Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

athavan

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
Okay guys I think I found a solution for the banding. I did the update and had it. So I reset he Pram and the Nvram and bam its perfect now.
To reset it restart the macbook Pro. When the white screen appears hold down Command+alt+p+r Hold these 4 keys down and don't let go. he system will restart again with the boot sound. DO NOT LET GO. If you hold it down the system will keep rebooting. Let it boot 3 times. Hence you will hear the boot sound 3 times. On the 4th time let go of everything. System should be clean.
Hope this helped.

travistaylor

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
I used to have problems with external displays, they have been solved now! Before the update, if I had an external monitor hooked up and put the MBP to sleep, then unplugged the monitor before I woke it up, the thing would not change the primary disply back to the LCD on the MBP....

Works fine now!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hmmm on my cousine's machine it says the computer does not need the update. Guess it was installed in the Factory.

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
Okay guys I think I found a solution for the banding. I did the update and had it. So I reset he Pram and the Nvram and bam its perfect now.
To reset it restart the macbook Pro. When the white screen appears hold down Command+alt+p+r Hold these 4 keys down and don't let go. he system will restart again with the boot sound. DO NOT LET GO. If you hold it down the system will keep rebooting. Let it boot 3 times. Hence you will hear the boot sound 3 times. On the 4th time let go of everything. System should be clean.
Hope this helped.

My LG screen was fine, did the update and it was banding. Followed the PRAM and NVRAM reset and we're good as new again. Stupid Apple though. Try and test your updates a bit more before releasing. Surprised they didn't release on a Friday afternoon.

katorga

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
No problems

Installed with no problems for me. My MBP seems to run 1-2C hotter now and battery life reports about 20 minutes longer.

shumws

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
I got the rolling bar too, but after following this, it works again.

Hope this helped.

This method works for me. I got rolling bar problem right after the update. Now, it works great on my MBP! Thanks!

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I used to have problems with external displays, they have been solved now! Before the update, if I had an external monitor hooked up and put the MBP to sleep, then unplugged the monitor before I woke it up, the thing would not change the primary disply back to the LCD on the MBP....

Works fine now!

F7 always worked for me...

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
I have a mbp 2.2 and the update doesnt show up for me, my version is 10.4.10.
maybe it is for the samsung mbp and not the LG

For the people with the 15" SR MBP that the update is not showing up for, did you install Boot Camp?

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
mine updated fine...

can we get screenshot/picture of what these bars look like? I'm just curious mostly.

A screen shot won't capture it, you would need a picture. Try looking from the bottom of your LCD to the top at an angle and it might be visible then (however, I hope you are lucky and don't have the problem).

machinehien

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2003
houston
But certainly no problems here (except for 1 stuck red pixel, but that's another story).

I had a stuck pixel on mine, it was left of center of the screen, I process and edit diagnostic images for one of my clients and told the Genius at the Apple store that it wasn't acceptable for me to have a stuck green pixel. They let me open up another MBP box of the same spec and take that one home after I checked to see if it was pixel perfect.

I would try to take it back if possible. They don't have a fixed policy but the store managers have a ton of leeway with authorizing replacements.

ccartguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I updated my 2.4 MBP and it went fine no banding and I had the previous slight flutter when scrolling dissapear.

How can you tell if you have a samsung or LG screen?

TheNumberOneFan

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
i suppose i did have the problem also!

fixed it with the p+r trick though!

maybe i'm just persuaded, but i think my display seems more evenly lit as well, post this update

EDIT: upon unofficial testing, I seem to be getting an entire extra hour and one minute of battery life....

what an unexpected surprise!

Marioz

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
Rivarolo C.se, Italy
I had no flickering before I have not after :)

I suggest not to impress ourself ab the battery time showed by the system as an EFI upgrade reset also the way it converts the mVs in processing time.
So MBP must simply get some time to do it in the proper way again.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
As surprising as it is, my MBP also reports extra battery life after the update. The most optimistic guess has been 4h 40min, but I'm going to test how much that is in real world. If it's 4 hours I'll be very happy :)

EDIT: Already been using the thing for 3:30 and it's still reporting 1:10 to go. So it still seems to be aiming at 4:40 total. IOW, now is the time the computer would be forced to sleep prior to the update and the 1:10 to go is the guesstimate for extra battery life. I'm pleased!

Total time: 4:38, so I'm happy :) Reminds me of the TiBook days as I have never before had +4 hours with Aluminum 'book... Great update! Also, the laptop ran about 5°C cooler all the time, not ever exceeding 50°C which is also nice.

jasonfj

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2004
Hmm - I updated and also get better battery life now, 4.14 from 3.30

However, when the screen is at lower brightness I'm noticing the feint bands rolling upward. I've tried restarting with cmd/alt/P/R, but the boot continues as normal and I don't get a second startup...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.