Macbook Pro new GPU but no 15" without touchbar?

geeksweep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
So we get a new update for GPUs for the new macbook pros. Thats a nice start. Then i see there still isn't and won't be an option to buy a 15" without a touchbar. LAME. There's absolutely no reason to not offer that option, after knowing full well, how utterly useless it is and something no one asked for or needs. But because it's apple and it's their 'brainchild' they'll take it to their grave before admitting it's an utter dud. (how long did it take them to admit that the butterfly keyboards were faulty?)

I don't know who the touchbar was designed for. Most of the things that it does for you, besides the volume and brightness controls most 'pro' users already have a keyboard shortcut for. i.e. CMD+N for new page for a Pages document, or CMD+L to open up the browser and have the cursor in the search bar or shifting tabs. I already do these things automatically and do them a lot - without looking at the keyboard.

Is apple ever going to give us a 15" with no touchbar option?

Reactions: g75d3

cfdlab

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Agree TB is useless for most people and makes it slower to do some things. I was really hoping they would release a non-TB version this summer but it did not happen. If they do, then they would have to reduce the price and then not many people might buy the TB versions. I think apple wouldnt want such a situation. My guess is they will drop it altogether in future.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
I also think they'll drop it.

You'd think Mojave would bring a host of new features to add value to the Touch Bar. It hasn't.

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
I like touchbar.

I hate the fact that my 5k computer is a month old and a new gpu is dropped which i’d buy in a heartbeat and i cant return it....

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
I like touchbar.

I hate the fact that my 5k computer is a month old and a new gpu is dropped which i’d buy in a heartbeat and i cant return it....
A bit off topic but I just got off the phone with Apple and I made an argument about my MacBook Pro which was bought upon release but took more than a month to arrive hence its just under 3 months old and they are bringing it to the higher ups to possibly get my MacBook Pro replaced with the new Vega GPU which if I an get 30% power increase- I don't believe in 60% power increase - would be ever so helpful with the line of work that I am in.

Reactions: Queen6

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
A bit off topic but I just got off the phone with Apple and I made an argument about my MacBook Pro which was bought upon release but took more than a month to arrive hence its just under 3 months old and they are bringing it to the higher ups to possibly get my MacBook Pro replaced with the new Vega GPU which if I an get 30% power increase- I don't believe in 60% power increase - would be ever so helpful with the line of work that I am in.
That's the second time i heard this :eek:
wow

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
So we get a new update for GPUs for the new macbook pros. Thats a nice start. Then i see there still isn't and won't be an option to buy a 15" without a touchbar. LAME. There's absolutely no reason to not offer that option, after knowing full well, how utterly useless it is and something no one asked for or needs. But because it's apple and it's their 'brainchild' they'll take it to their grave before admitting it's an utter dud. (how long did it take them to admit that the butterfly keyboards were faulty?)

I don't know who the touchbar was designed for. Most of the things that it does for you, besides the volume and brightness controls most 'pro' users already have a keyboard shortcut for. i.e. CMD+N for new page for a Pages document, or CMD+L to open up the browser and have the cursor in the search bar or shifting tabs. I already do these things automatically and do them a lot - without looking at the keyboard.

Is apple ever going to give us a 15" with no touchbar option?
Possibly without a Touch Bar but I doubt it. Maybe a revision/replacement to it in the future. Since the Touch Bar relies upon the T(x) chips, then not having one at all is most likely not going to happen since it's used more as a selling point for price increases, as opposed to overall usefulness-to-value. This covers their RDP and other associated costs for including the T(x) which is not optional. Just my thoughts.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I don't think they'll drop it, but if they do, then you can kiss TB goodbye. First off developers won't be embracing, why bother for a feature that apple seemingly discontinuing, and it will make a niche component even more niche. Dropping it now, only produces negatively and negative press, I think it will quietly disappear during the next redesign.

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
I don't think they'll drop it, but if they do, then you can kiss TB goodbye. First off developers won't be embracing, why bother for a feature that apple seemingly discontinuing, and it will make a niche component even more niche. Dropping it now, only produces negatively and negative press, I think it will quietly disappear during the next redesign.
I'm gonna miss it really - i use it as I would have used Logic Remote if it werent so big and clumsy

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Apple can't get rid of it soon enough.

While it is at is, it could also shrink the trackpad, make the 15" larger so it could actually cool the hardware inside it, add back useful ports that don't require ding-dang-dongles, and maybe, just maybe, go back to including a keyboard that actually works and that doesn't suck.

But it is the new Apple, so it won't do any of those things.

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
Apple can't get rid of it soon enough.

While it is at is, it could also shrink the trackpad, make the 15" larger so it could actually cool the hardware inside it, add back useful ports that don't require ding-dang-dongles, and maybe, just maybe, go back to including a keyboard that actually works and that doesn't suck.

But it is the new Apple, so it won't do any of those things.
Usb-c is great, i dont get the hate.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'm gonna miss it really - i use it as I would have used Logic Remote if it werent so big and clumsy
You sir are in the minority here at Macrumors it seems. I can't say how well its being used in the real world but its seems there is a vocal segment of people who hate it

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I don't think I've ever spoken to any MBP owner who likes it. Nearly 24 months into it's rarely brought up in any professional context. Sure looks pretty, though.

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
I don't think I've ever spoken to any MBP owner who likes it. Nearly 24 months into it's rarely brought up in any professional context. Sure looks pretty, though.
because its not available on the external keyboard so if you want to use it you're stuck with the buiilt i i i i i i i i i i i i i i ii i

i think my keyboard just started acting up. one month old. 2018. using a keyboard cover.
wat

:eek:o_Oi i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i
seems to be fine now

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
because its not available on the external keyboard so if you want to use it you're stuck with the buiilt i i i i i i i i i i i i i i ii i

i think my keyboard just started acting up. one month old. 2018. using a keyboard cover.
wat

:eek:o_Oi i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i
seems to be fine now
Missed the point.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
While it is at is, it could also shrink the trackpad.
I have to disagree with this, I actually love the trackpad on the newer MacBook Pros. I mean I switch back and forth with a windows machine and my MacBook and the trackpad on the MacBook Pro is so much better!

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
Missed the point.
No not really. I have rarely seen any professional context where laptop is used. Not a single video editor, audio producer, sound post production, colorist, photographer i've worked with used machine open. All in clamshell. You can only use touchbar if you used it as a laptop, so it's ruled out in most professional contexts by default.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
No not really. I have rarely seen any professional context where laptop is used. Not a single video editor, audio producer, sound post production, colorist, photographer i've worked with used machine open. All in clamshell. You can only use touchbar if you used it as a laptop, so it's ruled out in most professional contexts by default.
Right, but thanks for repeating what I said earlier.

robvas

macrumors 68030
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I am adapting to using the touchbar, and am becoming a bit of a fan.

It is easier to use for common things like changing volume and brightness. Just press the appropriate button and move your finger left or right to change the setting. Great improvement over separate up and down buttons
Great. Now do it without looking down at the touchbard/keyboard.