Macbook Pro Keyboard Doesn't respond, backlight still on.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waynezalter, Jan 1, 2011.

1. waynezalter macrumors newbie

So a friend spilled some liquids on his new macbook pro 13 5,5.Unibody
    The keyboard no longer worked, the hd was fried, so he gave it to me and switched to PC's :apple:.
    I replaced the HD, and connected an external keyboard.
    Luckily nothing else was effected and it powered up.
    What I find strange is that the backlight still works although NONE of the keys do.
    The power button and the trackpad still work as well.

I have accepted that I have to purchase a costly top case, but could i not just replace the keys?
    Thanks.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Forget the case, it's a new MacBook Pro keyboard that you need. Also, if I am also not mistaken, the keyboard includes the LED backlighting. I believe the part in question can be found on www.ifixit.com and they also happen to have the cheapest Mac parts around. Furthermore, their site also has guides on how to repair the keyboard from start to finish (the tools you need are mention and they happen to sell them if you lack any).

3. waynezalter thread starter macrumors newbie

Its just a new case that is on ifixit, not a keyboard.
    I bet ifixit employs you. haha

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I wish, I really want a higher paying job. :eek:

No, I just happened to have gotten 3 things from them. A MacBook 13" Aluminum battery cover (a youngling nephew decided the original was to be used as a drum stick and bent the hell out of it), the back black plate of a 1st Gen iPhone, and bottom removable plate of the same MacBook (I dropped it and it got severely scratched).