Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simpatico666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2024
I have Macbook Pro 17, Early 2011, installed OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan).

I have partly failed dedicated GPU, which I fixed 5 years ago by using SW method
to disable dGPU, and always use Intel integrated GPU. Fixed sleep function and keyboard backlight associated problems.

Recently I noticed that sleep function (closing laptop lid) wasn't working.
To try to fix the problem I rebooted laptop, but after few screen of typical
verbose console text bootup log info, it just stuck on black screen.

Last screen of bootup text before black screen:

Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv is in exclude list, not loadable

Kext org..virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB - library kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv not found.
Can t load kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB - failed to resolve library dependencies.
Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB failed to load (OxdcO0800e).
Failed to load kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (error OxdcO0800e).
Kext load request buffer from user space still retained by a kext; probable memory leak.
Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv is in exclude list, not loadable :
Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt - Library kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv not found.
Can’t load kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt - failed to resolve Library dependencies.
Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt failed to Load (OxdcO0800e).
Failed to load kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (error OxdcOO800e).
Kext load request buffer from user space still retained by a kext; probable menory leak
Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv is in exclude List, not loadable
Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp - library kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv not found
Can’t load kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp - failed to resolve library dependecies.
Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp failed to Load (OxdcOO800e).
Failed to load kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (error OxdcOO8GHe)
Kext load request buffer from user space still retained by a kext;probable memory leak
Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp not found for unload request.
Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt not found for unload request.
Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB not found for unload request.

Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv not found for unload request.

I tried bootup by disconnecting battery (which was newly replaced few month back),
removing and switching RAM memory slots, which eliminated RAM problem unless both memory RAMs are having some problems.
Disk utility scan of SSD drive showed no errors (in recovery mode)

I have done reset of PVRAM and SMC, and confirmed that dGPU still works (with artifacts)

Ive tried to over system logs but due to size, I was unable to find any
clue to fix the problem

I know there is a command to pack all the log files, which I can put additionally if needed.

I still dont know if the problem is related with faulty dGPU or not.
Or is it HW or SW problem.

Maybe its malware issue(very small possibility).
If so, how to scan for malware?

I would appreciate if anyone can help out or provide advice
to fix the laptop.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Have you tried booting in safe mode? Power off, then hold the shift key down and power on. Keep holding until you see the Apple logo and progress bar. Hopefully that will avoid loading the virtualbox kexts allowing the boot to get farther.

simpatico666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2024
Thank you for your quick reply.

I booted up in safe mode, as suggested.

Anyway there was some difference in booting up, but it also stuck in black screen.

One line in entire boot up screen appeared before black screen:

Sandbox: apsd(237) deny(1) system-fsctl 682f

After that, black screen appears with cursor (white box) in upper left corner, and every few seconds mouse cursor/arrow/pointer appears and disappears.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
Have you tried to boot from external drive or USB stick? And if problems persist, disconnect the internal drive and try again. Hope you have backups?

And you do know that the sw fix for the failed GPU is reset if you zap the PRAM/NVRAM or disconnect the battery? So, you need to do the fix again after such activity. Might not be related to the Virtualbox errors but anyways, you need to redo them.

simpatico666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2024
After resetting PVRAM I did redo solution to disable dGPU on 2011 MBP.

As for backup, I only have 2 year old backup (time machine) on external machine, which I think is unusable.
Is it possible to extract core system files from old backup?

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
Manually trying to fix a file system error or boot problems can be difficult. To me it looks like vbox kexts are missing or broken. Dunno why it cannot get past that, maybe something else too?

What I was trying to suggest was to boot from external device so you could see if the problem is just a corrupted OS or hardware based. Do you have another Mac, external hdd/sdd or USB thumb drive? Make a bootable drive and boot. If you cannot boot then I would pop the bottom open ja disconnect the original drive all together and try again.

If you manage to boot it successfully first copy all important files out of it. Then you could try repairing the file system (I guess you tried that) or even reinstall the OS. And final possibility is to format the drive and start from scratch. Also, use DriveDx to check your SSD health.

And in future start making frequent backups.

simpatico666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2024
Manually trying to fix a file system error or boot problems can be difficult. To me it looks like vbox kexts are missing or broken. Dunno why it cannot get past that, maybe something else too?

What I was trying to suggest was to boot from external device so you could see if the problem is just a corrupted OS or hardware based. Do you have another Mac, external hdd/sdd or USB thumb drive? Make a bootable drive and boot. If you cannot boot then I would pop the bottom open ja disconnect the original drive all together and try again.

