MacBook Pro not for "Pros" anymore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smallnshort247, Oct 26, 2010.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I thought it would interesting to get your thoughts on this. Back when I started getting interested in Macs in the 2000's I got the idea that the MacBook Pro's were meant for the "Pro user" who did high end video editing, etc. The every day user that would check facebook, watch youtube videos and use AIM would just get a white MacBook or Mac Mini. Well now, it seems like everyone is getting a MacBook Pro. From the facebook checker to the amateur or pro video editor. Most of the Pros I see people with are the 13 inch models, but it just seems like the MacBook Pros are too much of a main stream Apple consumer computer compared to the popular MacBooks. Now price/spec wise, it probably makes more sense to go with the MacBook Pros. Also, do you guys think this trend of buying the higher end computer for basic tasks will make its way to the quad core iMac and Mac Pros? The main point is that the MacBook Pro to me seems to be losing its prestigious name and now becoming a computer that grandma would buy.

Oh, and hopefully this didn't come across as a "I hate rich kids who buy expensive macs" type thing. I myself have a MacBook Pro and I LOVE seeing users make their way over to the Mac side of things for the first time.

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

I'd pay 15% more for a laptop which looks (and probably is) more durable and for a few more gigs of RAM.

Considering that I made the "prefer Macbook Pro vs Macbook" decision in terms of what I would like to buy I'd say I fit exactly into the group you describe :)

3. Hendricks433 macrumors newbie

I think when it comes to the 13" models its hard to not choose the MBP because it looks way better especially for us guys, and most of the time you can get it for a similar price as the MB. Once you get into the 15 and 17" models its a little different because price goes way up.

4. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Thats very true! But do you remember when Apple made the 13" Aluminum Unibody MacBook's and still kept the white MacBooks around? I wish they never moved the Aluminum 13" Unibody MacBook up to the MacBook Pro name. At the same time, they still could of given it a lot of the pro features like the backlit keyboard, etc.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I think the real Pros buy Mac Pros and not a notebook computer. :)

6. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

It's just a marketing ploy for the mass. A real "pro" doesn't buy a product just because it's called pro. What Shakespeare said.

7. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    This is a really stupid argument.

Macbook pros are tools. If you need a mac to do your work, you buy one. If some granny wants to use a Macbook pro, I could care less.

Macs are cheaper now than ever. I remember having to spend $2500-$3000 for notebooks, they now cost half that much and are much more powerful.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

1. There was no MacBook Pro in the early 2000s.

2. The MacBook Pros were never really for "pros". It's just a product name for their higher end models. Think of it as their luxury model.

3. PowerBooks were far better spec'ed than iBooks, except for near the end of both product lines, when Moto couldn't provide a decent CPU and Apple was forced to upgrade every laptop to similar CPUs and even gpu.

4. The 12" PB was never that "pro". The difference between it and the iBook was alway around 1 upgrade step.

5. Since the aluminium Powerbooks were released, I don't think any of the PBs very pro either, except maybe the 17". I think the 15" Titanium PB was the last 'real' pro Mac laptop that had the specs to back it up.

6. What is a "pro", and what does this person do?

9. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

Is it really that big of a deal...you are a "pro" user as u call it, and benefit from the features it has to offer, and thats all that really matters.For me, the choice was a white,toyish looking laptop from apple for $900 or the pro from microcenter for $999. I went with the obvious choice even if i dont do much video editing.

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Plenty of professionals working in video and photography use MacBook Pros. They can run Final Cut and Aperture without a problem.

The thing is, computers in general have just gotten very capable, so there are lots of portable machines now that are capable of doing what was once thought of as heavy lifting.

The 13" MBP seems to lag behind, looking more like a MBP than performing like one. Of course, the same was true of the 12" PowerBook that people around here romanticize so even though it was basically an iBook dressed up as a PowerBook.

11. acribb macrumors regular

EXACTLY.

