Macbook Pro Mid 2009 SSD + Ram Upgrade + EL Capitan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mustafaerdinc, Sep 29, 2016.

1. mustafaerdinc macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an Mid 2009 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo MPB and planning to give it a breath with SSD + 8 GB Ram Upgrade. Then I will install El Capitan.

To my knowledge Mid 2009 MBP supports only SATA II and I found Crucial BX200 240GB at a great prize. I wanted to ask your opinion before proceed.

Do you recommend Crucial BX200 240 GB? Since there is only SATA II support do you think it is not worth for go Pro-Class SSDs?

I also need your ram upgrade recommendations.

Best wishes and many thanks.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Correct, it's not worth throwing the wallet at a top-spec SSD as your SATA interface won't be able to make the most of it. That Crucial SSD you picked is fine. :)

RAM? Well, Crucial are great for that too! 2x4GB DDR3 1066MHz SODIMM is what you need, bumping it to the maximum of 8GB. Other brands like Kingston would be fine for the RAM too.

3. mustafaerdinc thread starter macrumors newbie

@keysofanxiety

I would proceed with Crucial BX200 + RAM Kid. Thanks for your opinion. Do you think will El Capitan work good for daily tasks with SSD + 8GB rams?

Regards

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

El Cap will run like El Butter when you fit those upgrades. It'll be like a new Mac. :)

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

Depends on your needs. I'd be of the opinion that a BX200 would be too slow even on a SATA I machine.
    It will work fine, but it'll be horrendously slow for file transfers.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yes agree with JTToft the bx200 is just about the only bad SSD you can't currently buy, the only bad choice to make.

7. mustafaerdinc thread starter macrumors newbie

@Samuelsan2001 @JTToft

Thanks for your replies. I am open for suggestions. I need a SSD which will speed up my MBP. I will use it daily tasks and sometimes sketching with a wacom.

What about Crucial mx300? Will this be a bad choice to? I would love to hear your opinions.

Best wishes and many thanks for your kind replies and time.

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- MX300 is fine. Though if you can get a Samsung 850 EVO at a similar price, go for that instead.

9. mustafaerdinc thread starter macrumors newbie

@JTToft

They have smilar prices. I would go for Samsung 850 Evo thanks to you. I hope it would go along with my MBP :)

Thanks again.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yeah either of the crucial mx or the Samsung evo ranges are just fine with your Mac.