Macbook Pro hinge...is everyone unhappy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mstout, Jan 5, 2009.

1. mstout macrumors member

So, I was about to buy a new Macbook Pro, but held off because of the hinge talk on this forum. Went to Apple store in Chicago today, tried hinge, felt pretty good. Got supervisor to go talk to genius bar sup, and they say they have had zero issues. I've dealt with these guys before, so I don't think this was bs. They also say it is not adjustable. Is everyone unhappy with the hinge or is this a case-by-case thing? I need a new computer but if Apple really is about to make the hinge tighter in the design I'm willing to wait. Thoughts? Thanks all.

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I don't have an issue with the hinge design or function.

maybe this helps, maybe not :)

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

the hinge was a thing that wasnt even an issue, a few people noticed theirs wasnt 100% even on both sides. That doesnt change anything about the notebook.

4. menthol moose macrumors regular

The only people who post on here are the ones who have issues. The ones who have no issues with it are too busy enjoying it. If you like the way it feels, go for it. I personally have no problem at all with it. I bet if a high amount of people had a problem with it, Apple would have done something for them already.

5. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Looks around emergency room: "Oh my God! Everyone's sick. We're doomed!"

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

LOL that is actually PERFECT for explaining some of the "widespread" problems of macs.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

the hinge was in issue in the first 2000 or so made, now its fixed

8. mstout thread starter macrumors member

Now be nice. I lived in Austin for 10 years. I expect a little hospitality. Thanks to everyone else for the help.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sorry if you somehow took any of our posts as offensive to you. Welcome to MacRumors:)

10. mstout thread starter macrumors member

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I've said once, I'll say many more times, "If you hang out too long on MR YOU WILL NEVER BUY A MAC".

The funny thing is, you read about issues with a hinge but then you tried it out for yourself and it was just fine. That's why this place is called Mac "Rumors", all talk here is a rumor until proven.
    Go ahead and buy your new Mac. I'll bet if you NEVER EVER read MR you would barely find issues with your computer.

12. Moriarty macrumors 6502

The problem is that once you start looking at this site you can't stop.

13. Mercellus macrumors regular

I haven't had any issues with the hinge on my MacBook Pro (Late 2008).

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No issues with my 2.53ghz unibody mbp's hinge. The hinge is very tight in closing the lid or opening the lid.

15. akbc macrumors 6502

Well, my 2.53GHz Unibody MBPro's hinge had an issue.

It was quite lose and had 2-3cm of "free" movements. And it made funky squeeky sounds after awhile.

Then the screen started to flicker black once every like an hour or so...

So I took it to an Authorized Mac Service Provider, and they took a look, saying that they notice like a gap between the body and the screen near the hinge area.

Technician moves the screen back and forth to check the sound, then *boom* screen goes dead. To be honest, I was RELIEVED at that point, since I can completely qualify for a new LCD now XD

So it's in the repairs at the moment... Going to get it back tomorrow.

So if your hinge is a little lose and makes sounds.. be careful... I may just be an unlucky person, but you never know ;)

btw. I take very good care of my MBPro.. as I did with my previous mac's... :) It's equipped with Speck SeeThru Satin case and all, being careful of not scratching/damaging it :)

btw2. I still LOVE my MBPro, it's a GREAT machine :) And everything has issues and everything.. but the customer service is totally awesome with Apple, so yay :)

16. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

My new MBP is absolutely perfect (including the hinge).

Cheers.

17. a4abt macrumors regular

I don't have any issue with my MBP's hinge, very tight. This is my 2nd MBP and both notebooks' hinges were perfect. (My first MBP had an issue with the LED backlight, Apple replaced it.)

18. RKpro macrumors 6502

My hinge functions perfectly, but there is a bit of a squeak when I close the screen, but it opens silently.

19. agbot macrumors regular

I bought a MBP a week after the new ones were announced and have no issues, hinge or otherwise (well, no issues other than no available mini displayport to s-video or composite video adapter, but that's a different story).

20. n8236 macrumors 65816

The hinge will always be a problem, it's a matter of when it will become one. The hinge is regardless a mechanical part, and mechanical parts will eventually wear out.

I had a first gen MBP and use it on a daily basis. After 1.5 years in, the hinge became weaker and weaker. You just have to deal with it.

21. Ploki macrumors 68020

bottom line, being in an aluminum enclosure the display part of mbp is rather heavy, therefore, you are unable to work if your workflow is that you put your laptop against the wall and look towards the ceiling (probably sitting on the wall, having your back on the floor.) i dont have such workflow so the hinge itself has caused me approx 0 problems till now.

22. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I think some of the threads your reading and talking about, isn't regarding the MBP15 but the heavier MNP17!
    That does have issues, mostly due to a heavier TFT panel. And... those issues would depend on who you'd talk too
    and how they like to use their laptop, in general uses it's fine!!

23. mstout thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again everyone. Sounds like I can move ahead. And I'm not going for the 17" mbp, so no worries for me there. Really appreciate the help. Hope those who have had issues get them worked out.

24. minijon macrumors member

The two best hinges in the industry are IBM and Apple.