MacBook Pro - different colour keyboard backlighting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DavoMrMac, Jul 12, 2007.

1. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

I was just showing my son, my new MacBook Pro and he came up with a brilliant idea.

He said, wouldn't be cool if you could change the colour of the keyboard backlight, and even added that it could be done with voice control.

How cool would that be !!!

Anyone know of any mods that have been done with this in mind?

2. AaronM58 macrumors member

AaronM58

I personally haven't heard/seen any type of mod like you've referred to. It sounds pretty interesting...but I'm willing to bet that it would void your warranty with Apple.

3. sstern1 macrumors member

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

My mate had a program that makes the backlight flash in time with music - not really a different colour but a cool feature.

5. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Yup i have seen that in some website...but everyone tells you about porblems it causes to the light itself and the whole display...i really really dont recomment it even its really really cool =\

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Problems?

Considering it is LED's that light up the keyboard there shouldn't be any problems..

7. Paul.Scott macrumors newbie

Keyboard backlight change

A great reason to make the change would be for Astronomers. I am in a class right now and White Light is very bad when you are in the field. I found a program to change the gamma values to make the screen red. If I can make the keyboard red too the Mac Book Pro would be perfect t hook up to the telescope and control it.

8. Snowcat001 macrumors regular

If it are LEDs that make the keyboard light up then you will not be able to change the color via software, you'll have to replace the LEDs.

Blue would be awesome! And is goes nice with the silver/grey color of the mbp!

9. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

iSpaz is a great if pointless app that makes your keyboard flash intime with iTunes...just incase anyone wanted to know the name

pac

10. micmicll macrumors newbie

Not necessarily, there are LEDs that can change colors witht he change of voltage, ie., doable via software
    Alienware's laptop has this feature on their keyboards, as well as all the decorating lighting around the laptop (icons, speakers, etc...)

11. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I owned the M17x-R1 and M15x. IMO they are silly toys and I was always embarrassed to been seen in public with them. Their considerable heft made that unlikely.

HIghly unlikely Apple would ever do this, but there may be an aftermarket mod you could try.

12. itsAerosol macrumors newbie

13. ahdickter macrumors 6502

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You have to disassemble the entire keyboard, then put in pieces of colored plastic. I saw an article about it, Google around and you should find it. I'm heading out to work, so I don't have time right now.

15. NCP macrumors newbie

16. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

explain. link. something? looks amazing compared to any other one ive ever seen. and on a newer MBP? im in love and i dont even like rainbow colors

17. zaxdude macrumors regular

Looks like NCP just grabbed the photo from THIS LINK

Crazy how users come in here & post things that only leave the forum hanging.

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

Looks cool but will probably give a headache after a while... just saying.

19. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

either way... great pic and awesome idea. i can see why it would be annoying after a while, its not like you can easily just change the colors (like an alienware *cough* POS!) but....

you are right, if you find a pic why not find something on how to do it. follow through lazy bones jones.

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The average consumer buys on impulse, that's why Apple went to glass displays. Shiny looks good in the Apple store. Also they know that many buyers value showing off their computer like it's a new car.

Their strategy has worked well along with the dramatic influence they have over their customers buying habits. If it has an Apple logo and it's shiny, it sells.

21. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

this is true, but since the LED's in Macs don't change colors you would still have to change them out.