Macbook Pro Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CSapprentice, Mar 13, 2011.

1. CSapprentice macrumors newbie

my hard drive crashed and i took it to apple and they said it was dead. i got a new Western Digital 500Gb hard drive and tried to install it myself but my computer could not see the hard drive in disc utility etc. so i plugged it in externally using a SATA enclosure. i was able to successfully install mac osx onto my new hard drive and boot up my computer using the hard drive externally but as soon as i put the hard drive back into my computer, it is un able to boot up. I can see the hard drive when i turn on the computer and hold option but when i click on the hard drive it fails to boot up.

any suggestions on how i could fix this problem?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did you format the drive as an HSF+ partition before trying to install OS X? You need to do that otherwise you won't see the disk. All WD drives are NFTS formatted for Windows so like I said, you need to format into HSF+ Journaled.

3. CSapprentice thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i formatted the drive properly and i have installed OS and it works if it is plugged in through USB using a SATA enclosure. but when i put the hard drive back into the computer it does not work.

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

If there is another internal port for connecting hard drives, try connecting it to that. Maybe you have a bad SATA port.

5. CSapprentice thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything is fixed.
    I took it to apple and it was the SATA cable inside that was faulty. Best part is they replaced it for free. Thanks everyone for you help

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Thanks for the update. :cool:

One thing, with this faulted SATA cable maybe you older drive wasn't bad. Did you ever get it back? If you did get something like the Hard Drive Dock or Univeral Drive and check that hard drive.