MacBook Pro: Penryn or Montevina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by piazza31, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. piazza31 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    #1
    I am waiting for the new MacBook Pro to come out with Penryn processor, but I don't know if it's better to wait longer for the Montevina chipset, which should give a boost in terms of overall performance, according to several threads on the subject. Should I notice many differences between the two models?
    Given that rumors about a forthcoming MBP update are consistent, I wonder when the Montevina ones will be released... I suppose not before September-October (at least 6 months after the rumored speed bump with Penryn).

    Am I trying to predict too much? :)

    What's your opinion?
     
  2. atomicparker macrumors member

    atomicparker

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2003
    Location:
    Ottawa, ON
    #2
    I think I'd be happy with any update right about now. Apple?
     
  3. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #3
    I've been wondering the same thing. I could get by another 6 months with my PowerBook, but I don't really want to...
     
  4. piazza31 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    #4
    That's similar to me, I own a Powerbook G4 12inch 867Mhz, 40 Gb with 1Gb Ram..... it's very difficult to resist now, but I want to, and I also want a new Mac.
     
  5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

    Stridder44

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #5
    I always recommend waiting (assuming an update is imminent...like the MBP's are right now for example) but Montevina is a ways away, like Fall-ish.

    If you can wait that long then yeah go for it.

    /awaiting the idiot who tells you to "Just buy it now if you need it. The MBP is a fine machine blah blah blah"
     
  6. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    Just buy it now if you need it. The MBP is a fine machine blah blah blah
     
  7. llorxela macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    #7
    I know what you mean. I am going off to uni next year and I want a mac but I don't know if the Montevina updates will be out before i leave. There also is a possibility of new mbp's coming out during wwdc with the Montevina chipset. It's pretty much a gamble.
     
  8. Rich89 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    #8
    It pretty much depends on you, no one can answer your question because no-one knows whats coming and when. I am one of the alleged 'idiots' who decided to buy a computer that may be updated soon (because buying a computer that wont be the newest model forvever would be retarded, right Stridder???) It saddens me to know that some people can't comprehend that other people may have a different situation to themselves, sigh :) If you want to wait longer then do so.
     
  9. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #9
    I think as it's been said before, the update to Montevina is a pretty long way from now. I was thinking a similar thing to you but I will buy one after the upcoming update and then assess the situation when the montevina updates come.

    Montevina is meant to be released around May (which would suggest in time for WWDC), but there are rumours about Intel pushing Montevina back due to the delays with the mobile Penryn chips.

    Also, the update to Montevina could make the MBP more expensive because it will support DDR3 RAM instead of DDR2.
     
  10. patp77 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    #10
    I think it really boils down to:

    1) Are you doing anything that would use all the resources on a current laptop?
    2) Are you willing to wait or can you afford to wait? (if yes, then keep waiting until this becomes a no) :)

    If you are doing anything that would use all the resources on the current MBP, then you may be tempted to wait a little longer as I don't believe the next update will be anything major other than possibly the multi-touch keypad and some minor speed bumps across the board.

    If you aren't doing anything that would use all the resources on the current MBP then I think you can go back to the second question and decide for yourself.

    Also, in the last few years, I've noticed that no updates have come around August/September as they generally run a promotion for a free iPod with the purchase of a computer to move stock while they get ready for the next update (which generally seems to be October/November). Whether it's the Macbook Pro, Macbook, Macbook Air, iMac, etc... that gets updated around that time is anyone's guess. So if no updates occur between now and July, it's pretty safe to assume that if you need it for September, you might as well buy it with the promotion unless you can afford to wait a few more months with the "hope" that an update is announced and brings you a computer that serves your purposes better than the school promotion which includes the iPod.
     
  11. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #11
    Buy at the update. Or wait. But buy immediately when updated. No update is going to provide that significant of a boost. But at the same time you don't want to buy right before one. Anything more complicated than that is dain bramage and not worth losing sleep over.
     
  12. Butthead macrumors 6502

    Butthead

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    #12
    Current Penryn CPU's in the T-series Apple is employing have a TDP of 35w, future Monteviña T-series or others will have lower TDP. DDR3 might be more expensive, but it all depends on volume production and the volatile RAM market. DDR3 are supposed to be more energy efficient in design.

    The Santa Rosa/Penryn updates may or may not have LED bl screens, may or may not have multi-touch trackpads. May or may not have significant GPU upgrades, most likely will NOT have a SSD option (too expensive right now).

    Monteviña based MBP's, will *likely* have an 128GB SSD Samsung 1.8in option, as Samsung claims they will have both the 9.5mm thick 2.5in 3 platter 500GB HD & 128GB SSD 1.8in in production by March 2008. GPU upgrades are a given by launch of a Monte MBP. LED bl, more than likely.

    Power saving tech, LED bl, lower TDP of the CPU, more efficient DDR3 on a slightly faster FSB, all means either noticeably higher performance would be possible, or a compromise for significantly longer battery life.

    One thing Lenovo already has as an $600 option to their Thinkpad line, is a BR drive. If not available on the Penryn/SR update, then surely by Monteviña. Monteviña is due in May according to the digitimes cache below, not that Apple will have a system shipping by then.

    http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...ontevina+CPUs+in+May&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

    Of course what we really want is turbo cooling and that QX9300 45w TDP Quad Core in a 16in or 18.4in MBP. :D
     
  13. Stella macrumors 604

    Stella

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003
    Location:
    Canada
    #13
    And by the time Montevina comes out you'll be thinking "maybe I should wait to see what gets unveiled at MWSF in 2009, just *another* 4 months.... and so on....
     
  14. Yixian macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Europe
    #14
    Would it be unrealistic to expect a Motevina MBP by July?

    What kind of GPU are we looking at for a summer MBP?
     