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Like mine :D In fact, I love that mine is just a MacBook, just for the fact that it is unique among the sea of whitebooks and MBPs. I'm certain the Pro moniker is just a marketing trick to make you think you're buying something significantly better. I think it's hard to make pro and consumer differentiations anymore, especially with notebooks, because there is so much processing power now available cheaply, that you might as well just use the better stuff for all of them. When there was a big difference between powerbooks and iBooks, a small difference in processing power cost a lot more

13. bigjobby macrumors 65816

... a lady of the night? :rolleyes:

14. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Are you just feeling that you, being a MBP user, are not so special anymore?

The real Pro MBPs are the 17 inch MBPs. Although they are officially still regular MBPs, they are definitely a class higher than the rest of the MBPs. For one thing, they have the 132 PPI screens that even the latest MBA 13s do not match.

This is the only portable computer I have seen that can seriously replace a desktop(from a mac side anyway. PLENTY of PC options exist).

15. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Yeah I know. I didn't state that right on my part. I meant to get across that I became interested in Apple computers in the early 2000's, not that MacBook Pros were around back then.

And to the rest of you all, sorry that my post disappointed. I just thought it was an interesting topic.

16. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

The MacBook you have is the same one I had as my first Mac! You're totally right about the marketing "pro" name. I purchased my MacBook 30 days before they released the new 13" MBP's with the better specs and cheaper price, so that got to me the whole time I used that computer. I eventually sold it to my sister and got the MBP 15" but that 13" was definitely unique. I also find it funny how a lot of people don't remember/know about it till this day.

17. Prhymeate macrumors member

Who cares about the name if it does what you want better than anything else within your price range?

18. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I totally agree. Its just that within these forums and youtube comments, I've noticed that many people get slightly ticked off if they notice someone who buys say a mac pro and don't use it for the purpose I guess it was intended for. Yeah when it comes down to it, its their money and they can throw it off a bridge for all I care and it wont effect me at all. I just thought people had more of a opinion on it.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you want prestige or exclusiveness, get a ferarri enzo. Your macbook pro only cost $999 - $3000 (depending on configuration). mbp users aren't closer to god. If Apple dumbs down the macbook pro because the majority of users aren't pushing them, pro users who need such will jump to a vendor who'll give em what they want.. Apple can't pump out whatever they want and people will buy it; they must cater to the market and market what sells. Grandma likes it, so do you.

Enjoy.

20. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

1) A $999-$3,000 is quite expensive for a computer. Most computer users are PC users who are usually spending 500-800 for a quality Windows computer.

2) I'd still say that any computer that is 2,000-3,000 is the ferarri of computers. That doesn't mean its the most powerful on the market, but it usually isn't something the every day consumer would buy.

3) I have to disagree with what you said about Apple not being able to pump out whatever they want and have people buy. They're one of the better companies at doing exactly that. To a certain degree, Apple caters to the customers wants and needs, but most times its Apple telling us what we need..then its up to the customer to either buy it or switch platforms.

21. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

After reading a lot of peoples responses, it sounds like most of you guys agree with me when I say the MacBook Pro (or any higher end Apple notebook of its time) has now become a computer that the average consumer with basic tasks will purchase. At the same time you're saying you could care less..which I understand.

22. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

I would have bought exactly this model, no matter what name it has had :p

23. tharris0101 macrumors member

Basically the problem is that the 13" MBP isn't really a MBP.. But its genius marketing I think. People pay a bit more money over the MB because the 13" MBP looks just like the expensive, slightly larger MBPs but for significantly cheaper. For these people, the computer is speced out perfectly and they will never tax the computer (see: my girlfriend who uses it for web browsing and light photoshop work). The people who need to use it for professional applications, spend the extra money and get a machine that can handle their needs. These higher end users don't care that the 13" exist, they just need the computer that can best get the job done.

I go to coffee shops frequently and all I see are rows and rows of 13" MBPs. Apple must be doing something right.

24. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

I can agree that when I first purchased my MBP I was a "normal" user only surfing the net, checking emails etc etc but I have noticed that I have gotten more involved my usage has increased. Learning how to use iMovie to create family vacations and holiday get together to share with family and friends. I am steadily improving in my understanding of more advanced programs but I do believe that the MBP's, as already stated, are the best bang for your buck.

25. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That they are. Their marketing is brilliant. It is all modern and professional looking and sounding, with very convincing reasons to buy. Apple is the best at making a product no one really needs, and selling it in mass quantities (read iPad).