Macbook Pro, now? Or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjthexer, Jul 22, 2011.

  1. jjthexer macrumors newbie

    Jul 22, 2011
    Okay so my birthday is September 25, & on the buyers guide it says MBP are middle cycle. So I really don't want to buy it in september for my birthday & then they come out with a new one in like 2 months. Considering the fact new Macbook Airs come standard with SSD's now that almost makes me want to wait to see what the new Macbook pros will have. I just wish I had a better idea of when they would be launching them. Because the Macbook Pro I'm getting is going to get a 128gb SSD, & an i7 & the hi-rest non glossy display.
  2. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2011
  3. Huliodude macrumors member

    Aug 12, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Don't listen to the guy above me, just look at his username? Hahaha.

    Buy it now, I just did last week. It's smoking. There's always something new coming out anyhow.
  4. jjthexer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 22, 2011
    Do you have any idea except for what macrumors says on when it will come out?
  5. Broph macrumors 6502


    Jun 23, 2010
    New Zealand
    I'd prob wait - unless you really really need it.

    I'm in the same boat, and I've decided to wait because I don't *NEED* it at this stage.

    There's talks about a redesign for the next MBP, so will be good to see.
  6. jjthexer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 22, 2011
    Ya, I just hope they new design doesn't suck because I like it.
  7. engaged44 macrumors member

    Jan 10, 2011
    buy it now. summer is the best time to buy new macs. there most likely won't be a refresh until 2012.
  8. dagamer34 macrumors 65816


    May 1, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Don't expect anything before Ivy Bridge in March 2012.
  9. madisonfaye macrumors regular


    Jul 7, 2011
    No one can know for certain what is coming out when (besides Apple).

    My best guess is that it won't be until 2012 that major changes happen.

    Even then, you should get the laptop when you want it. Apple is always changing and releasing new products, your laptop will always become outdated more quickly than you'd like. My best advice is that if you're waiting for a laptop that won't be outdated within a year, then you'll be waiting forever :p
  10. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2011
    Don't listen to ^^ this guy OP. He just bought his last week so he doesn't want to feel envious when you get he latest one when they refresh the pro :D
  11. seong macrumors 65816


    Feb 11, 2010
    lol. I can't believe people here are actually saying either 'buy now because there won't be a refresh until 2012' or 'wait because there will be a refresh.'
    If you want to buy a laptop, think before you buy it. IF you need it desperately for some kind of project or trip, then I will say go for it. However, if you can wait, then wait. There is no real reason to hurry.

    Here is a checklist that I go through if I want to buy a new laptop:
    [] Do you really need a better laptop/computer? If yes, continue.
    [] (If you have a computer that you use currently) Do you have any buyers willing to purchase your current laptop/computer? If yes, continue. If no, you can still continue, but remember you'll get more money out of it by selling your current machine.
    [] Are there any significant difference (performance/aesthetic) that you can take advantage of? For e.g. The new 2nd gen. Core i series can do hyper threading, so you can take advantage of that if you are a CPU intensive user, such as Final Cut Pro or gamer. If yes, continue.
    [] Do you have enough money to purchase the machine you want? If yes, continue.
    [] Will you not regret if there is a refresh next month (even though you won't know if it's going to be any better)? If yes, buy the laptop!

    The list is nothing special. Again, if you can wait, then wait. But remember, nobody knows when there will be a refresh in the future. It might take more than you expected for the refresh.
  12. JacaByte macrumors 6502

    Dec 26, 2009
    Checklist aside, it's my opinion that the Early 2011 MBP is the best Mac Apple has sold in a long time. It places Apple's laptops back on the cutting of technology; it's the first MBP with a 1333 MHz frontside bus, the first laptop with a thunderbolt port (for which cables cost $50 apiece. *cough*), the first to combine a Sandy Bridge Intel processor with a similarly powerful AMD graphics chip (which I despise with a vengeance, but that's just me), preserves the colossal battery life that the MBP before it introduced, and can go toe to toe with just about any similarly priced Windows laptops on the market.

    The 2011 MBP was a tick in Apple's tick-tock development cycle, IMHO. The next MBP in Apple's lineup will most certainly be a tock, introducing a faster processor, and maybe a larger HDD, for the same price. I say go ahead and buy one now if you want one.
  13. jjthexer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 22, 2011
    Well, I most definitely want it. But, I already have an i7 with 8gbs of ram gtx460m 1.5gb ddr5 graphics with a 1Tb, hard drive in this laptop I have now. So as far as power thats not what I want it for. I want it because it's thin much easier to lug around & the 7 hours of battery life is what I need for my lifestyle. & as far as editing I do a lot of photography, not to say my pc cant do the same job. But I just want something lighter that lasts longer in terms of battery. I start school in september & I would love 100 dollars for the mac app store...Because I have no software for mac =P. & I work full time. & there will be dead time from when I get off school waiting to go to work & thats why I want this little beast.

    So from that, you guys still say worth it get it now? Or wait for refresh?
  14. Unpleasant macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2011
    get one now.

    when the refresh comes out just sell the current one. Apple stuff hold there value fairly good. so you just need to shell out ~200-500 for next generation one. which in my opinion isn't bad at all.
  15. DropKick macrumors member

    Feb 19, 2008
    I was in the same boat but you might as well buy now. There's always something bigger and better "right around the corner". I would also stay away from a 1st gen Apple product...just my personal opinion.
  16. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 23, 2011
    It will have a Liquid Metal case :)
  17. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030


    Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    if u wait for the new design, you prob have to wait for accessories like cases and all that good stuff. I don't want a redesign, i like how MBPs are now
  18. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    I'm not risking doing what I did with the iPad xD
  19. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 23, 2011
    With a Liquid Metal MBP you wouldn't need a case... it would be practically bullet proof! :)
  20. Chiuy macrumors 6502

    May 24, 2011
    NorCal, Bay Area
    What's up with you and liquid metal MBP?
    I bet like $50 on it that the next gen won't have liquid metal. It's JUST RUMORS.
    If they do do liquid metal, do you know how much the MBP going to cost? Probably $100-300 extra.
  21. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

    Apple 26.2

    Jan 1, 2011
    What up, 212?!
    MacRumors are just that. If you need it, get it.
  22. BiggAW macrumors 68030

    Jun 19, 2010
    That's always the debate. It's up to you, but I love my new MBP with an i7 and an SSD.
  23. iphone X macrumors regular

    iphone X

    May 30, 2011
    nobody knows for sure (besides apple) when the Liquid Metal cases are coming out. it might be next year or 2 years from now.:rolleyes:
  24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601


    Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    No you are so wrong. It will be made of Platinum. They gotta match that nice silver color with something expensive. :p

    OP, I'd suggest you go for the upgrade if you need something lighter, I mean absolutely need. Commuter student?
  25. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 23, 2011
    I'm going to hold out until the next refresh / update whatever and whenever it is, even if it is just an speed bumped Sandy Bridge. I want to get a New MBP when they are released and I couldn't afford it back in February. So now I'm ready. Hurry Up and RELEASE something APPLE!

Share This Page