  15. bubble27 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2007
    #15
    Same situation, i just have to wait a couple of months so i can save up enough cash.

    Since we dont know what the updates are gona be...i've decided to check out what the next MBPs gona have. I prefer to wait for montevina since thats a real upgrade and not a speed bump however if the first upgrade has:
    Better Proc.
    GPU
    LED
    HDMI output
    Maybe blue ray
    :rolleyes:
    then i dont see a reason to hang...
    I dont really mind the Montevina update since its mainly to boost battery life.
     
  16. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

    Santabean2000

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #16
    New tech is always, 'just around the corner'. I suggest waiting the max time possible, until you just HAVE to buy a new comp - and do it after the latest release at that time. That way you'll maximise your satisfaction on the new comp, it will come with the latest and greatest, and to jump on the whole corporate eco bandwagon - buying fewer Macs over time is better for the environment.

    You'll be surprised how a bit of effort can milk an extra 6 months from a taxed machine.

    Don't be a consumer sucker.
     
  17. Albal macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    #17
    My PB is totally taxed, what can I do to milk some more from it?

    I'm bursting to get a new computer, but damn I don't want to be gutted in two weeks if they have a new MPB coming out. Get me?

    So question is: What can I do to un-tax my totally taxed PB?
     
  18. John Purple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    #18
    Why not wait for the mobile quadcore (in fall 2008) or better for the second generation of the mobil quadcores, which will be faster and less power consuming (2009?) or even for (put your fantasy in here) in 2010 ?
    Well, that kind of decision making problems is known since the stone age (at least since the stone age of computer industry :p )
    As everybody seems to be expecting an upgrade for MBP in the next 3 to 4 weeks you should wait until then, but not longer - unless: Why not wait for the mobile .quadcore....
     
  19. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #19
    I don't know if this is worth it for two weeks ;) or not, but by all means, bump that puppy up to 2GB! You should have done that ages ago!
     
  20. Albal macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    #20
    I've wanted to do this, however I am very ham fisted when it comes to small screws, and fiddly operations. So, as easy as it is, taking the back off the PB isn't a particularly cost-effective thing for me to do.

    I could use the iMac, but CS3 isn't on that computer... and as far as I know (which isn't very far!) you can't put the apps on that computer that have been installed on this one...?

    I just checked iStat, and activity monitor, and it appears as though it's the processor that is holding me up, not the ram. With about 200MB free, the processor is maxed almost all the time with only illustrator (87%), iTunes (3%), safari (1 tab) (7%) and an external HDD attached. Percentage is how much CPU is being used by each.

    Time for a new computer... unless there is something else I can do?!
     
  21. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

    Santabean2000

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #21
    Strip out all the cr@p and bloat from you hard drive to start - be ruthless. Some programs will have different language options, I'm picking English is the only one you need. Axe old files - use programs like WhatSize to see what's taking up all that room. Archive stuff you don't need to have on your PB to DVDs or external HDDs - perhaps consider Time Capsule, (would be sweet for when you do pick up a new comp later), as a way to easily access stuff previously on your internal drive.

    Check the model of your PB, I got a free new battery from Apple with the recall they did, (not sure if that's still applicable).

    Max out the RAM if you haven't done so already - it's cheap as chips these days.

    Anyone else with other ideas..?
     
  22. Mac Donald Duck macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #22
    MBP February 2008 update:
    -New keyboard
    -New Form factor (thinner and lighter)
    -SantaRosa Refresh with Penryn (45 nm)
    -Nvidia 8700m GT (?could be?)
    -New HD (more capacity options)
    -New Trackpad
    -some new minor features improvement
    -4 gb ram (could be)

    MBP October 2008 refresh
    -New CPU Penryn
    -Montevina Tecnology
    -New customization options (HD;SSD;Blu Ray disk, ecc.)
     
  23. John Purple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    #23
    Yes you can use your apps on different computers and you're allowed to, because you buy a license for one user (you), but not for one computer. So if both computers are yours, go ahead. Only one technical thing: if you have an app on two computers and they are connected in one LAN, you might not be able to open the app on both machines at the same time (depending on the software, I don't know CS3, but Aperture can be oppened twice).
     
  24. Albal macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    #24
    Okay, thanks. Good ideas. How do I get rid of the other languages? I can use computers, but wouldn't call my self really good.

    The only files I currently have on the PB are about 15GB of photos and 55GB of music. The rest is the OS, Adobe CS3 and Quinn Tetris. I made the big big big mistake doing a re-install a few months ago. I forgot to save the data and xml files of my iTunes library and lost all ratings, play counts etc and update the music back onto my iPod's after I took it all back from my usb (!!) external HDD. It took a while. Pretty reluctant to move my library to external drive. Photos are a similar issue...

    There is quite literally nothing on the computer except music, pictures, OS and CS3!

    With the languages, how do you do that?

    My PB isn't/wasn't eligible for a free new battery, mine had done 600 cycles so I recently bought a new one. I had to also get a new power adapter - mine blew up.

    John Purple - Thanks for that info. I'd never bothered to try to install it on the iMac - I assumed that it wouldn't work! Will be doing that...

    Anyway, this is well OT. Fingers crossed for a a new MBP very very soon!
     
  25. tanjacob macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    #25
    I was burnt in July 2006 when I got a PC. The new Core 2 Duo (Merom) was due to come out in August 2006 but I couldn't wait. In the end, I ended up with a Core Duo which was superseded in less than two months. For all the hubbub about Santa Rosa, it wasn't too spectacular. I see new platforms as basically less important compared to new chips. So I decided to pass Montevina especially after seeing what it offers. If I have to wait I'd rather wait for Nehalem which comes after Penryn. Montevina is good, but isn't worth waiting for several months IMO.
     

Share This Page