Macbook Pro Charger soaked in water

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by omgbro, Sep 6, 2013.

1. omgbro macrumors newbie

Hi all. Have done a search throughout the site and Google. For this issue many people have said to place in a bag of rice which I am doing now. Most people have recommended purchasing a new charger. However there are no real responses to the question of will a damaged charger damage a laptop? Responses greatly appreciated.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't take a chance. Buy a new one. Power adapters are what can seriously damage your Mac.

3. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Just buy a new, genuine Apple charger for your laptop. Don't risk damaging your laptop because you don't want to spend the extra money for a new charger. Not trying to be blunt, but I feel it is better to be smart about it and not take a risk of damaging your machine.

4. omgbro thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I'm asking. How can a damaged charger damage the hardware of the laptop? I know that the best option is to replace it. Can anyone answer this question please?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How damaged is it? I would not know, nor can anyone here know. Why? You'd have to open up the charger and check for water damage to the circuitry. Which is why we just simply reply, Buy a new one.

6. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

It will fail sooner or later, get a new one to avoid more trouble.

7. omgbro thread starter macrumors newbie

Dearest members I do appreciate the replies. I am getting a new one, however my question still stands about the science about it. I was asking explicitly how it can damage the laptop. Thank you

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

A damaged charger can deliver either low voltage, low current, over voltage or over current.

Either one that happens will damage your MagSafe power input. Why? It is designed for a specific voltage specification and current range. Anything out of spec can then burn your circuitry (or your battery).

Simple as that.