MacBook Pro Mid-2009 Users, Are you getting a new one or going to wait a bit longer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iAppleseed, Mar 25, 2012.

?

If you are getting a new one, what would it be?

1. MacBook Pro

40 vote(s)
    78.4%
  2. MacBook Air

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  3. iMac

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. Mac Pro/Other Computer

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. iAppleseed macrumors regular

I think I might need to update my Obsolete MacBook Pro...

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A 2009 MBP still does e-mail, facebook, and movie watching just fine. If you need more than that odds are you wouldn't post such a nebulous question.

4. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Still undecided

Hmmm...my macbook pro 2009 doesn't feel outdated by any means. I'm still comfortably able to do all of the tasks I require of a computer (Word, Excel powerpoint a little bit of photoshop etc.)

That being said I would appreciate a lighter computer and basically I will wait to see if Apple upgrades or kills the 13inch MBP. If they upgrade it and it is lighter (even by half a pound) I'll probably go with that. Otherwise MBA it is...

5. cole01 macrumors 6502

I'll probably hold on to my mid-2009 2.66GHZ 15" until the next MacBook Pro redesign. I upgraded it to 8GB of ram and it runs Lion very smoothly along with some heavy editing work such as Photoshop, Illustrator etc. It's still a very capable machine.

And as a bonus, I'm still under AppleCare until December '12. :)

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I am pretty certain I will be upgrading. Once I see the new models, I'll know if I go the MBP or MBA route.

7. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

The 2009 MBP certainly isn't obsolete! But I like to update every 2 years or so anyway.

I have a 2010 13" MBP and I'm looking to upgrade with the next release. Just hoping Apple doesn't screw things up, for me at least, by making either doing away with the 13" MBP or making it too much like the MBA. Some people still need a second drive, swapping out ODD with Optibay, user expandable RAM, FW, GB Ethernet etc. in a smaller form factor than what a 15" MBP is.

8. Blue604 macrumors regular

my 2009 macbook pro still works great. i upgraded to 8gb ram and aperture works great. i don't see any need to upgrade unless they come out with retina display macbook pro

9. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I replace my laptop every 3 years and as I bought this MBP in November 2009 that replacement date is approaching. My choice of a MBP or MBA will depend on the specifications of the machines to be released in the next quarter. I will be keeping my Mac Pro for another 1-2 years so I don't need a desktop machine. Nor do I need a laptop with enough horsepower to replace a desktop, unless Apple finds a way to make the Ivy Bridge CPUs run cooler and quieter than what I read here about the current quad-core machines. I am not a fan of high-revving fans.

If MBAs are offered with at least 8GB of RAM this time around then I will probably go that route. But at this point I am just waiting on the next round of product announcements.

10. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I have read about several people who takes their 2009 13" Mpb and gets memory and SSD and thus buffing it to a standard higher than the 2011 standard versions. This is all well and good for those whos demands are on the lower side. I personally play some games with my wife and occassionally use designsoftware so for me the 15", with a probable purchase of extra memory and an SSD is the most interesting alternative, I guess if the 13" has its own dedicated GPU and Quad core in the coming release it could be a contender, but the screen size is a bit of a downer and I will in all likelyhood go for the 15", the standard version will probably have to do, extra resolution would be nice but I doubt Ill have the cash for it. Ill focus on SSD and extra RAM since thats more performance.

11. antseg macrumors member

I bought my 13" in 2009 for a really good deal, but my needs have changed and I need more screen real estate and a high-performing computer.

I do love my ole Macbook Pro and will probably be passing it down, but I'll be looking to the 15" Pro in the next refresh.

12. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

"Obsolete" is a relative term which depends heavily on what you are using the machine for.

My 5,5 runs just fine on its 8GB of memory and 7200 rpm drive. Then again, I don't do any gaming, and only rarely get into Photoshop now.

I'll replace it eventually, probably with an MBA since that will accomplish everything I need it to at a smaller size.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Tim Cook thinks MacBook Pro is too old so there might be new MackBook Air 11", 13", 15", and 17" models.

14. frank.deale macrumors regular

My 5,1 runs like a brand new computer, especially since the update that got rid of the blinking screen. No plans to get a new computer, but if I did, I would get another Pro.

15. jumpman25 macrumors regular

If you don't use your computer for CPU intensive stuff (video encoding, photoshop) and haven't done so already, upgrade to an SSD. For tasks such as word, excel, internet, email and watching movies, listening to music you will notice absolutely no difference between the 2009 machines and a brand new one. I put an 80gb Intel SSD in my 2.8Ghz MBP and everything is instant. The machine runs like a dream.

16. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Ive been thinking about a 15inch pro but i have spend so much money in then last months that i probably going to hold till next year

17. Melons macrumors member

Just updated my 13" with a 120gb ssd, new battery and a new Magsafe adapter and it feels kinda new again. But most likely i will sell it and go 15" when the new ones hit. I dont like the low resolutions when im used to 2540x1440 on my regular monitor.

18. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Yup my Late 2008 Early 2009 Macbook Pro 15 inch still run like New. And I have Lion install on it with express card slot. Which the only difference to the Newer model is thunderbolt.

19. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

My 2009 has 8GB RAM, and an SSD, runs fast. I feel it's a little sluggish on some tasks like Google Street view and Flash.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a 2010 MBP (core2duo) and its fine for most of my tasks. I will be upgrading to the newer model, mostly because the 13" display is too limiting and I do want something with a little more pep as I use photoshop and lightroom

21. iAppleseed thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I've tried 4K. I have never seen anything laggier.

22. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

Was thinking about upgrading whenever the new Macbook Pros comes out. But got a new battery about a month ago via AppleCare. So might keep my 13" 2.53Ghz a year more. Thinking of buying a SSD for it. The RAM is already maxed out at 8GB. Only times were I find it a bit slow for my needs is when using Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6. The old C2D just feels a bit too slow for those tasks.

23. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Not all that many movies in 4K though, are there? Let alone screens capable of displaying a native 4K video.

24. iAppleseed thread starter macrumors regular

The Apple Cinema Display is. Not all of the details though. But it sure is better than 1080p.

25. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

No it isn't. The ACD and Thunderbolt Display are both 2560x1440. Native 4K is over 3800 pixels horizontally. There are no consumer monitors capable of displaying that resolution.