MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

162229-2010_macbook_pro_front.jpg

Much has been made of Intel's issues with a design error on its new Cougar Point chip used with its Sandy Bridge processors and whether the company's need to produce revised hardware will delay a highly-anticipated refresh of Apple's MacBook Pro lineup.

But a new report from AppleInsider suggests that any delays appear to be minor, on the order of two weeks for machines already in production.
However, one person familiar with the matter tells AppleInsider that some -- not all -- of the company's upcoming MacBook Pros were affected by the situation. According to this person, the Mac maker elected to make minor tweaks to the logic boards of those models, but that those changes would translate to a delay of less than two weeks.

Reading between the lines can only lead to speculation that Apple was an early recipient of some of those Cougar Point chipsets from Intel, and that the changes it's making involve tweaks to SATA ports that those MacBook Pros will utilize.
The report notes that supplies of the MacBook Pro continue to tighten beyond the initial constraints we reported late last month. Notably, Apple had reportedly offered major retailers restocking dates of late January for MacBook Pro models but has since pushed those dates out by a week several times.

Intel has officially announced that it will begin shipping the dual-core Sandy Bridge chips for notebooks on February 20th, with those chips expected to be used in the revised MacBook Pros.

Article Link: MacBook Pro Refresh Seeing Only Minor Delays Due to Intel Problems?

laser71

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Canada
I wish the source had given a little bit more information about when they would be released!

*patiently waiting*

GreyHare

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
Austin, TX
The problem with the chipset was with SATA ports 2-5. Ports 0 and 1 weren't affected. How many chipset SATA ports does an MBP use? I'd be surprised if it was more than two (DVD-R and hard drive), so those broken ports aren't hooked up to anything anyway.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
Well! I'll be waiting to buy mine until I'm sure the channel has been cleared of these hacked/patched motherboards.

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
should i return the 13 MBP i got last week and wait for the newchipset? Im happy with the machine but is the i3 really worth it?

I'd suggest reading reviews comparing the current first gen core-i macs vs previous core2duos then decide if the performance boost is worth it for what you would use the machine for. Bearing in mind that the second gen core-i series is slightly better in all aspects.

DocStrange

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
should i return the 13 MBP i got last week and wait for the newchipset? Im happy with the machine but is the i3 really worth it?

Depending on how long you intend on keeping your machine and what types of applications you use with it, getting the next MBP with the (assumed) new chip will futureproof your machine to a greater degree than the current (overpriced) C2D.

In addition, the assumption is that macbook prices stay relatively the same, so you'll get better stuff under the hood for the same price in a few weeks or so.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

162229-2010_macbook_pro_front.jpg

Much has been made of Intel's issues with a design error on its new Cougar Point chip used with its Sandy Bridge processors and whether the company's need to produce revised hardware will delay a highly-anticipated refresh of Apple's MacBook Pro lineup.

But a new report from AppleInsider suggests that any delays appear to be minor, on the order of two weeks for machines already in production.The report notes that supplies of the MacBook Pro continue to tighten beyond the initial constraints we reported late last month. Notably, Apple had reportedly offered major retailers restocking dates of late January for MacBook Pro models but has since pushed those dates out by a week several times.

Intel has officially announced that it will begin shipping the dual-core Sandy Bridge chips for notebooks on February 20th, with those chips expected to be used in the revised MacBook Pros.

Article Link: MacBook Pro Refresh Seeing Only Minor Delays Due to Intel Problems?

check what engadget posted, 14th of feb, not 20.
http://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/034C09F1-2F86-45A0-8A51-85A33E4B4969/PCN110456-00.pdf

sza

Suspended
Dec 21, 2010
Anyway, apple will never ever use the best Intel cpu or even better cpu from the fastest level. The i7 2600 is such a dilemma.

Macuser1313

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
Wait for new series

Today is the last day I can return the new MBP 13. This is my first mac and I love it but also want to make sure I dont end up with this and few weeks later i could have got better technology...

Not too much hard use...just basic computing....

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
The problem with the chipset was with SATA ports 2-5. Ports 0 and 1 weren't affected. How many chipset SATA ports does an MBP use?...

Excuse the idiocy of this question, but what is the point in having 6 SATA ports of only 2 are going to be used? Can a laptop be upgraded to utilize more ports or is this not a customizable feature?

I'd hate to be an early adopter on this refresh. Some hacked solution to fix the problem.

F that.

So after all this waiting... we're going to have to wait even longer! Sigh... I've been getting the short end of the "stick of life" for that 6 months now.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I agree. Besides, waiting for the back to school promotion before I jump on to replace mine.

Especially if there's a Macbook Air refresh at the end of summer like recent rumors state. I'd be all over that like PB on Jelly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.