Macbook pro or Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikejd1, Mar 6, 2009.

1. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

Ok, my wife and i are in the market to purchase one of these machines. Wanted to see everyone's opinion on this.

Our decision is either the Macbook 2.4ghz or the Macbook pro 2.4Ghz models.

So the difference between the 2 is $449 when i bump the harddrive to 250 Gigs @ 7200. That is the only tweak i made.

I'm curious to see what you think, if the $440 is worth it for:

15" display
    7200 HD speed (big difference between 5400 and 7200??)
    9400+9600m GT 256 graphics

I also have the (late 2007) iMac 24" 2.8 extreme at home. We would only be using this laptop for iphoto, internet, imovie, word processing, traveling, some Photoshop, and music. NO GAMING.

Any advice would help :)

Thanks

Mike

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Don't forget firewire is one of those differences for $440 too..

IMHO, you'll be just find with a MacBook.

3. CSilver macrumors 6502

I would go for the Macbook... I wouldn't even buy 2.4GHz if you aren't really into Photoshop... Macbook Pro would be really good to have but it might be over kill if you really think about it.... I would save my money and get 2.0GHz Macbook or if you aren't in needs right now then I would wait ;P

4. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

MBP for me. Bigger screen alone would be worth it to me. The other things e.g. VRAM and larger hard drive with a faster revolution just add to the plus side. Don't forget longevity either...

5. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks..more info, i have zero need for Firewire or the express slot (as i have a USB air card) and I love the backlit keyboard, so the 2.0 GHz model is out for me

6. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Also keep in mind the higher screen resolution of the Pro. More screen real estate = higher productivity. Especially useful for photo.

7. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I was in the exact same position.
    I use my computer for basic things. nothing major at all.
    But screen quality and size was an issue to me. So I went with the 15" unibody MBP 2.4ghz, i went 2 weeks with the 2.4 unibody 13" macbook. But I figured the extra 2.4" of screen space would be worthy. It definitely was, go for the MBP, if your not liking it within 14 day time frame then exchange it out for the macbook

8. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

is there a restock fee for exchanging?

9. waiwai macrumors regular

no gaming or video encoding?

Macbook will be fine for your use then. Save the money and upgrade the HD yourself.

10. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

good point but where do you find notebook HD's @7200?

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

MacBook. If you need FireWire, just get the white one. It'll be even cheaper.

12. kp98072 macrumors member

I too am confused between the macbook 2.4 and pro 2.4

i have been looking now for a few weeks trying to decide which one to get. I love the screen size of the pro, but I dont know if its too big to lug around when i travel which is about once or twice/month.

The macbook seems very suffice, but i am not just sure enough the screen will be large enough for me...

I guess I could always by the MBP and try it for 14days then return for the smaller one if it doesnt work out, but then I think apple charges a 10% restocking fee :( Is there anyway out of that??

Any advice much appreaciated! thanks

13. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

The only noticeable improvements for the Pro version are: screen size and quality, gaming performance (which you don't care about), and the Firewire and card slots. They are both very fast computers.

14. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

newegg.com is a good place. They have good customer service and are cheap.

macsales.com is also good because they focus on Apple computers. They're honest and reliable, but customer service is just so-so (returns policies especially).

15. getfuzzy77 macrumors newbie

PM me if you go with the macbook, or see my post in this forum.
    Keep in mind the faster HDD will be louder and generate more heat.

16. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I got myself a 15" MBP when the unibodies were first announced and it's great. Prior to that I had a 1st Gen Core Duo BlackBook. My use for that old macbook was much like your use above for a new one, and I didn't have too much trouble with the old model running out of steam, so I can't imagine the newer one struggling.

To be honest, for what you're doing with it, I'd imagine that you'll be fine with the new Macbook. Of the differences between the MB and the MBP, the only thing I can imagine you really using for the stuff you describe above is the bigger screen size, and only you know how big a deal that is. Oh, and Firewire - don't forget that if you need that you really need to go Pro.

17. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Heck yeah - I do this myself and get an empty drive enclosure at the same time. Backup problems solved no trouble!

18. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Please stop sharing false information. That is not true at all. Some are, but those are of bad quality. Take the 7200.4 Seagate for example. Most people I talked to report that the heat has gone DOWN in fact and it's not really any louder.

19. getfuzzy77 macrumors newbie

It isn't false information. 7200 drives do emit more heat and are louder in comparison to 5400 drives. However, most people don't notice it.

20. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Sounds like the biggest issue is the screen real estate. To me, the 13" is the perfect size. I need my macbook to be incredibly portable and that was the deciding factor for me (I was trying to make the exact decision you are). If mine was a desktop replacement, I'd go for the pro. Good luck!

21. desiringGod macrumors regular

I'd go with a refurb 2.0 MB, save $900 (almost $1000 by the time you consider tax) and buy a new HD and ram for less than $150 total and that will be more than enough computer - although the smaller screen needs to be a consideration.

22. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I wonder how an enclosed hdd turning one thousand, eight hundred rounds per minute faster than another is not louder or hotter. Wow.

MB for saving money or ease of portability. MBP for screen estate or better quality of display.

23. waiwai macrumors regular

newegg.com

24. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

25. kp98072 macrumors member

so do you have any issue seeing well on the 13" screen?