Macbook pro dissapointment

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supmansa, Dec 3, 2009.

1. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Do you mean the "other thread" where you continually and indignantly demanded I answer questions you asked of the OP since you were not aware enough to notice I was not him? That thread where once I pointed that out you didn't even have the decency to admit you were in error? Yeah I remember that thread.

You have an ignore option it just seems you are unable to exercise the self control to use it. Don't blame your short comings on the lack of a forum feature.

It is also the second time you have commented on "getting people on your side". I am not sure where your insecurity comes from but I am not at all interested in such childish, popularity nonsense.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

How is it not important? The basis for your argument (high prices of Apple products pay for the freebies and services at Apple Stores) is based on a false assumption. :confused:

My quote:
    "Of course the perception of value is subjective, but you have been stating as fact that the reason for the premium that we pay for Apple products is directly attributed to the Apple Stores including the services and 'freebies' you get at them."

Okay, rewritten:

Yes, the perception of value, as you have said, is subjective. But you have been stating the following as fact: the reason that Apple products have high prices is because of the services and 'freebies' at the Apple Store.

You have been saying that the services and so-called 'freebies' at the Apple Store are the reason for the high prices of Apple products (because Apple has to pay for the stores from something, and so obviously it's from the profits), and that the reason that you have no problem paying the higher price is because of the freebies you get at the stores.

I'm saying that I disagree with your accounting analysis. The prices are high because Apple chooses to make them high, not because of the cost of the stores.

3. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

You are banging your head against the wall here. There is a subculture here and it is so brand biased that common sense is treated as an inconvenience if it does not back up the worship.

4. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

It's a bummer that you're disappointed, but didn't you realize, before you bought it, that there were only two USB ports?

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

When utilizing your digital video interface with a digital connection it does JUST WORK! you're using a POS display with VGA.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Probably a bit late but,

1) Windows needs drivers. Insert the system restore disc and install. Simple.

2) It's not a rip off. $30 for adapters or lots of ports. MiniDP does DVI, VGA, component and other video outputs. One port to rule them all.

3) It's not that simple, you have to set up external displays in Windows. It won't work by plug'n'play. Set the external monitor as an extension screen.

4) I dropped my MBP at least 4 times from knee height onto hardwood floor. No scratches, no dents. Although wristwatchs might scratch it. But then again, plastic is even worse than aluminum.

5) You suck at typing.

6) Why are you using a laptop? There's a reason why laptops have built-in keyboards, trackpads (FYI the mouse), and hard drives. So you don't plug in external ones. It's like putting gasoline tanks in the trunk of a car. You don't need to because there is already a gasoline tank built-in into the car.

7) No faults, just user-noobism.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wont get into the nitty gritties about how each of the OP's problems isn't really a problem and there are solutions involving drivers and the like because everyone covered it.

I just want to say that it looks like the OP didn't pick out the right computer for himself.

I do game development as a hobby and the only reason I have a macbook pro at the moment is because due to a unique work situation its all I can have until I get back home.

That being said, I run windows flawlessly while virtualized through VMWare Fusion. Also I have things like an external keyboard, mouse, keyboard controller, 4 bay external enclosure, monitor, and software dongle all hooked up at once. You just have to be careful on the type of equipment you pick up when working with limited hardware such as a laptop.

8. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

If you dont like it, get rid of it.

Go get your Windows 7 notebook, with all the USB ports you want, a keyboard you want, a 3 hour battery etc etc. Then let me know how OS X is running on it.

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You are correct, Apple has repeatedly stated that they sell all their products at a price point consistant with their brand's market appeal/value. The existence of the stores may enhance the brand but such existance does not form the basis of nor materialy contribute to the pricing justicication. If you look at the market data and Apple's own results their profit per unit is so high the PC makers can't even come close.

Apple products will be more expensive so long as consumers desire what is perceived as a premium brand at the appropriate price; not because an alternative means of extending the brand exists in the form of retail Apple stores.

Cheers,

10. harlequin29 macrumors newbie

should have researched before you spent $2,400. ;)

11. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've lost the plot of this conversation somewhere.

Thanks for rewriting that for me, it makes much more sense. But Apple have always had high prices with or without the Apple stores, I'm saying now that for the price, a customer could include the value of the stores into the premium they pay if they so wish.

