MacBook Pro Deal or Not

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPad Retina, Jul 15, 2015.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hello Im looking into getting A Macbook in US, I found one on craigslist and I its an okay deal $2150 without taxes too! Sealed! The 2015 15" 2.5 512GB Model with the RMD Graphics. Is there any difference between a US and a Canadain Macbook Pro?

Is this a good deal if I can get it for less?

Thanks in advance!

I can buy a new one for 2700CAD add 250 for Applecare or One new box missing with applecare for $2600

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

No difference. Both share the same keyboard layout.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No difference there's no country specific configurations between the US and Canada.

4. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

FWIW, purchasing from Craigslist should come with a warning - you might get a POS, ripped off, or the crap beat out of you.

6. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Have you ever had a bad experience with craigslist.

I've bought my Macbook on local classifieds. But not sealed

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Applecare is $350 for the 15"

Can you post the CL listing of your first option?

8. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

????

The place that is selling is offering Applecare for less.

9. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Yes it is a good deal. Make sure you meet them in a public place like at a startbucks or something. Open it and turn it on before you pay them. 2150 is a huge savings. I was able to get $500 off that model recently and after tax it was still $62 more than what they are selling it for.

10. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Its tough should I buy a used Mid 2014 or Late 2013 with Applecare???

Should I just buy in Canada instead?

So hard to decide!!!

11. BATman.Berlin macrumors newbie

Take the piece of mind and buy at Apple. This makes sure it is a legal Mac and not something that might have fallen off a truck.

12. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Don't forget about the 25% premium on the US dollar. That is a factor in the price.

13. BATman.Berlin macrumors newbie

My daughter is still using my 2008 MacBook. They are hard to kill. Surviving even teenagers ... If you are happen to be in the US, visit a Bestbuy and look for open box deals (they have it on their website) also Apple is selling refurbished laptops. Also the previous generation is not bad because it was replaced by a later gen. They are still outperforming many current Windows PC's. The touch force trackpad is nice, but not worth spending the premium for a top notch model.

14. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

If I do find an open box how about the warranty?

Is buying a geek squad certified Mac that important?

15. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hey just spotted a 2015 MBPR for $2000 has receipt, and AppleCare, and sealed, if I do plan on buying then I would need to open the Macbook right in front of her since it's sealed, its even a better price then a opened box!

Link: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/sys/5130724851.html

16. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

An open box item from an authorized retailer has a warranty, although Apple may start it on the original sale date not the day you buy it. I had one they did that and one that started on the day I bought it. One may have been a return that was registered with Apple and the other a display model that had never been sold. Even a second hand model still under warranty would have have the remainder of the warranty; as long as it wasn't damaged or something else done to void the warranty.

Geek squad certified is just a way to try to get a few more $$$ on used equipment. When I buy used from BB I look for one that is the cheapest but in pristine shape. I bought my iPad like that - no box, no papers just iPAD/charger/cable but it was over $300 below list and looked and works great.

17. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Always open sealed items. It's far to easy to open a box, replace the content with some weights or an older model to make it feel right, and reseal the box. If they balk at opening it walk away from the deal. More to the point, if it is sealed and new why don't they just return it to where they bought it?

As my econ prof once said, "The first thing to do when you find a $100 bill on the street is ask, 'Why me?'"

18. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

The person ran out of time to return it 14 day policy

19. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Ask for the serial number to check with Apple to make sure it is not stolen and to verify date of purchase.

If everything checks good, then it's a good deal.

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Good reason. Still, insist on opening the box and verifying serial numbers, etc.

21. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Well one good way is to check if the computer has been activated/ registered with Apple.

22. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

The first one I've mentioned is now $2100 no tax, I believe it's one of those private dealers or something like that, how are they able to get it cheeper then $2100?

Here is the link: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/sys/5137569478.html

Where would be a good place to get AppleCare? eBay, Amazon, Apple?

Another question I have is can I get AppleCare for the computer in a different country?

Im located in Canada, I bring the computer back and decide to get AppleCare there. What would happen?

23. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Applecare is worldwide it doesn't matter where you are.

Buy applecare somewhere reputable, the easiest way is just to activate it online with apple once you've registered the device.

Nobody can tell you how and why computers turn up cheap online all the time but they do, usually they are bought in america and taken somewhere else. They could also be stock from abusiness gone bust sold off cheap people selling gifts and things they have won. Who knows, buying anything online from a private seller is a risk you can minmise it but never eliminate it. So you can either pay retail or take a punt.

I bought my 2013 rMBp off ebay for £300 less than retail in jan 2014 brand new boxed and sealed and it registered with apple as new no problem, bargain... but I did take a small risk buying it.

24. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Nice deal!

He seem pretty reputable, he claims he sells a lot of 13" retina's 256GB

Should I ask for his id just to check if he's legit when meeting?

25. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can do.

I would meet somewhere public and busy to do the deal. It would be nice to check the computer first but he may insist if you open it and it is fine then you buy it as it's sealed. Seems fair to me if he does but you are commiting at that point.

I would ring him up and chat to him if you haven't already and go with your gut if it seems good go for it. If it doesn't then steer clear, in no way foolproof but it's just about the best your gonna get.

See if you can get him to give you the serial number, ther are a few websites around listing serial numbers of stolen macs so it's worth a quick check. Other than that it's your call take the risk or pay more...