Macbook pro fans always running

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yars15, Jun 27, 2011.

1. yars15 macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2009 macbook pro (2.53 ghz core 2 duo, 4 gigs ram) lately though the fans have always been running and activity monitor shows the user's CPU usage is over 50% even though i don't have any applications open. I'm thinking of resetting the SMC but don't know if that's even the problem.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC, especially if the fans are running high without increased heat. Check Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" to "All Processes".

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Open Activity Monitor, and select "All Processes", rather than "My Processes". You should be able to see what's running and using CPU resources.

4. yars15 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i found the iantivirus to be using like ~98% of CPU so i forced quit and everything's fine. Wondering if anyone else had this problem? I have version 1.36

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any antivirus apps to protect your Mac from malware. I recommend you uninstall it.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Antivirus appears to be a rather common cause of unexpected load under OS X. I have rarely had any problems with it on other platforms though.