If you manage to boot it successfully first copy all important files out of it. Then you could try repairing the file system (I guess you tried that) or even reinstall the OS. And final possibility is to format the drive and start from scratch. Also, use DriveDx to check your SSD health.

And in future start making frequent backups.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have DriveDx installed, is there a way to run in in console or recovery mode?
If not, I guess I can make bootable drive with fresh El Capitan and install it there and scan the SSD properly.

After that works, can I just reinstall the OS 10.11.6 and keep all my data? Similar to what can it be done with Windows OS.

I will for sure start making regular backups from now on, learned my lesson.

Keep you posted.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I think you might need to do 2 bootable drives, first a full os so you can boot all the way to the OS and rescue files and then a bootable installer to install the OS. Copy the DriveDx to the bootable full os drive to use it when you have booted to check if your drive is still usable.

Other option is, if you have another Mac, take the drive out of the MBP, plug it into the second Mac via SATA-USB -adapter or external USB hdd case. Then you could extract the files to the second Mac, reinstall the drive to MBP and then install an OS to it.

If you do not have an another Mac then I would start by making the bootable drive first, boot with it, rescue all files and only then try to reinstall the OS.

If the OS installation does not fix the issues (it might not as the issues seen in your capture above do point to Virtualbox) then you might need to format the drive and do a clean install.

simpatico666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2024
I think you might need to do 2 bootable drives, first a full os so you can boot all the way to the OS and rescue files and then a bootable installer to install the OS. Copy the DriveDx to the bootable full os drive to use it when you have booted to check if your drive is still usable.

Other option is, if you have another Mac, take the drive out of the MBP, plug it into the second Mac via SATA-USB -adapter or external USB hdd case. Then you could extract the files to the second Mac, reinstall the drive to MBP and then install an OS to it.

If you do not have an another Mac then I would start by making the bootable drive first, boot with it, rescue all files and only then try to reinstall the OS.

If the OS installation does not fix the issues (it might not as the issues seen in your capture above do point to Virtualbox) then you might need to format the drive and do a clean install.

I have lost entire day trying to create bootable OSX 10.11 USB drive in Windows.
Almost all info on the net is to create bootable OSX installation USB drive, which is not the same.

I only found out following:

After downloading installation OSX 10.11 dmg file , extract BaseSystem.dmg and copy "Packaged" dir in it.

I was using TransMac and (balena) Etcher which both had problems, and had to involve Paragon Partition Manager CE to fix the problem.

After all that, Macbook recognized USB drive, and after booting up, just offers me option to install OSX on SSD disk or USB drive itself (which causes errors).

What is easy and correct way to bootable OSX on USB drive in Windows OS? And what is official name for this? Live, startup, recovery USB drive image?

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
What is easy and correct way to bootable OSX on USB drive in Windows OS?
I've never tried to make a bootable OSX -disk in Windows, and I will not try. IMO it makes more sense to use Macs for Mac-things.

You can buy a good Mac for 50€/$ or even less. Why would you use an entire day to try to do something on Windows machine that you could do in 5-10 minutes with any cheap Intel Mac?! :oops:

simpatico666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2024
I've never tried to make a bootable OSX -disk in Windows, and I will not try. IMO it makes more sense to use Macs for Mac-things.

You can buy a good Mac for 50€/$ or even less. Why would you use an entire day to try to do something on Windows machine that you could do in 5-10 minutes with any cheap Intel Mac?! :oops:

Thanks for the reply.

Outside US, (domestic Apple Macbook market) prices are quite different.
Unfortunately, Im in small EU country, and prices here are 100-150 EUR to buy non faulty Macbook 2011-2013.

There is a chance to ask or maybe borrow Macbook (Intel based) with newer OSX.
Do you know procedure (or link with info) on how to create bootable USB (older OSX version) on newer Mac OSX?

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
Unfortunately, Im in small EU country
Yeah, me too - one of the most expensive countries in EU. Here non faulty MBAs or MBPs go for less than 100€ every day, less than 50€ quite often. I think the best of the cheap ones would be the MBP 13" with Intel i5/i7. They are never very expensive and are pretty good performers.
Do you know procedure (or link with info) on how to create bootable USB (older OSX version) on newer Mac OSX?
Download OS: https://support.apple.com/en-us/102662
Make the installer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/101578

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.