Macbook Pro (Late 2008) - Ethernet not detected in OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RavenWinds, Jan 17, 2009.

1. RavenWinds macrumors member

hi everyone,

i purchased my macbook pro (Late 2008) model the week it was released and it is my pride and joy :D

however tonight i have noticed a problem.

during the week i was using an ethernet connection in OS X with no problems however now the mac does not even find the cable. i tried a different cable with no difference.

i booted into my bootcamp windows xp partition and the ethernet worked perfectly so thank God its not a hardware problem.

after searching google and finding problems from 2006 onwards i found that there were numerous hardware failures but not anything similar to my problem (at least not which i could find).

i reset the pram (or what ever its called) and it made no difference. i ran Onyx and it didnt work. i am covered with applecare if it comes to that however the ethernet was working perfectly yesterday in OS X, it seems a little strange that it buggered up in OS X and not XP.

any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

2. Kaliemon macrumors member

I'm having the same problem.

If you startup from the install dvd that came with your laptop and open network utility, does it connect? Mine does, so I'm thinking its a recent OS X problem.

If I leave the cable connected and startup normally it works until the laptop goes to sleep or I unplug the cable and then I have to do the entire procedure again.

If anyone has any solution for this it would be great.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call up Apple Care or visit your local Apple Store. Sometimes its hardware related.