MacBook Pro fails to shut down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonematt, Apr 14, 2009.

1. iphonematt Guest

Lately my MBP fails to shut down. I quit all apps and then click shut down, the dock and menu bar go away just leaving the apple desktop and the mouse (turns to the beach ball after a while). Last week I wiped my computer and started from scratch hoping it would fix the problem but it didn't. I have repaired permissions and reset the PRAM and have taken out the battery and held the power button for five seconds to reset something else (i forget what it is called). I am thinking this has something to do with time machine and my time capsule. Sometimes time machine will attempt to backup, but will sit at preparing for hours without ever mounting the image. I try to stop it but it wont stop and at that point I can't shut down. Isn't time machine supposed to stop when I shut down? Even if i force quit the backupdb process in activity monitor, my computer will not shut down. So as far as I can tell, time machine is doing something to prevent shutdown or something is but it is really getting annoying. Any help is appreciated.

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Does it shut down if you turn off Time Machine? Does it shut down if you eject the external drive?

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sounds more like an issue for Apple to handle. Call AppleCare.