Macbook pro Failing Harddrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deeesea, Jan 18, 2011.

1. deeesea macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I did a quick Mroogle on this topic and I couldn't find anything that helped.

My mid2010 15 inch macbook pro is taking a long time to shut down.
    I took a look at my console logs, and It seemed like Google Chrome was the cause of them shut down delay, Lots of attempts for Sigterm. I figured that I was running the Dev copy of Chrome and that probably wasn't playing well with my system, So i swapped to the beta, then stable copy of chrome and now the issue's been fixed (in terms of long shutdowns of chrome). That being said however, it's still taking forever for my laptop to shut down. A good minute sometimes,

I have a SSD and Optibay set up in my machine, with the Sata2 connection on the optical drive housing the original stock 320 gb harddrive that came with the laptop and the SSD being the main boot drive.

When i boot down all my apps have been quit and there isn't anything running.
    I've done tests where I boot the computer up (which is nice and speedy @ a good 10 seconds), Log in, leave it for 2 minutes w/o running any apps and then just hit the power button (press once, not hold for a hard shut down) and enter (to shut down the machine). I've also done the same thing but with the apple menu (not that it makes a difference between the two methods of shutdown).

I ended up taking it to my campus repair shop, but with a potential software problem i don't really trust what they had to say. The tech suggest that I reinstall the OS and if the problem still persists I have a dying SSD, But what I'm wondering is can the problem stem from my HDD? Could that be failing? It only houses my Home folder, and I don't know how much of the OS actually relies on the home folder during a shut down (i'd imagine very little seeing as the OS is on the SSD).

Also are there any other tests options I can do? Keep in mind I've reset the PRAM and NVRAM on the laptop, as well as run Maintenance and cleaning operations via Onyx. What other tests can I run, and Is it really a failing SSD?

I'm gonna head home this weekend plug in an superdrive, boot with the Reinstall discs and try doing another verification/repair of the drives.

Macbook pro specs are as follows
    Base Macbook pro core i5
    50 gb OCZ Vertex Limited Edition SSD (sandforce 1500 Controller)
    320 gb Stock HDD
    4 gigs ram etc etc

Unrelated side note: don't remember if this problem started since installing OS 10.6.6. MAYBE it still shut down in 2 secs while running OS10.6.5

THANKS for any assistance guys!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

First off all, which of these two drives is your main/boot disk? What is the other drive being used for?

3. deeesea thread starter macrumors 6502

System files stored on the SSD and home folder only on the HDD :D

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If it is an outright failure of the solid state drive, you would not be an exception. The issue you are experiencing seems to occur more frequently in the OCZ Vertex series than other SSDs. Actually, it seems to occur very frequently.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which drive is Chrome on?

6. deeesea thread starter macrumors 6502

Chrome is installed on the SSD along with all my other system files/apps. I set it up so the only thing on that HDD would be my home folder (all my music/School documents) which take up the most space.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, then as impossible or highly improbable as it seems, the SSD is the problem.

What's the fill percent of your drive?

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It's quite probable. Go online and look up Vertex + failure.

edit: explaining why however, may be difficult and obviously, these failures can often be attributed to the user themselves, but it seems that the Vertex does suffer some quality control issues not see in other comparable SSDs.

9. deeesea thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

But the fast boot times and fast program loading times makes me wonder if it really is hardware as opposed to software.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It could be. I do not know of any software, other than the one from OCZ and Intel explicitly for SSDs. TechTool Deluxe may be able to determine if is software related. Perhaps clone the SSD and try a clean install of
    oSX?