MacBook Pro Hard Drive Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kyzelios, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I'm considering upgrading/replacing the hard disk in my 2010 15" MacBook Pro. Currently it has a Hitachi 320 GB HDD, and I have a 500 GB Hitachi HDD which I've yet to open - would it be worth upgrading the hard drive? Will it work with the sudden motion sensor built into the Mac?

The stock hard disk makes a bit of noise when it is seeking - almost like a chatter noise, which is why im considering replacing it.

Thanks for your help

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Should work fine with the SMS.

I have a friend with the Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM drive, and he's happy with it. No noise complaints.

Btw - I had a similar sounding stock drive in my Early 2009 17" MBP. I forget the make, but the seek noise was annoying. It didn't stay in very long - replaced it with WD Scorpio Black 320. It was replaced last November with a Seagate XT 500GB 7200RPM hybrid, which was even quieter (no head load/unload click).

3. Kyzelios thread starter macrumors 6502

figure its worth it to open up the unit and replace the drive then? I dont want to screw it up or anything

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It depends on how much the noise bothers you and how comfortable you are working on notebook computers. The drive and RAM are meant to be user swappable, and the instructions are included in the user manual. The Unibody MBPs are fairly straight forward. Just make sure to use a high quality tool to avoid damage to the small screws used on the bottom. And, take your time.

IFixit.com also has instructions and photographs which can also be helpful.

If it's unusually noisy, it might be a warranty issue, and Apple will replace it (though honestly, if it's with the same make and model, it might not help much).