Macbook Pro it was worth it

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattyb240, Sep 23, 2008.

1. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to say I have recently got my macbook pro from apple around 2 days ago. I was going to wait for the update but I pulled the trigger as I needed it for University. To be honest, now that I have got it, I realised there was no need to wait. It truly is a fantastic machine, and as a switcher I have found it very easy to pick up.

With the help of Mroogle I have sorted most of my questions without the need for a post! But I just wanted to share my joy of his wonderful machine!!

If you need to buy now, don't hesitate its so sleek and powerful and very well designed.

All in al one very happy but skint student!!

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Congrats. They are nice laptops. I had one and liked it. I just didn't need that much power in a laptop and to be honest started to dislike aluminum (before anyone bashes me--it is a personal choice). I got lucky and sold it for what I paid for it.

You will love it. Great choice.

3. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks very much, I'm just working out all the keyboard shortcuts to make life quicker!!

I need the power for 3D stuff although most of the time it will be my office bitch, I've decided on Neo Office for a little bit.

Just a question though.... How often should I be using Onyx?

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

BTW I would suggest using Open Office Aqua. It is free, made for the Mac, and better IMO than NeoOffice. Many people on here are using it now and saying it is better. Check out the other forum and there is a thread about it.

5. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. macaco74 macrumors regular

Congrats! When I pulled the trigger on my first mac product (macbook pro) about a year ago - I never looked back. Now, we have an imac, apple tv, macbook (for the wife) and several other smaller apple products. Beware - extremely addicting.

7. TraustiB macrumors member

Congratulations mate! They are truly fantastic machines and your not going to regret it. Welcome to Mac.

8. andrewpoll macrumors newbie

Sweet! I also got myself a macbook pro about a year ago after being interested in apple products for quite a while. I use it for video editing and just everyday stuff. Once you go mac you wont go back!

9. fishy007 macrumors newbie

Waiting...ever waiting...constantly waiting, for the update.

I've set myself a date of the 14th. If no new updates are announced by then, I too shall pull the trigger and get my first MBP.

Glad you are enjoying yours. Gives me faith that I'll enjoy mine either way :D

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Your not kidding its addicting! I bought my first mac (its in my sig) in March and havent looked back. I work in an IT department and when we talk about new computers we plan on getting everyone scoffs at me and gets literally pissed off when I say I plan on getting a mac desktop. Funny how ignorant people can be.

Back on track, yes they are truly great machines.

11. rubberball macrumors newbie

12. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I think my friends will try and compare to the Dell XPS range but mine is alot more light weight but equally powerful plus I get benefits of OSX and Windows.

Just little finishes as well as the operating system working seamlessly without me having to install drivers.... Well apart from quicktime being a bit poo with some codecs making the sound disappear but I managed to sort that one out.

I am also becoming a great lover of front row!

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

14. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

15. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I run mine once a month, maybe every couple of months.

16. Rondue macrumors regular

couldn't do it

Congrats on the new machine, you are a daring person. I couldnt do it I must wait lol update oh update.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congrats, great choice and welcome to the world of Mac and to the Mac community. May you and your MBP both "live long and prosper" together. As several of the other posters have remarked, you have a terrific computer, and yes, you won't look back.

I'm a recent switcher - and treated myself to my MBP last April and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Cheers and good luck

18. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can I just ask what features you use specifically? or ones that I should be looking to use?

To be honest having been a windows user for all of my life, I have found the swap exceptionally easy and no where near as daunting as I expected it to be. This machine has to last me a good fair while and is becoming my desk top replacement machine.

19. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

You may be happy today... but you'll be devastated in a week or two. Buying the system now, no matter how great it is, was a mistake.

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Why be a jerk? He bought a new laptop and is happy about it. Good for him. It is a great computer he got. Even if you think he made a mistake you should of just shut up about it without telling him.

21. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope not a mistake, this machine is more then powerful for what I need, I needed it now so why wait? I thought long and hard but I don't mind as I am content having the power in my hands now and utilizing then waiting 3 weeks and have my work suffer until then.

22. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Good for you. Once again congrats on the new laptop.

23. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I've set myself the date of October 14th as well.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

25. Mr Nice Guy macrumors member

Mr Nice Guy