MacBook Pro or MacBook Retina - Please help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Acterveld, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Acterveld macrumors newbie

(think practically, also I'm not spending more than the model listed second)

Hi,

Just coming here for some advice, in early August I'm planning on buying a MacBook pro.
    I was going to wait till next year (going to University in September 2013 for computer science) but want a laptop now so I'm going to go for it.

I already have a desktop: i7 2600k 3.4GHZ (OC to 4.2), 8GB RAM, GTX 570, 64GB SSD for OS, 1TB data HDD

However I fancy getting a Mac, the 2 options are:

MacBook Pro 15" - £1343.20 ish (15% discount)
    2.3GHZ i7
    4GB RAM (I'll upgrade it to 16 a few months after)
    500GB 5400 RPM HDD (will install an SSD sooner or later unless I find the 7200RPM fast enough)
    Antiglare High Definition screen (opinions on this?)

OR

MacBook Retina 15" - £1664.40 (15% discount)
    2.3 GHZ i7
    16 GB RAM
    256GB SSD
    Which machine would you for? I want it to last about 4 years, the extra space on the non-retina and the ability to upgrade is nice but is the Retina really the best option?

2. ZacT94 macrumors regular

You should get the Retina MBP for the portability. Sure it doesn't have an optical drive but you don't need it and you can buy the superdrive if you do. Also you'll need the GPU memory if you're doing Computer Science. If you buy the Retina MBP you won't regret buying it. The display is so brilliant that it makes all other displays look like they came from the stone age. I certainly don't regret buying mine.

3. Acterveld thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think the 256GB SSD Will be enough? Can't afford a 512GB (not at apple prices). I'll use spotify for music and I always have my desktop or an external for storage. Id only put program's like chrome, VLC, Skype, eclipse etc on there and all movies or whatever on an external

4. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

One thing to consider, the MacBook Pro Retina's battery is part of the top case (with keyboard, trackpad, microphone, etc...). When you consume that battery, the whole top case has to be replaced at a cost of approximately $700-800.

5. Acterveld thread starter macrumors newbie

O u c h

With my student offer I get apple care for 3 years, is that included if its "low enough".

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Buying next year and waiting for Haswell is probably better option of the three. Nevertheless, you will have lots of other expenses then.

It's an easy choice. By the time you have bumped the Pro up to an SSD (Samsung 830 seems a popular choice, from around £150 for the 256GB) and added 16GB of RAM (currently £135.59 on Crucial) you will be getting very close to the pricing of the MacBook Pro with retina display.

But you can never "upgrade" the standard Pro to a retina display. Nor can you upgrade it to be slimmer and over 1lb lighter. Don't underestimate the importance of that. You'll be glad of the weight reduction when carrying it around. The retina isn't just slimmer, it is actually slightly smaller in every dimension.

For reference, the HD anti glare screen is the best option to get on the standard MacBook Pro. But I really wouldn't. The retina is so much more versatile.

Whichever option you pick, make sure you get three year Apple Care. Again, you should still be able to get student discount on this I believe. Or some separate insurance which cover accidental damage. Make sure you leave some room in the budget for that.

Finally: This is the first generation of a entirely redesigned product. Apple are often good at nailing first time, but they have also had a few products where there have been some quality control issues that they hadn't quite ironed out in the manufacturing process. So for example the first generation MacBooks were prone to cracking and discolouration (not so good), whereas the first generation unibody MacBook/Pros were by and large solid. Just a word of warning.

It is £159 including VAT. Source: Apple.

7. Acterveld thread starter macrumors newbie

My fried works at a university in affiliation with apple so he gets 3 years free (unsure on details just what I've been told)

I would wait till next year but I'm simply impatient haha, so you reckon I should go with the MBPR listed?

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

By far the better choice. Unless you really want a built in DVD drive. Or to carry around a thicker, heavier computer with a worse display.

9. Acterveld thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll order it early August. Wish I could afford 512 SSD but you can't have everything!

Thanks

10. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

AppleCare only covers defective batteries, not consumed.

11. Abhorred, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

Abhorred macrumors member

This is not really the case. Apple will be charging £159 to replace the rMBP battery, as per their price list on this page: http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Don't spread false rumors. Battery replacement is $199.

You are hereby downvoted by -10 downvotes.

Waiting for the next great thing is a mugs game.

13. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

News to me. That pricing/program is not available to us in Apple's service provider system at the moment nor is it mentioned in the official Retina service manual released to us; battery replacement is available only as the battery complete with top case, keyboard, etc... for the price mentioned above. I guess it's possible by the time the first round of batteries are consumed they will have updated the system for us, as of right now, if you go crazy and consume your battery, you'd better go to the Apple Store because we'll charge you $790.

Attached Files:

14. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Depends on your application. The retina screen is nice, but I personally would still prefer a matte "hi res" 15" or 17" MBP. The limitations in memory and space make the rMBP a bit of a failure in my opinion for serious applications.

For sitting at Star Bucks surfing the web any of them will do.

15. ZacT94 macrumors regular

256GB SSD should definitely be enough then if you're using a desktop for external storage.

16. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Well, I can sit in a Starbucks and review and edit footage from my RED EPIC camera shot in 4K and 5K (although in 1/4 resolution, but to compare my mac pro can only playback at 1/8 res.) I think the RMBP is far from a failure. My footage have never looked so good.
    I do agree that it would be nice if it was more user upgradable though.
    Get a RMBP