MacBook Pro not turning on past grey screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Navywife, May 17, 2011.

1. Navywife macrumors newbie

I am in desperate need of help..My husband is leaving for Afghanistan in a week, and my MacBook just decided to quit..this is our sole way of communication when he is gone..:(

For the last couple weeks it seems I've been getting the pinwheel a lot. I thought it was more when I tried to open IPhoto. Today it did it again and froze, and when I shut down via the button, when I tried to restart it won't go past the grey beginning screen. I've only had it a year, probably just past warranty. I searched this forum, I tried troubleshooting via the posts. I tried the safe boot, got the error "invalid node structure" over and over until I shut it down again. I then tried the disc test, and it froze after 53 minutes of testing. The first test showed pass, but didn't get beyond that..

I'm at a loss..can't afford to take it in to somebody, and my husband will be leaving.. I know, blah blah blah..if anybody can help me I would be FOREVER grateful, and so would my family.. :(

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

It sounds like you need to reinstall Mac OS.
    If you have saved most of your data and can afford to lose what is on the machine, go ahead and perform an reinstall by inserting the Mac OS Install DVD that came with the computer, and holding the C key at startup, then following the on screen info once it starts up.
    You might also be interested in trying a reinstall and archive in an attempt to save your data. You do this pretty much the same way as described above, just make sure you select "archive and install" from the install options menu.

3. Navywife thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I do the reinstall/archive the same way, holding down the c key? Also, the disc is already in the MacBook, and it won't eject...

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If you have your data backed up, then yes boot holding the C key with the disc in. If the disc is stuck, then your drive may be another issue.

Also, best of luck to your husband while overseas - we all hope he gets home safely and soon!

5. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

You performed the Apple Hardware Test from the install disc or the Disk Utility check after being logged in? The Apple Hardware Test is done by inserting Disc 1 of the installation discs and holding down the `D' key on your keyboard when turning it on.

If the hardware test is what failed to complete, based on the problems you're mentioning, it may be a hard drive issue. Pinwheels, freezing, failing to get to the login screen, and invalid data are too many problems to be purely a software issue.

6. Navywife thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, I did the Apple Hardware test with the Apple disc, and it froze after 53 minutes..It stated it had one "pass" on the test. That was the long test. I tried again using the short test method, and it again froze..so, should I still try restarting with the "c"?

Thank you guys so much for helping me..I'm at a loss here..:(

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It could be a bad hard drive. I'd try reinstalling OSX once and if you still have the problem try swapping out the drive.

8. Navywife thread starter macrumors newbie

Rebooted with disc in, holding down 'c'- nothing..won't go past the grey apple screen..I hear the disc running, but nothing..

9. Navywife thread starter macrumors newbie

It actually is an Applications Install DVD, I think that is the only one that came with it..

10. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Yeah that won't work. It came with 2 discs, but if you don't have the OSX DVD then you have to either borrow one or go pick up Snow Leopard from a store. The problem is that the issue could still be the HDD (and additionally your Superdrive if it's not ejecting discs).

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

But in either case, you'd still need to have a copy of Snow Leopard or an install disk.

12. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

13. Navywife thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an 2 mac OSX discs from an old macbook..not sure if they will work for this problem?

14. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

No each disc is machine specific (if it is grey)
    If your disc is not grey and instead white with a snow leopard on it it should work to reinstall though.

15. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If you know anyone who has a retail copy of Snow Leopard, you could borrow their disc.

16. Navywife thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope I'm not becoming annoying..:eek:

I found the original disc that came with the computer..I inserted it and opened disk utility, and "repair disk"..it said the disk was corrupt and needed repair..
    I clicked on repair, then got all the errors again about "invalid node structure" etc..

I then tried the reinstall from the OS disc, and got to the part where it asked where I wanted to install, but the box was blank..

The laptop is still under warranty, however this was a larger hard drive that was put in, not original to the laptop..

Say it..I'm screwed..:(

17. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Sounds like the hard drive is dead. Just gonna have to get a new one. Could be much worse. Still not a good situation though, if you've got stuff on that hard drive that's lost now. Sorry.

18. Navywife thread starter macrumors newbie

well, I erased the hard drive and reinstalled the OS X disc..it actually turned on normal, until I tried to load the applications DVD and restore with TM..then I got the grey screen with flashing question mark..Is that like the blue screen of death? :(

19. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Hold down the OPTION key then press the power button.

You will then see an screen with options of which disk to boot from. Choose the one with the new install.

The folder and ? mark frequently mean that it cannot find the OS.

20. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I have the same issue, only it happens again weekly

21. Navywife thread starter macrumors newbie

Scratch that..no more question mark..it's just a blank grey screen.

The HD is under warranty, so a new one is on it's way..I hope that is what it is..

Thanks for your help :)

22. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Warranty replacements beat paying out of pocket any day.

Hopefully that fixes the issue, and since you have a Time Machine backup, hopefully you do not lose any data.

Restore via Time Machine instructions HERE.

23. Navywife thread starter macrumors newbie

In light of sounding extremely computer illiterate (which I am) I put the OSx disc in and did a HD repair under disk utility- it said the HD was fine..I am so confused..I am now re-installing from the DVD..if somebody has the time to walk me through this one last time...(grrrrr, I know) what do I need to do after the install of the OS disc..applications disc? I then have a separate TM drive, but that's where I think I ran into problems last night when I was trying to restore....I wish I was more intelligent in this area..

So now a new hard drive is coming, and I don't even know if it's bad...:eek:

24. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

I'm no expert! My wifes MBP is having the grey screen and I'm doing a re install as I type. I'm following this:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3910#1

I'm also erasing the "free space". I figure I it can't hurt while I'm at it.

25. Navywife thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm doing too..long and painful process..:eek: