MacBook Pro casting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Porterhouse, Oct 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Porterhouse macrumors 6502

Porterhouse

Hi, all. Normally my friends and family come to me for advice on cell phones and computers, so you're my last resort. (And probably the most knowledgeable as well. . .)

I'm a college professor, and in the evenings, I teach online. It's Communication (or Speech Communication); the students are supposed to submit their speeches to an unlisted youtube for me to grade them. (Juggling all of that on a 13 inch screen is kind of tough anyway.

The vidoes aren't casting as well as they used, but I understand that if I had Apple TV, I could duplicate my screen. Can I extend it as well?

Any advice I can get would be welcomed! Thanks in advance!

2. Starfia macrumors 6502a

Starfia

I hope I understand your question.

With modern Macs and a modern Apple TV, the display connected to the Apple TV can be used wirelessly using AirPlay as though it were a connected monitor – meaning you can select whether it mirrors your Mac's display, or acts as a second display at its native resolution or a scaled resolution.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289#mirrormac

3. Porterhouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Porterhouse

Starfia, I didn’t do a great job at explaining, but yes, I believe you answered it. Thank you! I didn’t want to spend the money unless it was going to work!

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

Depending on the distance to the TV you could also connect it via an HDMI call;e and have it be a second display for a cheaper option.

5. Porterhouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Porterhouse

I picked it up today; I'm very pleased. I thought about doing as you suggested; my computers at work are setup that way, but given just how much I work at home, this is worth it. (Plus, the wonderful TV options too!)