MacBook Pro owners who own a MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Mar 13, 2011.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

How much time you spend on your MacBook Pro compared to your MacBook Air?

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

MacBook Pro owners who own a MacBook Air - first thought - boy, I wish I had that much money.

3. iZero macrumors regular

My wife owns the MacBook Air. Basically our iMac is our business rig. The MacBook Pro shares that task when we're away, and when at home it's my "casual" use machine. The MacBook Air is all her's :) I've used it a few times, and I'll say this much. When that setup gets to the MacBook Pros, and it will soon I am sure, I will be very excited. That little thing is a rocket. It puts my MBP to shame with almost everything. If it wasn't for the screen (I just can't get away from glossy, I love it!) and it's size, I would steal it all the time :p If you can stand the small size, you can't go wrong with the Air. Epic machine, truly epic.

4. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

I use my MBP mostly at home and take my MBA to work. I would say on workdays I use the MBA for 1-2 hours a day and the MBP for an hour or so when I get home. On weekends I use mostly the MBP.

5. NorthMac1 macrumors newbie

Gave my 13" MBA to my Wife.

I found the Late 2010 MBA great for travel, but severely under powered for Games. I gave the MBA to my Wife whom loves and now uses the MBA over her desktop. Thus I had a great reason to order 17" MBP 2011 which I now use.
    Later

6. rebby macrumors 6502

Same here. My MBP pretty much lives at my house. The MBA goes with me almost exclusively if I'm going anywhere though.

On a typical workday, I'll use my MBA for about 4-6 hours (portable, meetings, stuff like that). I have a second MBP that I use at work when/if I'm at my desk (about 2 hours or so). I'll spend another 2-3 hours working at home on my MBP.

On weekends, I'll use the MBP the vast majority of the time as well. Unless, of course, I leave the house, then the MBA comes with.

I find that the MBA and MBP complement each other very well. By making efficient use of MobileMe, my iDisk and network storage, it's very easy to keep multiple Mac's in sync which makes a multiple system arrangement very useful.

7. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

LOL, surprising amount of people here have a LOT of Mac's. Cool! To each their own :)

8. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I have 15 mbp 2011 and my wife has 2009 late mb.. I plan to upgrade her mb to mba.... on next refresh.. and steal hers.. "EXCELLENT planning" :D

9. snouter macrumors 6502a

I work on my 17".

I lounge around with my Air.

My Air is a replacement for an iPad 1 I left on a plane, so I mostly use it like I would have used my iPad - on the couch, in the leather chair, at the coffee shop, on a plane, laying in bed listening to podcasts or reading kindle or redtube.

There is no overlap at all in the way I use them.

10. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Are you working from a desk when you're using your 17" or do you use it elsewhere too?

11. snouter macrumors 6502a

It's on a desk connected to an ACD 27". If I need to go somewhere, I can take it with me. I work at other locations, but not often. I have a powerful Windows i7 desktop if I need to render 3d or After Effects.

I usually sell the MBP after about 18 months. I have no interest in an iMac, and could probably use a Mac Pro, but don't like the value proposition of the single CPU models. Both the iMac and the Mac Pro would be harder to sell. I have yet to fail to sell an MBP in less than 2 weeks on Craigslist, usually, faster.

12. aleni macrumors 68020

i do photoshop works with large images and dpi in my 17" mbp unibody, it's a beast with 8GB of ram. but it's so huge that i barely bring it back from my office to my home anymore, so i bought a 11" air and use it at home. it's a joy.

13. mac jones, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

I'll tell you, it's good to have a light + a heavy duty computer. If it's a desktop + a light laptop, that works well.

Personally, I have two laptops and an iPad.

I have a new 17" and a new Air. Of course i'd love to just use the 17, but it's a FREAKIN BEAST :D.

Does make the Air seem like it's made out of hydrogen though :)

Note: I'm a tad older than some here and have virtually gone into severe debt buying these , to where mean guys are looking for me. So don't be envious. At least you'll be able to walk :)

See you......maybe.

14. tim100 macrumors 65816

i use the mba most of the time. i forgot how much loader and hotter the mbp is compared to the mba.

15. d0minick macrumors 6502

Wifey has the Air 11' 2gb. I have the pro. I use my pro for everything. But i'll use the Air every once in a while, its extremely light, if it ever catches up to the pro line, i would use it as my primary in a second. All i have used it for is dialing in and doing some remote work. with remote desktop, chrome, and itunes open, it still runs smooth. Get the air if you travel, the pro if you travel and have serious work, that easy, the 13 in pro is very light.

16. d0minick macrumors 6502

everyone spends $$ differently. You seem to have a nice little apple collection going there! :p

17. rebby macrumors 6502

Mainly my desk but I do use it as a "laptop" quite often as well. I spent some time on both my couch and in bed coding last night. The 17" is plenty comfortable to "go portable" with.

18. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

This would make me cry. :(

19. ozred macrumors 6502

In terms of daily Mon - Fri use, my 15" 8GB / OCZ Vertex 3 equipped MBP, is used a lot, I'd say 85% of the time.

When I fly which is frequently the MBA is my constant companion.

20. JayDH macrumors 6502

I had a 13" MBA Ultimate and then got the new 2.2GHZ 15" MBP. I decided that for the limited time I need a machine away from the desk, the MBP did the trick. So I returned the MBA. The MBA is a great machine though, and if I traveled more, I'd consider an 11" MBA over an iPad 2.

21. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

I mostly use my 15" 2010 MBP at home, hooked up to an external display as a desktop. But when it's LAN Party time I'll take it down and use it to play some games.

Otherwise, I have an 11" Air that I use for travel most of the time. I work for an airline so I travel a lot and the Air is perfect.