MacBook Pro - Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Garywoo, Jan 19, 2008.

  1. Garywoo macrumors newbie

    Garywoo

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    Like me, I'm sure many of you were disappointed at apples lack of updates to the MBP line at MacWorld '08. I was planning to buy the 2.4ghz 15" MBP after they were updated (perhaps multitouch trackpad or new keyboard/redesign) but now seeing as there was no update, I'm considering buying one now, but the other half of me is telling me to wait for a revision.

    Does anyone have any idea when new models may be announced?:confused:
    Maybe you guys could help me out with this decision?
    Thanks :)
    Gary.
     
  2. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #2
    I think your wish list is a bit extensive there. No one knows if the mbp will get multitouch trackpads soon, and I think it's a fairly safe bet that the design isn't going to change anytime soon. ;)

    The one thing to wait for, however, is the new Intel chipset. It will be another gradual step and it would probably be good for you to wait at least a couple more days (until Tuesday) and see what happens.
     
  3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #3
    Just keep waiting! Keep waiting! Any day now! :D
     
  4. Superjanne macrumors member

    Superjanne

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    Location:
    NORWAY
    #4
    i order one yesterday :D

    i now its coming better soon, but it always coming better ones, maybe tomorrow, maybe june, sep you now what i mean?!
    so i wouldt wait longer. the present one is all that for me.
     
  5. Shua macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    #5
    Its six of one, half dozen of another.

    You can't go wrong with the current model. Its just nice to have an updated version since Intel released (or is about to release) the updated chip. You gain 0-7% max to normal operations. You may get up to 30% increase if you have SSE4 instructions in your applications. You also gain about 20-30mins on your battery run-time.

    If the initial results are accurate from third parties.
     
  6. Superjanne macrumors member

    Superjanne

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    Location:
    NORWAY
    #6
    just wonder, if its new realese tuesday, cant i just call APPLE and tell i want the newest then?
     
  7. chewbacca390 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #7
  8. Superjanne macrumors member

    Superjanne

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    Location:
    NORWAY
  9. Shua macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    #9
    Just stress you want the Penryn and use the intel number

    T9500 - 6 MB L2 - 2.60 GHz - 800 MHz
    T9300 - 6 MB L2 - 2.50 GHz - 800 MHz
    T8300 - 3 MB L2 - 2.40 GHz - 800 MHz
    T8100 - 3 MB L2 - 2.10 GHz - 800 MHz
     
  10. skierdb526 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    #10
    so are most banking on tuesday or next tuesday? and why tuesday? what makes people believe there will be a presumably silent update tuesday?
     
  11. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #11
    Well my university's bookstore has "special" pricing on the current mbps, and they usually do that when an update is ~2 weeks away, so I guess we're within a 2-week window for a possible update.
     
  12. Shua macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    #12
    just a longshot.

    They upgraded the Mac Pros a week before the "Air Jordan" show and hopefully they will do the MB/MBPs a week after the "Air Jordan" show. No facts just wishful thinking
     
  13. Superjanne macrumors member

    Superjanne

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    Location:
    NORWAY
    #13

    what do you mean? pleasE?
     
  14. skierdb526 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    #14
    what are your school's special prices?
     
  15. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #15
    Apple traditionally updates products on Tuesdays. However, with Martin Luther King day this Monday, the update could very well be pushed to Wednesday.

    Most macbook pro updates have been simple "silent" updates (beyond the introduction at MacWorld 06 o/c).
     
  16. chewbacca390 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #16
    So do I buy an MBP in two weeks if they haven't updated? If you say yes, consider that I just moved two weeks closer to the actual update....is it then worth waiting? Wait or not, how to decide....
     
  17. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #17
    I wouldn't expect any new Macbook or Macbook Pro updates until the Macbook Air can ship and "sink in" to peoples awareness of the product. If they redesign either of the other two it will pry people away from the Air which is not something they want to do at its launch. I expect an update in March at the earliest. Both were updated last on November 1st (even thought the Pro only got a 2.6 Option, Apple counts things like that as updates).

    Does anyone really expect new product announcements in the next two weeks? Macworld just happened, and none of the new products are even shipping yet (Time Capsule, Apple TV Update, Macbook Air). The only thing that happened was rentals on iTunes and the iPhone/Touch update.

    My advice, if you really need one, then get it because the current models are awesome.
    If you really don't need it that badly, defiantly wait because I think the next model will be a redesign versus a regular upgrade.

    The only likely hardware difference between the two will the newer Multi-Touch features (it is unclear if the current models can be upgraded with firmware for this purpose) and some minor speed bumps. However, while the Penryns aren't that much faster, they are better for battery life. The new ones will likely get the Macbook Air Keyboard. Possible that a Blu-Ray player may be included, but Jobs again blew off the format war in that recent interview at Macworld. He said Blu-Ray won, but then moved on to talking about iTunes Movie Rentals in HD.
     
  18. Superjanne macrumors member

    Superjanne

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    Location:
    NORWAY
    #18
    if you wreally must have the latest you should wait. but the current one rocks to :cool:
     
  19. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #19
    There is actually a very certain way to determine whether or not you should buy.

    First, gather all the forest wood you can.

    Then, light some incense.

    Go into a deep meditative state.


    Then, finally, ask yourself: "do I need a new computer?" ;)
     
  20. Shua macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    #20
    The new processor is a 45nm Core CPU where the current lineup is 65nm. Each processor has an internal model since Apple has a current 2.6Ghz CPU but its internal number is something like 5600. As intel has gotten away from running strickly on CPU speeds. You can have three generations of CPUs all at 2.60 Ghz. But the bus speed may increase per model, etc.. the key word you want to make sure is "Penryn" or "45nm" core CPUs
     
  21. Superjanne macrumors member

    Superjanne

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    Location:
    NORWAY
    #21
    and i dont thint the new one is going to be so much better with penryn . or what?

    is it so that its just 8 % faster anyway?
     
  22. Shua macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    #22
    0-7% faster in day to day tasks.
    30% faster if your Application uses the SSE4 Instruction Set. Its shortcuts for programs to bypass some of the required tasks.

    Battery life is about 20-30mins

    Its not a substantal update but the current CPU but never hurts to squeeze a little bit more at the same price.
     
  23. chewbacca390 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #23
    What about this: I am willing to wait until about Mid/late-March before I buy. Considering that, should I definitely wait? Will there definitely be an update by the end of March?
     
  24. noodle654 macrumors 68020

    noodle654

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    Never Ender
    #24
    I have been waiting since August...I decided after all that I really don't need all the CPU power from the the 2.4/2.6GHz 15". I went on eBay and bought a 2.2GHz 15" for only $1650 new. I really think that waiting for it is pointless. THe technology on a MBP is great, you can get many years out of it.
     
  25. thechidz macrumors 68000

    thechidz

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Location:
    New York City
    #25
    I sense sarcasm in the force:rolleyes:
     

Share This Page