Macbook Pro. It's going back and so am I.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rustman, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Rustman macrumors regular

Rustman

Well, after months of reading these forums I finally bought a Macbook Pro, thinking that my switch from the dark side would be a near epiphany moment. Sadly the moment that I opened the box and switched on the Macbook Pro was only met by disillusionment and disappointment.

The screen was yellow at the bottom.

The lighting at the top of the screen was clearly visible as two bright sources 5cm in from the edge on both sides of the monitor.

Then after closing the lid in disgust I noticed that in my hurry to see Leopard in action (it wasn't installed, but just in the box) the lid did not sit flush, with it lifted 3mm up on the right hand side.

Quality control clearly have different standards to those that part with their cash.

So, after spending 50 minutes in a queue on the phone and then getting forwarded to the US (I'm UK incidentally) and telling my story again, after spending a bit of time explaining my disappointment I was offered £70 off and a replacement. Sadly, it was with a heavy heart (especially as I had already obtained an educational discount) that I had to decline the seemingly decent offer and ask for a return and refund.

I have been looking to switch to Apple for about a decade. Leopard vs Vista finally convinced me, but sadly the beauty of their software and outer looks of their hardware cannot hide the plain truth that they use cheap and very flaky components in their laptop computers, showing contempt for professional users.

I've been a mac pro waiter for months and I find it telling that most of the posts in the Mac Pro forums are about drivers, updates and people moaning about waiting. This section of the forums is flooded with complaints about dodgy hardware, people seemingly happy to compromise by using external DVD writers instead of the broken and noisy Superdrive, failing keyboards, trackpads, backlights, yellowing screens and on and on.

Basically if you're lucky enough to have a working Macbook Pro first time, I'm happy for you. You've had the experience I was looking for. However it seems that even this late in the day for this model, it seems broken and unreliable, the very things that I haven't until now associated with Apple's computers.

I know many of you will think I'm being foolish (perhaps even mad at potentially saving nearly £200), but I wanted a Mac because I was sick of the unpredictability of Windows, but this model of a "pro" machine feels like as much of a lottery, but with a premium price ticket attached.

I remain a potential switcher, but not until I can buy hardware that I can rely on lasting as long as its useful life.

24 hours later...what do I think now?

2. RichardF macrumors 6502

RichardF

I don't blame you. Apple and its contractors aren't doing well on the 15" MBP; that's for sure.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Not all of them are bad These forums make things look worse then they really are my machine is just fine. Simply get a new one it will be fine.

4. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

You know, it's possible you could be trolling, but I'll add to what you're saying by simply saying:
    The MBP is the first product I have ever been disappointed in from Apple. I've had mine a year already and the bad READ speed on my superdrive is being denied as a problem by Apple tech support. 8x is apparently perfectly acceptable for a 24x read-capable drive.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

My first MacBook Pro was a lemon. SOOO much went wrong with it (5 logic board replacements, casing warping/falling apart, bits failing left right and centre), Apple replaced it.

My new one is stunning. In fact it's the best computer I've ever owned.

6. MacAodh macrumors regular

The reason these forums are flooded with complaints is due to us being humans. We will complain allot faster then we will congratulate. To say that apples products are overpriced, over-hyped and, once you get them, surprisingly similar to other products from dell and others would be fair but to say there build quality is not good is, in my opinion, a lie.

I'm on my second apple laptop and I have several friends that are now using macs, many of whom I'm happy to say have switched on my recommendation. I also have owned two ipods and i won't start even trying to count how many friends i have who have owned several. I have heard of one or two people who have complained of problems with there ipods but have never heard of any complaints (other then on forums) about the computers. In my opinion, macs are overpriced and underwhelming but the reason i brought a second one is that they are solid, well build machines and, as the saying goes, "they just work".

Lets face it, is it third largest manufaturer of computers now??? I know it's in the top five anyway... These things happen and i can tell you, from my experience on dell before, it happens much less with other manufactures (Not mentioning anyone in particular... Michael D.. no wait, to obvious, M. Dell... :D)

Lets not forget, I've rang there customer service a few times (ipod, not macbook) and all i can say was dead on... solved everything and replacement was with me within the week

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why? You could just as easily have had a replacement machine, one that was fine. Instead, you get a bad one, write the entire production run off as inadequate and come here to complain... and now you're back at square one.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Seriously?

