Macbook Pro + external monitor vs. iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lakkadshaw, Dec 24, 2010.

1. lakkadshaw macrumors newbie

I want to buy I new Mac. I own a lenovo c2d laptop(sl500), I've never own a mac before so it will be first mac.
    My previous post was iMac 24" vs macbook pro-->link
    there user cnagromme told me to get macbookpro + external monitor. So I am confused weather to buy a Macbookpro + external monitor or an iMac.
    I my budget is of $2000.
    Please help me out with this.

2. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I don't know how you will use your computer but if I would suggest that you get the MBP + external monitor combo as you will have portability...IMO there's not much difference in terms of power b/w 15inch MBP and a mid-specd iMac...

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Kinda confused as to why you started a new thread, but anyhow, I'd get the MBP + monitor combo. It will be plenty powerful, and the laptop + external display works really well, as I can carry my computer around wherever I please, but have a nice big workspace (or Facebook space, but we won't get into that) when I am at my desk. I'd say the best of both worlds for anyone who values portability and doesn't need workstation-class processing power.

4. lakkadshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for the replies.
    I am a college student I travel home every week on my motorcycle an I develop for web. would it be practical to carry a 21" iMac on a motorcycle??
    And I also want to ask that should I get a mac??
    I can get beast in $1800(corei7, 8gb ram, 2gb graphics memory etc.).
    I never had a mac before and I like them because they are beautiful and a I like the MAC OS and X-code.
    Could you please give me some reason to buy a mac, because my brother is telling me to go for a Pc, so please please give me some reasons so that I can throw them on my brother.

5. gnasher729, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

First make up your mind what you want. Do you want to be able to carry a computer around and use it in places other than your home, or do you just want a computer that is stationary in one place? If you want a computer that stays in one place, get an iMac. If you want a computer that you can carry around and use anywhere, get a MacBook or MacBook Pro. If you want both, a computer that is easy to carry around, plus a stationary computer with a big monitor, then you would get a MacBook or MacBook Pro with an external monitor. The monitor stays in place, the MacBook can be unplugged at any time.

It's easy enought to put an iMac into its box and transport it in a car; probably can be done in five minutes after you've done it three times. I couldn't judge on the motorbike. Go to an Apple Store and ask them to show you the box. If you need a monitor in one place only, then MacBook + monitor in one place would be fine.

Your brother is looking at the wrong specs. The i7 and the graphics memory don't matter much for what you are doing, and you can easily upgrade the MacBook Pro to 8 GB Ram + 1 TB hard drive. But he doesn't look at specs that are harder to see, like how long it takes until the computer falls apart, ease of use, dozens of improvement in the hardware that you only get on a Mac, the pain that is caused again and again by brain-damaged Microsoft software.

6. lakkadshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

but another question I have is should I get Macbook pro 13" or 15".
    i am low on budget, if 15" is really worth the price then I can go for 15".