Macbook Pro getting hot while gaming, problem?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Shadow Knight W, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Shadow Knight W macrumors newbie

Shadow Knight W

Ive had a 15' 2010 Macbook Pro since Sep but never really used it for gaming. I decided to try minecraft beta the other day and a few minutes the keys above my top keys start to get really hot and almost burns. should i keep playing when that happens or will it damage my computer?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Computers get hot if they're doing intensive tasks. It's normal.

3. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It's the Nvidia card kicking in, as well as your processor being used more. It's normal, just make sure your fans are running. The processor can withstand temperatures up to 210F

5. Dizzie20vt macrumors member

I play world of warcraft for hours while sat in bed so the laptop is on my quilt and it does get hot, but nothing crazy. my cpu usually sits about 85oC

6. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

The computer will stop working if it gets too hot... if its still working, no problemo. If the fans are really roaring and loud, you may want to have them cleaned at a local apple store... they tend to get very dusty

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

You can install software that controls your fan's RPM, so that it kicks up sooner than Apple's asinine setting -- which is when the computer is already way too hot, it's like Apple wants their systems to fail prematurely.

Heat kills components, especially hard-drives, so it's all on you to do what you feel is right for your system to state the obvious.

I use Fan Control and keep my system on a notebook-cooler. My system no longer gets burning to the touch. When i first got this thing, it was 60c idle, which is ridiculous.

8. c1phr macrumors 6502

Just a thought based on some things I've heard from other MBP 2010 15" owners. Try using a tool (gfxcardstatus) to force the intel gpu for Minecraft. I've heard it should still be playable.

9. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

If you notice a burning smell, you should worry. Mine gets so hot I can't have it on my lap, when I play SC2.

10. Shadow Knight W thread starter macrumors newbie

Shadow Knight W

Thanks, ill use this and hopefully it wont get so hot now

11. tmagman macrumors 6502

I try to improve airflow around the hinge by propping up the back two feet of the comp with two erasers haha. Cheap, but it gets the air flowing through the back hinge and grill without placing the whole thing on a chill matt or something. (Also is very comfortable when the body is propped up that 2/3").

12. alphaone macrumors 6502

My 13" MBP gets so hot while gaming it's almost impossible to use normally. The W and S keys particularly get so hot they cause a lot of discomfort (OMG it burns!).

13. doh123 macrumors 65816

if your going to push your machine hard a lot for long periods... (like gaming), you should always use a fan control program.

I use SMCFancontrol... it sits up in the top bar always showing my temp and fan RPM, and I made presets for different fan speeds so I can quickly click and change them if I want. I like to be proactive... if I know I'm starting a game that normally gets hot enough the fans need to spend 5000rpm to stay cool.. I click it up to 5000rpm and start the game.

is this required? no not really.. but it will help the life of the electronics.

14. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Macbook pros burning the tip of your fingers is not normal.

Im tired of all these people who think its ok for the cpu/gpu to run at its tjmax

OP, replace thermal paste on cpu/gpu to get a huge temp decrease. Apple cant apply thermal paste correctly( or some Chinese people).

15. mac2x macrumors 65816

+1 on eliminating dust inside the machine. It makes a HUGE difference.

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yep on this! For my PC, I use one of these to clean it once a month. It's saved me a TON of money, that would have gone for canned air.

17. Ainze macrumors regular

Ainze

In my experience (with many machines, including many PC laptops), yes it is. That's why they're not allowed to be called laptops any more. They're 'notebooks', because you can't use them on your lap!

Most laptops get very hot. But at least my Mac laptop won't get hot enough to burn while just browsing the internet, like some Dells and HPs I've seen. When I see my computer get to 80c (or 90c in Windows), it's not fun, but normal if I'm going to push it so hard.

(By the way, fact about the MacBook Pros - if the metal is burning you, it's because the computer is cooling itself. My MBP feels hottest (especially near the screen, where the fans are) when the fans are high and the temperature is stabilising. That's because the heat is coming OUT. Good thing. Get a stat monitor and check yourself if you don't believe me. When the metal isn't hot, and I think the computer should be, it's usually because the fans haven't kicked in yet, and the CPU is getting hot! Then the fans come on, CPU temp goes down, body gets hot. I'd rather the heat came out than stayed in.)

18. Dizzie20vt macrumors member

speaking of dust I did a RAM upgrade on my i7 15" MBP and the GF got my old 4gb sticks for her 13" MB (unibody).

Mine gets used for 10hrs+ 7 days a week in the office, in bed, at home, everywhere lol. with world of warcraft 6hr+ sessions on the weekends so the fans are on full speed.

Strangely her's had more dust in than mine and she only uses it for 2hrs max a day and always at home.

19. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Sorry burning your fingers is not normal, and idc what you say. My macbook pro would reach 90c on cpu when stressed, and gpu was in mid 80c. I reapplied thermal paste with some good quality tim and my fans were a lot quieter and my max temps stayed in mid 60s. Getting hot is Apples fault for not applying TIM properly.

20. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Apply good thermal paste bro!

21. broadsword macrumors newbie

Your Macbook Pro will get hot underneath when the CPU and GPU are stressed. If I do a Skype call or watch a simple video my machine gets so hot I can't keep it on my lap. But it's definitely not normal that the keys get so hot they could burn your fingers. Your machine is brand new and under warranty. Bring it back to Apple and have them fix it. Don't open it and try to fix it yourself unless you're a computer expert. If something goes wrong you'll void the warranty.

22. ikir macrumors 6502a

It is normal, unibody helps keeping internal colder so external is hotter. Intesive task like gaming = hot.
    Remember to play on a table where your notebook can dissipate not for example on the bed.

23. aussiedj macrumors regular

You notice that a lot of people post threads everywhere about MBP's running "too hot", but no threads to say that their MBP actually died or was damaged by heat??!

The core of the problem is the manufacturing plants. What they do is squirt a big blob on the CPU & Heatsink & squish them together. This obviously increases their productivity, and increases our temperatures.

The proper way to do it is to actually use far less, and spread it evenly on the heatsink, so it actually does it's job of conducting the heat, not blocking it as it is currently. This has been a problem since I got my first Powerbook G4 back in 2005, but funnily enough it's still common practice.

I use SMC Fan Control & crank it up to 6000 when I'm playing a FPS game. But really, how many people do you know where overheating has damaged their MBP's?

24. nonameowns macrumors regular

25. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

+1 for thermal paste

also you are right there not laptops anymore i've got a few in work with warning stickers sayig dont use on your lap as can lead to burning...

also smcfancontrol is a good app and gfxstatus - i run both....