Your first and only apple laptop was bad? You didn't think 70 (english pound symbol, whatever that is) and a replacement was enough?

Sounded like a pretty good deal to me.

9. Rustman thread starter macrumors regular

Rustman

Trust me, I'd want to be a fanboy before a troll. I just feel like I've been let down by a girl I spent all my school years lusting over. :)

10. Sal Collaziano macrumors regular

I'm one of the lucky converts. So far my MBP and Mac experience is even better than expected.. I think more people are having positive experiences than bad...

11. ClaphamChris macrumors regular

I'm sympathetic to the OP's point. As I see it, Apple's QC isn't the greatest, and when it's positioned as a premium brand that 'just works', when it doesn't, it's felt all the more.

I've bought five Macs and three have been lemons. One (333Mhz iMac) was DOA, iBook (900mhz G3) needed two logic board replacements within three months of owning it, and a PowerBook G4 had the burnout on the logic board that rendered one of the two RAM slots unusable. And that's not even counting the refurb PowerBook I bought that turned up with a non-working SuperDrive, broken keyboard and scratched screen.

I understand the idea that you hear more from the disaffected than those who are satisfied with their purchase, but on the other hand, three out of my five full priced new Macs have had serious defects.

When you have thought about the decision to switch for ages, got really passionate about it and bought a higher-end model, the disappointment when it isn't right out of the box is crushing, I'd guess. Devalues faith in the brand.

I'm still here though. Using Macs day in day out for the last 15 years means I simply couldn't even consider buying a PC. And I'm sitting here on a two week old MBP, with which I couldn't be happier. But I'm lucky and I know it.

Final question on the QC - why are Apple still shipping screens with the yellowing issue, months after it's been identified? I was lucky, but I can sure understand people's frustration when they get a yellowing one.

12. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Agreed.

Seriously mate you should have at least given Apple a second chance - what did you have to lose? If the second turned out to have problems as well then fair enough at least you tried.

Every company, no matter how good they are, will inevitably end up making the odd defective product. Just cos you had problems with the last one doesn't mean the next one will do; you were just unlucky. There are many people out there, including myself, with perfectly working Macbook Pro's. You could still be one of us by trying again! :)

If you really are that paranoid about getting a defective product why don't you just go directly to an Apple store or authourised retailer, buy it, open it up there and then and if there's any problems they can replace it STRAIGHT away. Problem solved.

Come on, you said the whole Vista - Leopard issue drove you over to the Mac side. Yet as soon as you have a problem you seem perfectly content to go straight back to the Windows world. Aren't you even gonna put up a fight? Or maybe subconsciously you never wanted to "cross over" in the first place ... :confused:

13. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Dont give up!!! The MBP is a great notebook! Mine is perfect....but I needed a smaller notebook. So I just picked up a SR MB. Its almost as fast as my pro. The mac osx is well worth the switch so I would give it another try. So far I am lucky because I bought 2 apple notebooks in the last 6 months and have had no problems at all.

14. Rustman thread starter macrumors regular

Rustman

Thank you. You completely get my position. My guess about Apple still using broken screens in their premium products? Apple care more about pleasing their shareholders than professionals who have supported them since the beginning. If that isn't the case, could someone perhaps explain why against all the odds I should receive a duff one when it's so close to a model refresh? Anybody?

I was concerned that the MBP was a flaky and unrealiable product. After having it confirmed for me the disappointment was so crushing that this entire model feels tainted. Apple show contempt for it's pro users by not withdrawing this poor screen from the entire lineup.

I may get a MB vanilla before Christmas. I have a friend in a local Apple store, so.....

15. icecone macrumors regular

You're now quite similar with me, reading months in forums.
    I haven't bought a Mac yet, I wanted a Macbook Pro, it costs so much, fine, but yet the quality control don't look any good. Problems like bottom 1/3 yellowist have not been solved after half a year, with occasionally sleep and hibernate issues which is not so acceptable on a computer whose hardware and software are made by a same company.
    I'm now still using PC(Linux). I hope after MWSF things will get better.

