Macbook Pro RAM Compatibility

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheZTwin, Aug 3, 2011.

1. TheZTwin, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

TheZTwin macrumors newbie

2. simsaladimbamba

Not compatible, as that is 240-pin desktop RAM, but you either need DDR2 200-pin notebook RAM or DDR3 204-pin notebook RAM.
    Look at the following guide to find out what you RAM you need:

3. TheZTwin thread starter macrumors newbie

More Memory

Is that MBP model limited to 2x2 GB memory, or can it have more?

4. Herrow macrumors regular

5. TheZTwin thread starter macrumors newbie

Processor Support

My MBP has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and Need to know the maximum RAM speed that it can support. I'm thinking of getting a Memory card with 1600 MHz, and I just want to know if that extra speed will just go to waste.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com
    • By using Mactracker
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which GPU does it have? If it's the 330M or 320M, then it supports 8GB maximum at 1066MHz.

Also, if its a MBP with the 9400M or 9600M GT it also support 8GB at the same speeds.

Faster RAM is known to be supported by slower bus systems. The RAM will just work at the system's speed. Example, the RAM you buy is 1600MHz, but the system supports a max speed of 1066MHz. That means the sticks will work with the system at the highest system speed (1066MHz).

However, Macs have temperamental issues with mismatched speeds of Macs. So be aware of this.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

It'll be useless as the memory will be downclocked to what your chipset can use. And in real life, you wouldn't notice the difference in RAM speed.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, you need 667MHz DDR2 200-pin memory. That is the fastest you can use.

10. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I actually went with Lexar RAM (just upgraded last week actually) and on the box it was listed as BOTH 1066 MHz and 1333 MHz. My system (mid 2009 2.53 GHz C2D) is listed as using 1066 MHz. So I knew the RAM would work either way. The RAM should have just defaulted to the 1066 MHz.

What I find interesting, is that in System Information, it says it's running at the 1333 MHz! If my system can only utilize 1066 MHz tops, then why is the RAM actually running at 1333 MHz? Shouldn't it say 1066 MHz under System Information?

Anyway, you CAN use higher speed memory without any issues (of course its possible you could also have issues too) I am using higher speed RAM without issues... Although I don't know if it's actually using the extra speed or if it's just listing it in System Information. I have not had any issues at all though, aside from needing to reset the SMC once I installed it. (I started having some sleep issues which started after installing the new RAM, and resolved as soon I reset the SMC)

If the high speed RAM costs more though, I wouldn't bother paying the extra. The Lexar RAM I bought was both speeds... and there was no cheaper alternative locally in stock (not that it was expensive either - it was about 100.00 CDN for 2 x 4 GB sticks....comparable with online prices LOL)

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I believe the unibody C2Ds can use the 1333MHz stuff, or at least most can run them at 1333MHz. The OP's computer is not a unibody and uses DDR2, which goes up to 800MHz, but I'm less certain that the faster stuff would work in that model.

12. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/Core2/

Supports up to 6GB (Really it does, no joke) if it is the Early 2008,

if it's the late 2008 unibody it supports 8GB.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

on OWC you can mail back your old ram for a rebate.