MacBook Pro keeps crashing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Born sloppy, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Born sloppy macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a spanner when it comes to computers, hoping that some of you nice folks will take pity on me and give me some advice.

I have a MacBook Pro (mid 2010) which every so often freezes and crashes - usually whilst or just after using video (Skype, Netflix). After it won't switch back on, it just has a black screen and makes a beeping noise - sometimes beep, pause, beep, pause etc. and sometimes 3 beeps then pause, 3 beeps, pause.

I called support who talked me through a hard reset, then resetting PRAM. Sometimes one or the other works, sometimes neither and I have to wait a day or so to get it working again. I also got someone to open it, clean all the dust out, remove and clean the memory and replace. Right now the laptop is useless.

Can anyone give me a hand? I don't want to take it to a shop unless absolutely necessary because I'm in South America with no official Mac store nearby. Thanks.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Your issue seems to be located in one of either two places:

1. RAM modules
    2. Mainboard chipset

I had a very similar issue with mine and it was resolved only after replacing both of the things I mentioned (AppleCare covered this).