Macbook Pro Keyboard Peeling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RoyalHockey, Jul 20, 2010.

1. RoyalHockey macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro was left in my car today for just a few hours, in no hotter than 85 degree outside heat, out of direct sun. Hot yes, but not uninhabitable for a laptop.

The lid was closed and I had just assumed it was in sleep mode, however, I opened it a few hours later to find my lcd had remained on and that it never entered sleep. Further, it has a burning plastic smell and my keys have sustained the below damage. I'm out of my year of warranty. This is so bizarre to me, anyone else experienced anything like this?

Also, once back indoors, it's being used without any problems or excess heat issues. There have been no modifications to this machine whatsoever.

Attached Files:

2. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Wow! :eek:

I would visit my nearest Apple Store and see what they have to say.

I've never seen anything like that before...

I'm sorry it happened to you.

Let us know what Apple says,
    -P

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

crack a window

but yes, update with the outcome, interesting indeed, haven't seen anything like it

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow!
    Take it to the Apple Store and see what they say. Tell them the computer overheated, but don't tell them how :cool:

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

DO NOT tell the Apple Geniuses that you left it in your car. Just tell them that you left it on your desk and when you got back to it, it smelled like burning plastic, and you were faced with this <looks at your MBP.>

6. vant macrumors 65816

It'd have to be a lot hotter than 85F to melt plastic.

Since the damage was not centralized above the GPU/CPU area, it is obvious that outside damage was a factor here.

Along with melted keys, you can expect more random errors and decreased battery life from temperature damage.

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

In agreement with some other posts here. Take it to the store and tell then it was asleep on your desk and this happened. This should not happen even in direct sunlight.
    My MacBook Air sometimes wakes itself up and turns it's laptop sleeve into an oven like this... luckily no damage yet..

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Wow. That looks like crap!

The apple guys won't buy that it was the computer that somehow turned itself on in sleep mode. Only if you bump into an extremely generous genius will you get a keyboard (?) replacement.

Along with random errors and decreased battery life, expect screen problems.

9. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

That really sucks man! I hope the Apple Store hooks you up! If not, ifixit can guide you through the kb swap!

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

RoyalHockey, please keep us posted how everything at the genius bar goes! I am interested in your story.

11. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

same i'm also curious. sorry that happened =[