macbook pro lifespan!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calabi, Jan 28, 2008.

1. calabi macrumors regular

i'm planning on buying one of these new macbook pro's when they're finally updated and become a mac user! just woundering, if i where to get a mid-range macbook pro, do you think it'll last me a good three - four years before needing to be replaced?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Any computer with a c2d will be viable for at least five years, PC or Mac. It's anyone's guess if the hardware will hold up, though.

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

without a doubt.

get the extended applecare and rest worry free without the headaches of peecee garbage

4. mr.light macrumors 6502

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't. I've been using my iBook for four and it is still going strong.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My PB15, which is over 4 years old, still works fine.

6. kato8515 macrumors newbie

kato8515

i have had my laptop for over 8 years running 500mhz and it finaly died after i droped it 4 or 5 times apples last if you can hold on to it

7. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

It's been my experience that Apple computers last an extremely long time. I have a nearly 8 yr. old Cube which is still chugging along quite nicely. The two iBooks our kids have are doing ok (although one needed the logic board and keyboard replaced). My MBP is nearly a year old and looks like new. When I took it apart yesterday to upgrade the hard drive, it was amazing how clean it was on the inside.

8. mantic macrumors 6502a

Hoping my MBP will last a while. I can't see why it wouldn't.

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

The MBP will last at least three years - probably five or more.

My experience has been that what gets you is consistantly upgrading the OS and applications. For example, my 4 year old Powerbook Ti 1.0 came with Jaguar (OS X 10.2) or Panther (OS X 10.3), and it was very fast for it's time. Upgrading to Tiger it was still OK - especially once I added some RAM and took it to a whopping 768MB.

Upgrading to Leopard it is noticably slower, but still very usable for everything but alot of video. The max memory I can put in it is 1G. The internal Airport card is only 802.11B, but I upgraded that to 802.11N with an external card. Hard drive is 60G, but I could upgrade it.

You could argue that some of this is due to the change over from PowerPC to Intel, which kind of left the PowerPC machines in the dust. I doubt we will have another architectural change like that anytime soon!

I'm sure your MBP could run the next version of OS X and it has lots of expandability for memory, so it should last you for a long time...

10. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

The MacBook Pro can last about twice as long as a standard PC. I service PC laptops, PC desktops, the whole sha'bang... but I'm still getting together with friends with their PowerBook's. My Powerbook was purchased in 2003 and still in production... i just edited a 30 minute HD video on it the other day without a glitch! I'm now waiting for my new MacPro to come in the mail, but plan to keep my Powerbook for another couple years.

The MacBook Pros should last about the same. :D

11. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

mbp are quality systems :) yea but id buy the warranty. its really worth it

12. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

i'm sold, i think the MBP is the machine for me :) i hope to still have it in my hands in 8 years time! All i need now is a product update!! arrrggg!! it's driving me mad!! :mad:

13. Zappp macrumors newbie

Lifespan of mac vs pc

it depends on what kind of pc.
    PC = OEM brands like sony, dell, hp, acer etc. = custom built pc.
    most oem brand PC don't use good power supply to lessen the cost.
    most oem brand PC use enough wattage for the whole system only and users try to upgrade video card, add more hard drive that will need more power.
    lifespan of a computer relies on the power supply.
    My last 2 custom built computers last 10 and 14 years without any problem.
    (Usage = average of 13 hours a day).
    no blue screen no crashing no bad sectors
    I used Supermicro and Hec power supplies.
    now my PC use Corsair hx1000. but i don't overclock it. i don't think apple will put a better power supply on a mac pro than corsair.
    remember, apple don't make their own computers.

14. slideworks macrumors member

slideworks

As long as you take care of it, it should last a nice long time. My dad has a g4 Powerbook from 2001 that is still going strong.

15. a.jfred macrumors 6502

My old Macbook is still running strong, and it's 4 years old (and I bought it second hand, running Tiger). I did have to recently upgrade the hard drive, due to HD failure, but a restore from Time Machine was painless.

16. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Remember, this thread is from January 29, 2008. You are replying to a 2.5+ year old thread.:D

17. Zappp macrumors newbie

Does it make any difference?

18. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

19. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

my PB G4 is 6yrs old. I just need a new battery. :D It serves as a backup/dvd player. if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I actually just got one from my aunt and am currently installing Leopard on it. I'm amazed at what good shape its in! :eek:

21. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yup.. Same for me.. I'm on my 2nd MBP, 1st was 2006 1.8Ghz, this one is 3 year old 2.4 GHz and STILL works great.. Won't get rid of it til something a lot different happens.. LOVE the Keyboard and Battery Life is decent..

And, APPLECARE has paid for itself for me on this one, got a NEW screen.. Yesterday.. (it had some funny Bright/Dark splotches appear in the last while) at 30++ months!! I could still use it easily, but with any Critical Photo work it was kinda ODD to work around; general use was NO problem though.. :-/

:cool: :apple:

22. silveradoman01 macrumors member

over the years I have always had great luck with apple products. I just get the bug to get the latest and greatest and get a new one. I had a buddy who had an imac g4 that still works today. My old core 2 duo mac book worked like the day I got it when I sold it a year later. I notice on PC systems they slow down even after 6 months of use.

23. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I love my Apple already. Within 2 weeks of owning a Dell, the casing had creaks and imperfections. I am at 2 months now with the new MBP 13" and the casing still looks like it was the FIRST DAY I got it.

The only thing showing wear is the keyboard. It is going from that matte finish to the shiny finish which is my only concern but that is how all keyboards are.

24. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Apparently the lifespan of a thread is about the same as the lifespan of a Mac.

25. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

:D 65465465465465498791654978 ^9 years