MacBook Pro Case Recommendation for College Student

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rossiskiracer91, Dec 1, 2014.

1. rossiskiracer91 macrumors member

Hey everyone I just bought a new MacBook Pro and am in need of a case. I sifted through the forum dedicated to cases, but wasn't quite sure what would be best for my needs.

Anyways, I'm a college student so I will be taking my computer to class every day. I see a lot of people with the Speck hard plastic cases but I read about them bending the corners of the retina screen and causing heat issues. For a sleeve I saw a few at Best Buy and I liked the Thule the best but don't know if there would be something better. I already have a backpack with a padded laptop pocket but want more protection for my investment. What would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance!

2. icsd08063 macrumors member

icsd08063

I went with Samsonite's Aramon NXT 13" sleeve.

Lightweight (it is a sleeve after all), durable so far, quality in zipper.
    It does protect my MacBook quite well but don't have too many requirements from it: it is a soft sleeve and the laptop inside can be damaged if dropped in a weird angle I think.
    If you plan to put your sleeve in your backpack, I think it would be ok. I put my MacBook inside the sleeve and then inside my Samsonite backpack.

For 20$ I bought it from Samsonite's outlet store in NY, it was a fair choice.

3. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! That case looks pretty nice. Do you know if it's water proof? I'm contemplating if I should get the plastic cover in addition to a sleeve. I'm concerned about what I read though.

4. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

5. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

I haven't considered a screen protector as I didn't know they made them. So you would recommend the speck? I actually bought one and read about the corners bending and all the issues they cause so I took it off after 15 minutes. I found out today I can get it for $35 at my university tech store though. I'd be cool with it if I for sure won't have any issues.

6. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

7. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

Speck is one of the best cases and also mosh is good. I used speck for my previous macbook pro non-retina for two years and I didn't have issues. Right after I got my brand new rmpb couple of weeks ago I bought speck case at apple. So far it's doing ok and no issues.

8. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! I thought I could go without one but I'm so paranoid about scratching my new MacBook. I had a late 2008 MacBook and it only had a few scratches but I didn't take it to school with me often.

This is what I was taking about in post #4: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1546965

9. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Get the Thule if it's the hard case. I've never bothered with Speck cases. People forget that sleeves only protect from scratching. They will not protect your laptop from 10 lbs of books pressing against your laptop as it slams against your body while you run around to classes.

10. TheChrisBlaze macrumors member

Get a nice sleeve; this one, specifically:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source: I was a college student once; this sleeve is both fashionable and utilitarian. It will certainly give you the ample protection.

11. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

I was considering this one. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/thule-g...9597125&pid=1219033934192&pcatId=abcat0515025

That looks pretty nice. I'll have to check it out

12. icsd08063 macrumors member

icsd08063

I will wash it pretty soon but from my perspective, no it is not.

13. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I don't carry it separately. My backpack has a special pocket for a 15" or smaller notebook. I use that when I bring my rMBP or my iPad.

14. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

My backpack has a pocket with gel on the bottom in case you drop it. I still feel like I need something for times when I don't have my backpack. If I got a hard plastic case I could just throw it in my backpack, but if I got a sleeve I'd use that in addition to the computer compartment. My only concern with the sleeve route is that it might get scratched when I have it out in class. It's a tough decision.

15. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I don't like to through my MacBook anywhere unless it's by itself or wrapped in a cheap string bag. Something to cover its ports.

16. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

17. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

18. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

19. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

20. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

No and I never have. I honestly just try to be smart about how I handle my laptop. I don't let people poke at my screen and I wash my hands before typing on my keyboard. All that other stuff, and the hassles that go with it, are (in my opinion) not worth it.

21. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I think I'll just be very careful. My old MacBook was mint, but I only took it to class the past two years.

22. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

Have you heard anything about the revised version of the Thule Gauntlet?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/thule-g...gray/7576495.p?id=1219281465010&skuId=7576495

23. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

MacBook Pro Case Recommendation for College Student

Interesting that you ask that. Yes, I did compare both cases. This one is available at the Apple Store, the other I had to buy from Best Buy. I'm no expert but I went with the one in the first link you sent from Best Buy.

I thought it felt more rigid in the middle of the case because of the parallel ribs. I thought the one sold at the Apple Store was easier to depress in the middle since it's shaped as a single rectangular center. If you compare both side by side you'll see what I'm talking about. In reality, both cases will most likely protect your laptop similarly.

I like my Thule case so much I'm thinking of buying another just to have in reserve before they stop making them. lolll

24. rossiskiracer91 thread starter macrumors member

I was kind of thinking that would happen. I'm going to get the first model for sure then. Thanks for your help!

25. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Glad I could help.