Macbook Pro damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by faust, Mar 3, 2008.

1. faust macrumors regular

faust

Hello everyone! About two weeks ago I noticed black dots on my laptops surface, left of the touchpad. And I thought they might be pieces of dirt or something along those lines, so I tried lifting them up with tweezers. That did not work, and I noticed that they were below the surface, which utterly horrified me.

I love my Macbook Pro, I've had it since July of last year and hasn't let me down since, but I'm absolutely perplexed as to why these black dots are showing up. There are a bunch of smaller ones farther to the right of the three big ones I have in the below picture.

Is this from the laptop heating and cracking the casing above? Or what the hell is going on? I don't deal with any weird chemicals at all, even at college, so could someone help me figure this out?

[​IMG]

2. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

3. Mister9 macrumors regular

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The surface protection layer is thin, for some people their body moisture reacts with holes in the layer to corrode the surface.

5. faust thread starter macrumors regular

faust

1) No I haven't changed the hard drive.

2) No, I do not smoke at all.

3) That's what I was thinking. Is there anything I can do about this?

6. hassouni macrumors member

It's most likely the pitting issue common on MBPs/Al PBs, due to acidic sweat. Do you type with your hands resting on the comp?

7. faust thread starter macrumors regular

faust

Yes, of course I do.

8. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Remind me never to shake your hand.. hehe.

j/k

-JoE

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Take your computer into to the Apple Store while you still have warranty time left! The case shouldn't be "deteriorating" like that, and as long as they don't think YOU caused the damage (like scratching from a watch band or something), you may be able to get them to replace the top case.

10. faust thread starter macrumors regular

faust

across99: Do you think they could replace it in the store or would I have to deal with having it shipped to some god forsaken factory?

The only reason I ask is because this is only the second time something has gone wrong with an Apple product for me. I bought an iPod for my mom at a Best Buy before the Apple store in my town opened up and they sent it to some factory to get it worked on and sent us back a refurbished one in it's place.

11. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

more than likely they are going to send it off to be repaired. I would highly doubt that they would do the repair right then and there.

12. faust thread starter macrumors regular

faust

Kinda screwed for my classes later in the week then. Thanks for the help everyone!

13. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

then I would wait until your school work is done. this way you'll be able to afford to be w/o your laptop for hopefully just a little while.

14. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Looks like a warranty issue but don't procrastinate like I did w. my buzzing display. My year ran out and they wouldn't do crapola.

Take it in asap!

15. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

If all it takes is a replacement of the casing, they should be able to do it there. I had an old MacBook Pro's casing replaced and they did it there. I had to wait for the parts to come in but they called me when they arrived and I got to hold on to my MBP until they came in. The replacement only took them half a business day to get to and finish.

Give it a shot.

16. faust thread starter macrumors regular

faust

Alright, set a Genius Bar reservation for tomorrow. Let's see what happens! Fun!

17. hassouni macrumors member

If you do get the top replaced, invest in some Moshi Palmguards or Invisible Shields. The top of my PB got wrecked over 4 years, since I didn't know of their existence.

18. faust thread starter macrumors regular

faust

Those are the plastic coverings for the casing, right?

19. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Usually something like that what theyll do is determine whether its covered under warranty,looks like it should, doesnt look like its been scratched or attacked ...theyll give you the option of keeping the computer there, waiting until the part arrives th en they replace it and then get ahold of you, or you can have them take a look, theyll let you know etc etc theyll order the part clal you tell you to bring it in and then you wait usually depending anywhere from the time you come in to a few days.

most of them are pretty generous and nice about repairs and turn around times from my experience.

20. comptr macrumors 65816

they have replaced the top casting on my macbook pro in store and if they do not have the part in store then ask them if they can order it and then call you. Then you won't be out of a computer for more than 1 day.

21. gothamm macrumors 6502a

hahaha, was my first reaction.

22. hassouni macrumors member

Right

23. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

Im having this issue too.... please keep me updated on what happens at the Genius Bar today!! :D

I feel sort of foolish for bringing my comp in for such a minimal reason, but I really would like these blemishes gone.

24. Vedhead macrumors member

Vedhead

would be an easier fix...resin would come off easily with some 99% isopropyl alcohol...

25. PDE macrumors 68020

May I suggest MOSHI palmguard and trackpad film? It's the best palmrest protection I've come across: blends in perfectly with not large and ugly logo, provides an almost hard surface protection and doesn't wear out. beats the pants off marware for quality. And the company is really good to deal with too.