MacBook Pro problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonstryke, Apr 22, 2012.

1. dragonstryke macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I purchased a MBP early 2010 and have recently experienced several problems with it (hardware related). To start, I am not very good with macs or computers in general.

So recently (past 2-3 weeks) the MBP would go into sleep mode by itself and freeze in sleep mode and not turn back on; unless I hold the power button and it fully shuts off. This happens also when it is plugged into the outlet.

I brought it to the apple store and they couldn't find out what the problem is but we also ran into another problem. One of the ram sticks were dead and it has been running on 2gb of ram for who knows how long. The guy at the genius bar things that this might have caused the problem of the laptop freezing in sleep mode.

As of now, my MBP is running with one stick of ram and when I turned it on today it kept making a beeping sound; it eventually turned on and now my question is if that it is more than just a ram issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On a side note, my warranty has expired in February and I don't have apple care. Is there a way to prove that the ram died before February? or am I out of luck here. I know ram is relatively cheap but if it is more than a ram issue it will suck.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Beeping is probably RAM failure.
    If the beeping was SOS in morse code (...- - -...) that is logic board problem.

3. iforbes macrumors 6502

I hate to be gullible, but is that true?

4. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I'm surprised the Apple tech could not identify the problem and offer a flat fee repair charge. You might try running the AHT to see if any problems are revealed. Also, RAM is dirt cheap now. You can replace your RAM for less than $50 and see if that resolves the issue. I don't know of any way to prove when the RAM went bad.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2538?viewlocale=en_US#

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yes, the beeping in morse code is sign that you have a dead logic board.
    your sleep indicator also flashes in a morse code patter (. . . - - - . . .)

It can mean firmware update, but if this happens out of no where, it must be dead logic.
    It can also mean a dead RAM but it would have a beep and 5 sec pause and beep again.

6. dragonstryke, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

dragonstryke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies so far!

Anyways, they did offer me to replace the dead stick of ram for 80$ which is quite overpriced since ram is so cheap now. But this is not the problem.

You mentioned AHT... could you explain to me what that is?

Thanks!

Edit: are dead logic boards replaceable? and do I have to do it through apple if it is actually a dead logic board?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

According the KB, the only sequence close is:
    ——— • • • ——— which is O S O

Close, though. :)

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Hmm this definitely sounds like a SOS morse code to me :/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzLqYuesm2I&feature=related

It maybe just my ears playing tricks but this sounds like 3 short 3 long 3 short.

9. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

AHT - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1883

You can have Apple replace the logic board, have a certified repair facility do it, or if you are technically inclined do it yourself. There are numerous videos online detailing the self repair. I'm no good at fixing computers so I would probably go with option 1 or 2.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You are so right! I hadn't heard it personally - I was just going off the KB article.

(side note: though not very proficient, I have some training and experience with code as I've been a licensed HAM since '76 when you had to pass a code exam. Though that was only 5 WPM, and a long time ago. When I got active again in '04, I've off and on tried to relearn and can recognize short phrases. It's on my list of projects to be able to hold a full conversation with just a key and my ears (I can do it with keyboard and decoding s/w, but it kinda defeats the purpose and fun of doing it myself.).)

11. jaqueh macrumors member

I have gotten the morse code before but mine turned out to be a ram slot malfunction. I believe the POST will just shoot out whatever message is the most relevant, so perhaps at that point there were more errors than the ram itself

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah, this is suppose to show logic board failure.
    Im not sure the OSO post is, if its either a mistake or there is another type of morse code built in.