16. Rustman thread starter macrumors regular

Rustman

I didn't want to believe the whiners and the haters. I wanted my experience to be everything that I imagined it to be. It turns out that the whiners and haters are just disappointed people that have shelled out a lot of money expecting their shiny hardware to work in perfect harmony with software made by the same company. When it doesn't I can't just say "Bloody Windows" or "I hate Microsoft". It gets a lot easier to point a finger when the same company is responsible for both.

I'll keep those same fingers crossed that early '08 brings a better designed professional laptop made by a company that understands the importance of quality control.

17. steve77uk macrumors regular

I gave Apple a second chance!

However, i opened it, looked at the screen and repacked it...

The lady convinced me to give them another chance and get another one out to me and appologised.

This is going to be my 2.6ghz 3rd online order. I returned one that I got from the shop 2.4 because they couldn't upgrade the HDD - the screen was perfect on that one!!!!! Grrr

Well another 8 business days to go... :(

I really hope this one works out ok...

18. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

You've answered your own question; "...against all the odds..."

Nothing in life is 100% certain, there's always a chance, no matter how small, that you'll be one of the unlucky ones. Just cos you had a bad day at work doesn't mean every day is gonna be bad. Just cos you got a bad laptop doesn't mean every laptop is gonna be bad.

If all human beings gave up after the first attempt we would've got nowhere. As a species we have hope, we have strength, we have resilience. Don't give up. Be a human being, be a man.

[With patriotic music playing in the background]
    :apple: GO OUT THERE AND FIGHT FOR YOUR PERFECT MACBOOK PRO GODDAMNIT! :apple:

19. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I love my MBP, it has failed me occasionally (certainly less than my previous VAIO) but it's now running smoothly! YUM!

20. Rustman thread starter macrumors regular

Rustman

Man, I hope your tongue was firmly in your cheek. :)

I've waited a good year now for my switch to Apple. I'm simply not prepared to play a lottery on hardware that has been proven time and time again by users around the world to be flawed. The yellow screen is not news and by all the reports, not uncommon. Apple know about it, but don't care enough to sort it out.

And if I did manage to get a good one the next time I would not be confident it wouldn't fall over in the first weeks or months of use. I'm used to this lack of confidence and at the moment it will cost me nothing to have.

So, here I am.. going back to a 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, runnning Windows and costing a 1/4 of the price. For now.

21. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Talking about giving something a chance...

My first MacBook Pro (the first model, Core Duo 2.16Ghz) had all kinds of troubles but after getting a new one it has been perfect.

22. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Mate, you've gone out to purchase a laptop which is chocked to the brim with the latest experimental technology - and you're surprised there are issues?

I'm sorry to say but I have no sympathy who go out and purchase things that are bleeding edge - you wonder why very few others have gone for LED LCD's? because it isn't mature technology yet.

I also question, why so many go for MBP given their requirements don't actually need a MBP - besides the need to have the boast factor of having a MBP.

23. Rustman thread starter macrumors regular

Rustman

Mate, I went out to buy to accommodate my needs. Your assumption that I give a damn about being bleeding edge or holding technology that has a boast factor holds no water. This isn't an iPhone for a teenager, it was a laptop for a graphics professional.

If LED isn't a proven technology in screens, perhaps Apple should have provided more than just two options for its premium laptop ranges. Matte, Glossy, Experimental or Proven?

24. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I do sympathise, I feel their quality control is somewhat lacking at the moment, but I do think you should have taken the exchange, chances are that MBP would have been 'perfect'.

25. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's rather unfortunate that a great deal of responses have been effectively putting the blame on the purchaser for not willing to play test pilot for buggy hardware. As others have said in this and in other threads, there are many known problems with MBPs, but as of today, Apple still has not chosen to rectify them. No amount of calling switchers "quitters" will change this. I guess it's not hard to see where this refusal to admit the lack of quality control comes from, though.