Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyptt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I've recently bought a BTO Macbook Pro and I've noticed over the past week that the tab underneath the Superdrive is raised off of the surface by around 1-2mm, causing the laptop to rock on either diagonal corner. I've also got the standard lid not closing flush on the right hand side issue.

I've called apple support and they've told me to take it to an apple store, however I'm skeptical that they'll actually repair it under warranty. With my last Macbook Pro I got case warping around the superdrive that ended up sealing the drive, and in the end they said I "stepped on it" and I'd need to pay the repair fees, so in the end I got it repaired and sold it off.

Has anyone else faced this issue or is it just me?

lyptt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Nope, never. I literally got this laptop 2 weeks ago. It's been out of the house, 3 or 4 times maximum, and when it is I keep it in a laptop bag.

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
Hmm, perhaps it has something to do with where you place it when it's in the bag/in transport? I really have no idea because it seems like something that couldn't possibly happen without physical pressure. Have you checked the battery? They've been known to swell up and damage the case.

lyptt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Well it's in its' own compartment at the back, I don't have anything heavy in the bag like books, in fact the laptop's the only thing in the back at all apart from my keys and phone.

I haven't leant up against a wall and crushed it, and I haven't let it fall over with the laptop in there, when setting it down it's always leant against a wall.

I haven't crushed the laptop in my hands or handled it roughly in the slightest, like I said it's barely even been outside, it's mostly been sitting on my desk.

I've just checked the battery now and no signs of swelling anywhere.

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
hmm, I really don't know then, perhaps closer to peak time some other users may have some possible explanations because to someone like me, it seems that there's no possible way this isn't a handling issue. Though I believe you when you say it's not, I just have no possible idea how it couldn't be.

On a side note:

Anyone else using this computer unsupervised?

lyptt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
No, no-one uses it apart from me, and it's never unsupervised :p

Could it be possible it's the case warping because of heat? I do play a few games and work with Xcode a lot.

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
I thought of that for a moment, but I mean... wouldn't this be a common MBP problem if that were the case? Unless you're CPU is getting inordinately hot, but I still don't think it could get hot enough to warp aluminum (without mechanical pressure, of course :p)

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I thought of that for a moment, but I mean... wouldn't this be a common MBP problem if that were the case? Unless you're CPU is getting inordinately hot, but I still don't think it could get hot enough to warp aluminum (without mechanical pressure, of course :p)

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with heat,it would shut down way before it could get hot enough to warp metal,like i said take it back to Apple and see what they have to say about it

lyptt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Yeah I suppose you're right, I'll take it to an Apple Store, hopefully they'll just repair it, but no doubt they'll tell me I kicked it into a tree or tried to feed it to my cat or something.

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio
PowerBook G4 12" - Same Issue

This appears to be related to the slight warping of the aluminum during use. My 12" PowerBook G4 does the same thing from time to time as it bends a few millimeters to match the surface it is sitting on. This most often occurs when the fans are blasting to keep the thing cool.

I would expect no different of the MacBook Pro. I've had my PowerBook since 2004 and haven't had a single issue with the bending. You'll find that a lot of surfaces just aren't 100% flat to begin with and will gradually get used to it. Most wood and aluminum-topped desks have at least a millimeter of warpage somewhere on the surface anyway. :rolleyes:

lyptt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
It probably happened when I was playing the spore demo, the fans were blasting then :p

Neil321

macrumors 68040
This appears to be related to the slight warping of the aluminum during use. My 12" PowerBook G4 does the same thing from time to time as it bends a few millimeters to match the surface it is sitting on. This most often occurs when the fans are blasting to keep the thing cool.

I would expect no different of the MacBook Pro. I've had my PowerBook since 2004 and haven't had a single issue with the bending. You'll find that a lot of surfaces just aren't 100% flat to begin with and will gradually get used to it. Most wood and aluminum-topped desks have at least a millimeter of warpage somewhere on the surface anyway. :rolleyes:

One of my pro's i've had since they came out,i've run flash,done photo & video editing on it,on a desk and never noticed any warping ,oh OP you sure one of the little feet aint missing ?

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I think I have the same issue but am too scared about getting dead or stuck pixels to want to return. Let us know what happens and good luck =)

bov

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco
You should definitely call Apple up or take it to a store. A wobbling MBP must be really annoying even trying to something as simple as typing!

Plus it's pretty new so they should believe you :)

lyptt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I've taken a look this morning and the nib is less raised than yesterday, so I'm guessing this is heat related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.