Macbook Pro Buyers Glossy or not????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trojan675, Jun 14, 2008.

1. trojan675 macrumors newbie

I am about to replace my old one and when I bought it last year, I didnt think about a glossy or non screen?

1.) Whats the difference?
    2.) What should I pick?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you "Search Forums" for "glossy or matte" you'll find dozens of threads where this has been discussed. Bottom line, go look at both for yourself and decide which you prefer. It boils down to personal preference and there's no substitute for a "hands on" evaluation before you buy.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

So, which one do you have now? Do you like it? If not, then get the other.

4. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

IMO Glossy is a bit brighter, you could say more vibrant. I find the glare it produces annoying and the shinyness to hurt my eyes after awhile.

So personally, I prefer matte. It looks great, and has a very crisp color. Thats just my opinion.

5. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

IMO Glossy is a bit brighter, you could say more vibrant. I find the glare it produces annoying and the shinyness to hurt my eyes after awhile.

So personally, I prefer matte. It looks great, and has a very crisp color. Thats just my opinion.

6. omueller macrumors newbie

Without getting into the details, I prefer the matte screen for doing software development on my MBP.

- Onyx

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

8. Eric. macrumors regular

Is there much of a difference between the glossy Macbook (Blackbook actually) and a glossy MBP? The only place around here that sells Macs is Best Buy, the last time I was there they had a matte MBP, MBA, and gloss Blackbook on display. Would that be good enough to choose between, or even looking at PC laptops and their monitors?

9. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I prefer the glossy screens, myself, so that is what is on my MBP.

Alas, 24" external monitors with glossy screens are rather scarce (and I don't like the limited connectors of the HP model), so my Dell 2408FPW has a matte screen.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Glossy = Glare, more vibrant/vivid colors, higher contrast, nice for movies/videos

Matte = Anti-glare, more accurate colors, better for photo/video editing.

I have matte and I will never get glossy if I can help it.

11. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

ok so i had this same dilema and i was afraid that the matte wouldnt look as good as the glossy for movies and what not, but then i went and saw them side by side and the matte really does look amazing. i would have gone glossy but the glare would annoy me on campus next year so i went with matte. i think if you go with matte you wont have a problem, and if you go for glossy, you could either really like it or really hate it. best thing is to go to an apple store or best buy and see them side by side

12. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

I have matte on mine as I prefer that for web design work and find it more comfortable on the eyes when I'm working all day on the MBP. If I used my machine just for play - games, DVDs etc - then I'd probably go glossy.

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

14. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I personally prefer the matte, but it's really what you decide you like better, check them out in person and decide for yourself, this is one feature that no one can sell you on, because it's purely personal preference.

15. iphonematt Guest

I have glossy on my MBP and if i were to buy another MBP, I would get the Matte screen. My neighbor has a MacBook and I loved the screen so when I ordered my MBP, I got glossy. When I went to school, all of the MBPs there had matte and I loved it even more! I prefer matte but it is up to you.

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Just picked up my Glossy MBP, and so far im loving it, i love the way the colours pop off the screen!

17. danedane5 macrumors member

danedane5

I just purchased a glossy display and i LOVE it. Sure you see reflections sometimes of the things around you but everything looks so much nicer compared to my other matte powerbook, Id go glossy :D

18. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I was just at the Apple store and honestly could not tell a significant color difference at all between the two. The Glossy's was better in a very minor way I thought, but was not worth the risk of being annoyed by the glare. Thus, I went Matte.

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ever since led backlighting.. matte all the way. So much vibrant and even brighter than glossy.

I've owned the glossy from my previous mbp all in led as well.. but I remember wanting the matte and now I got matte back and couldnt be happier.. for some reason matte is brighter than the glossy.. ever since led backlighting.. makes the colors just pop out at you in matte.

Just dont know what it is.. the glossy felt like something was inbetween me and the screen and matte was just popping out bam right there infront of my face.

I've been through 3-4 glossy in led mbp's and while I had them Id always want to go back to matte and the matte for some reason was brighter at fullbrightness as well.

20. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I have owned both glossy and matte displays. Everytime, though, I always tend to like matte much more than glossy. I hate reflections on my screen.

21. reifiedbeans macrumors newbie

Matte. The LED lit screen is simply beautiful. Reflections suck, even on our imac which is always inside and doesn't face windows.

22. jbaird77 macrumors member

Went to the apple store to check it out... the difference isn't that big, at least not in the Apple Store. There was glare on the glossy, which was kinda sad because the Apple Store isnt even that "well-lit". So I went Matte :D

23. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

24. rpg1hero macrumors newbie

Is a dead pixel more noticeable on a glossy or matte screen?

25. jbaird77 macrumors member

I'm going to go with Matte because with glossy, you are too busy trying to position the screen away from sun/light glare to notice XD

matte ftw