Macbook Pro external speakers recommendation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by breath999, Mar 17, 2009.

1. breath999 macrumors newbie

Got a new macbook pro, hooked up to my old 23 inch (2004, white) cinema display. Could use some speakers for my office - any recommendations (I would like to spend about 100 +/- 50???)

Thanks in advance

2. xoggyux macrumors 6502

what kind of config you are looking for? 2.0, 2.1 or 5.1?
    if you looking for other than 2.0 you will want it to have optic imput...

3. xoggyux macrumors 6502

4. breath999 thread starter macrumors newbie

speakers

I am thinking 2.0 or 2.1 as its for an office and will be played when people leave....... I am leaning towards 2.1......

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the Bose companion 5 system is amazing. they utilize Bose's 3-2-1 technology which if you dont know what it is, it simulates surround sound. they are a little pricy but they are the best computer speakers i've hear.

ps - i am not a Bose fanboy. i actually hate every other product they make. Home Theater stuff especially is absolute garbage.

6. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I don't think you can use subwoofer from a minijack but I could be wrong (does someone else have can confirm this?) if so then go for 2.0 as 2.1 will cost more and you would not take advantage of the woofer, and off course there is the cables issue...

7. breath999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I saw these and they were really nice..... 4 bills is a lot though, wife will kill me....

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

9. breath999 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, - maybe the 2.0 is sufficient

10. breath999 thread starter macrumors newbie

now vicious has me wanting the Bose... gotta do something nice for the wife and acquire points...

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

haha sorry. they really are amazing tho. you may be able to get away with the companion 3's. they dont have the 3-2-1 but still sound pretty incredible. i think they are only $250.

12. xoggyux macrumors 6502

13. xoggyux macrumors 6502

for 250 he can go for the logitech ones, I cannot see how a 2.0 (no matter how good it is) can simulate surround sound system better than an actual surround sound system.

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

no those are the companion 2's. not worth buying. there are way better speakers out there for less. you are ALWAYS over paying when buying bose but buying those is like throwing your money away.

15. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh its never better but they do a pretty darn good job. it just saves you from having to run wires.

16. xoggyux macrumors 6502

then what is the point? if he can justify paying $250 for a bose speaker set that simulates surround sound, why not pay the $250 for the real deal? not to mention the reviews it got (in newegg over 1000 reviews 89% 5* and 7% 4* and in logitech website another bunch of 5*s and awards.) it got wireless remote as well and if I am not mistaken i got inputs for several devices at once so you can actually use it for your other home theater devices as well.

oh well the wires are always annoying, but you can always manage to hide them neatly (maybe even inside the wall if you are making a "theater" room) but I'd do it just to not pay bose taxes XD

17. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Bose is bloody awful.

Check out this article: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Absolute rubbish. Sounds BAD, made cheaply, marketed well. That's all it is.

I'd go for Logitech over Bose. If you're looking for "good" sounding 2.0 for music, I'd got for something advertising itself as a "studio monitor" at that price. Lower end KRK or M-Audio stuff. If you want something that goes BOOM for movies and sound effects, go for the Logitech. Just stay away from the pathetic Bose marketing machine/inferior products.

18. bossxii macrumors 68000

19. breath999 thread starter macrumors newbie

speakers

thanks both for the input, I obviously need to pop into a couple of stores and test similar.

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ha two words. speaker quality.

when buying speakers you dont buy cheap speaker systems. have you ever held a REALLY good speaker. it weighs a ton. and that is because sound is air moving. and you need a heavy driver to stop that air from moving the speaker too much. that is to say that the driver pushes the sound out. if you have a cheap speaker the air causes the driver to wobble. it also prolongs the life of the system. those cheap home theater in a box (HTiBs) that ppl buy are worthless. they give mediocre sound for about 3 years then die. there is so much feedback being sent back and forth between the receiver and speakers that they eventually blow eachother out.

actually that is something you can pitch the wife. tell her you can buy one really good system now or 4 systems down the road. it is 100% the truth

21. breath999 thread starter macrumors newbie

22. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

23. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yes Bose's home theater stuff does suck greatly. i didnt see anything in there about the companions tho.

believe me i sold and installed this stuff for 10 years. these are the best COMPUTER speakers i have heard for ppl that want simulated surround sound and dont want to be setting up a 5.1 system.

remember this is for his office folks. he says that in the first post.

24. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I've never hear the z-5500, I have only read the reviews and it seams to be great, also with THX certification they got to be at least very good, on the other side I used to have a cheap 5.1 logitech system (~$59 cost me) and it sounded good (not mind blowing) but good enough to fool a non-expert.
    I have heard some bose (not the one you are recommending) and frankly they do not sound any better than the integrated MBP's speakers (just a bit louder, but thats to expect from bigger speakers, they do not sound more crisp or clear) and must of the bose speakers I have seen are made of plastic (I get it the logitech are plastic as well) but for $250 for 2 speakers they could have gone for wood if they want to claim they are great.

Common that does not even comes with knife, airpressure gauge and temperature monitor, its worthless. Buy instead an spork!
    :D

25. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

look i dont mean to sound like a snob, but if you've never heard the speakers i am recommending then we cant really have a discussion about them. the companion 3 and 5's are made of steel. i am guessing the ones you heard were the companion 2's. like i said above those are garbage. most of what Bose makes is. but there is just something about the companion 3 and 5's that sound really great.

when it comes to speakers and sound quality i am an absolute elitist. i admit that. my home theater speakers and receiver coast 3 times more than my TV (50" panasonic plasma - sorry dont mean to be a snob haha).

I have a very good ear for music and sound. i went to a music conservatory for undergrad. could it be over kill recommending the bose companion 5's? absolutely. but if the OP is someone that likes good sound quality AND can hear the difference btw a $100 system and a $400 system. he should get the Bose. if not then the logitec are perfectly acceptable.

i owned logitec speakers and couldn't stand them. the difference is in the subwoofer. Bose's bass module is outstanding. logitec's simply sucks. its airy and muddy. Bose's is tight and smooth.