I myself have no problem paying the higher prices because of the product itself AND because of the perks inherent with visiting the Apple stores.

I never set out to say this though as I've always known Apple to have higher prices than the rest of the industry. I think it isn't unreasonable to think the profits from the products they sell are ploughed back into making more stores. That's why I said it was logical to think that as where else will the money come from. I'm not saying we have high prices to pay for the stores.

I'm confusing myself here, I'm not surprised that all we're doing is clarifying our points again, sorry.:(

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

-They do on mine, you probably installed your stuff wrong sir. Right click in windows is available in the bootcamp control panel.

-It's not a windows native machine, there is probably a workaround

-All computers scratch, so what?

-You could've tried it before buying it, you would've known beforehand.

-You knew beforehand, and you still chose to buy it, quit whining.

13. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I do have to agree with the OP on one point... a 15" $2400 notebook should have more than two USB ports. In the same breath, I must mention that most notebook users will never use more than two at a time. It becomes an issue when you're using your notebook as a desktop... in which case you should probably just buy a desktop or some sort of docking notebook.

MBPs are not for everyone. I own one because I travel a lot and need to do work while away from home... making it a very capable surrogate for my desktop (a PC) at home.

14. Hmac macrumors 68020

The "fanboy" label toward people who have either figured out how to use their Mac or have different needs than you was inevitable as part of your argument. Thanks for not disappointing. I see plenty of Mac criticism here on MR some of it is valid, some is ridiculous. Your complaints definitely have an element of whining.

You're having trouble with your Mac not meeting your expectations. It appears that your expectations are different, or you haven't figured out your computer yet. And your approach is to label anybody that disagrees with you a "fanboy". If your complaint isn't getting any traction here, at Apple barbeque central, maybe YOU are the one that's out of step.

15. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

But the OP didn't buy the MBP blindfolded, though I'm beginning to think he did. He knew there would be 2 usb ports on the machine so I don't get the complaint even though I agree it should have another 1 or 2 ports.

16. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Looks like the Macbook Pro is just not for you, return or sell it and buy a consumer PC laptop.

17. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Honestly. Why do you need more than 2 ports when on the move? When you're at home get a frickin USB hub and call it a day.

18. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

This has been discussed elsewhere but some people don't want usb hubs. There are reasons for both sides of that point.

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Stop

This entire thread is pointless. There are countless threads on this site, grousing about the lack of this feature or that. None of it matters.

Yes, even $800 Windows-based laptops have many more features, more USB ports, BluRay, HDMI and usually legacy VGA, docking station options, etc.

Doesn't matter it's not a Mac! Do some of us want more in our Macs? Yes

Is it likely we (Mac owners) will ever have parity with systems 1.25 to 1.5" thick and run Windows? No.

If you want a Mac -- you have to buy a Mac, at the cost and with the limitations that come with it. You buy what Apple offers or you don't get a Mac. That's it. There's nothing else to say.

Cheers,

20. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Why me? I thought I was putting a stop to that discussion by leaving it open ended precisely because it can't be answered/solved.

21. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Sorry, hit quote in error, post corrected. I should have said that 144 posts ago.

Cheers,

22. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

They should get desktops then.

23. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Yes, obstinate vs. practical. If you really need 3 USB ports that bad, get the 17". USB hubs, even the powered ones, are remarkably compact and portable now. There are many 3-port hubs that are the size of a thumbdrive.

It's a non-issue.

24. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

It sucks that you've had bad experiences with Apple products. Sometimes people have a run of bad luck, and they're very vocal about it. For every person like that, there's a person who's had few or no problems with his/her computer. This is true for every brand.

Personally, I think you should keep trying to get your problems resolved and stick with Apple a while longer. As you say, the OS is really what you're paying for, and, for me, at least, that alone makes the extra cost worth it.

The 'fanboyism,' I think, is a knee-jerk reaction to what seems like a confrontational position on the brand that this site is built around. You'll find the same thing at any brand-related site, be it Webkinz or Volkswagen Things.

If you're really looking for answers, using language that isn't loaded with negatives is going to work somewhat better, but telling people they're buying computers that are 100% overpriced just isn't going to go over well.

25. whitemacbook macrumors member

whitemacbook

yer a right crown and anchor mate