trackpad doesn't need to be any wider. Why would I want to lift my finger in order to get across the screen?

They aren't going away from aluminum any time soon. They spent a lot of money and time on designing a whole new manufacturing process.... they aren't going to make a major change now. Embrace the aluminum.... it'll be around for a while.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007

We saw what happened last time when people wanted an aesthetic update...for the simple fact of having a aesthetic update (MBP to uMBP). Same with the cinema displays and iPhones [3G to 3GS]. Change the innards to be an entirely new system and leave them saying "wtf?" but modify the appearance slightly, changing nothing else and it's a championed as a bold new player in the era of computing lol.

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
I doubt the body will be updated for at least another year or so. Look at how long they kept the prior design for. It was certainly quite a while.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008

cronin1024

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
I agree with the others and doubt that there will be an updated body for a while. Apple seems to keep the design of their 'pro' line the same for long periods of time. The current Mac Pro, for example, is nearly identical to the Power Mac G5 that was launched in June 2003. The old, non-unibody MacBook Pro that was discontinued in January 2009 was nearly identical to the aluminum PowerBook G4 launched in January 2003. Based on this, I wouldn't be surprised if the unibody MBP design remained through 2014.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
I love the current design, but, I'd love it more if I could have the hood in a glossy black.. I've always wanted a black Mac :(

Something like this would be amazing..
macbook-pro.jpg

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
I said it in 2009 before the Unibodys came out, and I'll say it again.

I just can't fathom where they can go from here. With the exception of the glass screen, the uMBP is in my mind, perfection. I just can not fathom what Apple could possibly do to change it for the better.

Then again, I said that with the old Macbook Pro, and they definitely changed that design for the better.

In any case, we'll be seeing this design for a long time.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
one thing apple can do is to ditch the cd drive, make it external and make the mbp thinner without the dvd drive.
imagine a thinner mbp, that would be sexy! mmmm...

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
one thing apple can do is to ditch the cd drive, make it external and make the mbp thinner without the dvd drive.
imagine a thinner mbp, that would be sexy! mmmm...

Or just a more powerful notebook in general - just think what apple could do with that extra space.

As for a case redesign, you guys are DREAMING. Apple didn't spend millions on R&D to create the unibody design, just to ditch it 2 years later.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
I love the current design, but, I'd love it more if I could have the hood in a glossy black.. I've always wanted a black Mac :(

Something like this would be amazing..

Yea, then we can all complain about how HP totally ripped off Apple's designs.

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Ditching the optical drive would be a dumb move for anything but a true ultra-portable like the Air. And since it seems from the posts around here that a huge number of people on here basically use their MBPs as portable DVD players with web and e-mail, it would be cumbersome to use an external optical drive.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
et me tell you some facts which are the reason why carbon fibre will never be used most likely.

Not too long ago, Apple, was publicly humiliated by Greenpeace. Now no matter what you may think of Greenpeace, it's never a good thing for them, to raise to the public just how poisoness your manufacturing processes are!!

So Apple spent a huge fortune to retool, redesign it's MB Pro range to use lots of alluminium and glass and arsenic free this and that etc etc. This made Greenpeace happy who then placed Apple as amongst the top eco freindly PC manufacturing company's.

So Apple are VERY unlikely to start using a material such as carbon fibre as I doubt it's as recyclable as glass and allu?

And I do not forsee any austhetic change unless they have to move the ports around to accomodate new cooling deisngs.

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
anodized aluminum options would be nice...Black, White, Silver to keep it out of the ridiculous realm of pink and sky blue pro laptops. Not to mention the anodization would make them even more impervious to dents and scratches.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Ditching the optical drive would be a dumb move for anything but a true ultra-portable like the Air. And since it seems from the posts around here that a huge number of people on here basically use their MBPs as portable DVD players with web and e-mail, it would be cumbersome to use an external optical drive.

I disagree, kind of. I think it would be nice if Apple gave you a CTO option to ditch the optical and grab a second HDD or SSD. Personally since having the Air I haven't found a reason to be married to the idea of an optical drive. However, if you have but only one machine it does make life difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.